Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
May 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,161 of 3,495
  Anyone know how to control Audirvana Plus in standalone mode through iPad without involving iTunes at all?

Supposedly the upcoming A+ V2 will have its own IOS app that will do exactly what you are asking.  The current Apple Remote, as mentioned above, will work fine with A+ in iTunes integrated mode, though.  I control things that way, and it works very well.

May 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,163 of 3,495
Where do people get these rumours about Audirvana Plus V2?
Here. There's a link & from there a sample screen shot of A+ v2.0
http://www.head-fi.org/t/539740/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes/2080_20#post_10496334

May 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #2,164 of 3,495
I think we only get license free upgrades all the way to 1.9.x on A+ so I guess 2 will require a new license upgrade. Great thing about A+ though is all the formats are not restricted to higher tier pricing upgrades for FLAC like that other one which is ludicrous.

Is that 2.0 ported to iTunes or are they re-making the GUI like iTunes ?
They could have made an excellent sleeker GUI than the current one...silver and neon green display would be excellent !
He should have just opened it up to community skinning add-ons they he can focus on audio code.

May 27, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,166 of 3,495
  Why do you suggest current licensees will need to pony up again?

I remember reading that we get free upgrades up to 1.9.x on his blog I think, but that may have changed.

May 27, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,167 of 3,495
Where do people get these rumours about Audirvana Plus V2?
Here. There's a link & from there a sample screen shot of A+ v2.0
http://www.head-fi.org/t/539740/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes/2080_20#post_10496334

Interesting...I guess they felt they needed to update the interface to be more of a library manager like iTunes or JRiver. I personally don't like that too much, but it is useful for some.

Just so people don't have to click on a link to click on another link to get to the screenshot:
11326d1395088900-audirvana-1-5-12-audirvanaplus-pre2.0.png

And this:
http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201405/11/14439.html
From Google Translate:
In addition, a prototype of the next version is a classic player for Mac software "Audirvana Plus" was on display in the booth. The company has worked on the development in testing the new version of Audirvana Plus so far, but this time with was supposed to be by courtesy of Damien Pillson Mr. developer, is carried out in the company's booth showing off the new design. Design that can be direct selection of music iTunes music library is adopted, it's also possible stepless adjustment of the size of the artwork in the new version. With the beta version at this stage, there is a possibility that such design may be changed in the final version, but it is encouraging to this sophisticated design.

12373d1399874987-audirvana-1-5-12-17_1.jpg

If you ask me, it looks more primative than native Mac-like apps since the grey colouring looks odd to me as if it were a Mac OS X 10.4 app or something like that.

May 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #2,168 of 3,495
If it at least minimizes down to something like original VOX that would be fine for me !
Can any of you hear a major difference between integer mode 1 and 2 ?

May 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2,169 of 3,495
I'm really finding Amarra and Pure Music to be the best sounding...  I now have the Chord Hugo and Pure Music is killing everything else...  Only problem being is that functionally it sucks ass and doesn't always connect, looks like a pop up ad from soviet russia, sometimes doesn't play certain albums until you reboot...  Other than that it's rad.

May 28, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #2,170 of 3,495
If there's one thing I want from Audirvana Plus V2 considering it's radical new user interface, it's that I would like to see usb drives detected and scanned similar to JRiver Media Center. It really makes it easy for people to use during local meets since they just plug in their USB stick into a computer and click on their drive to browse music.

May 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,173 of 3,495
To this day I don't completely understand what secure ripping is. I boot into Windows via Boot Camp and use EAC to rip CDs for peace of mind. I've tried XLD in the past, but I don't know what half the settings do and every time I've tried to rip something, it would take many hours.

I think it would be cool if Audirvana Plus had that feature, but I don't think it should be the main focus. After all, we're talking about a dedicated audiophile media player, not an all-in-one solution.

Does anyone know if CDs can be played with JRiver Media Center? If you try to open a CD in Audirvana Plus, it takes way too long to play through a single song.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2,174 of 3,495
Cannot seem to get 24/44 on my Sabre U2 DAC for portable use on A+
The Macbook Air defaults to this after I chose 24-bit in midi settings on OSX but the settings with
ES9018 USB DAC seem to be 16/44 or 24/anything higher than 44. I did not find much of a difference with anything higher than original 44 (more air/separation or just pure imagination ????!!!!) but I would like to get the bit-length at max it can do....frustrating !

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #2,175 of 3,495
Interesting...I guess they felt they needed to update the interface to be more of a library manager like iTunes or JRiver. I personally don't like that too much, but it is useful for some.

If you ask me, it looks more primative than native Mac-like apps since the grey colouring looks odd to me as if it were a Mac OS X 10.4 app or something like that.

I didn't
smily_headphones1.gif
, but since you mention it, I don't agree that it looks like something from 10.4. Non-native mac-like is JRiver! (I honestly have no idea what the attraction is to JRiver). However, I'm with you on the library manager front. Library manager means that the app gets bigger and heavier - something I'm not particularly keen on.  What I'd like is a mini player that stays on top of other windows. Also, whatever you think of the interface, surely it's better that what there is now?! I really wish we could at least resize that great atrocity of an amp!

@Lohb: If you are using A+, you shouldn't need to go into the Midi settings unless you are checking something (i.e. you don't need to manually change bitrates). Once you've selected the device in the A+ settings, what bitrates does it show? If it's not showing the full range of bitrates, check the Midi settings. Does it show the full range? If not, try unplugging then plugging back in the USB cable if the DAC is not independently powered (i.e. by a battery or electric source). If the DAC is powered, turn it off and turn it back on again while it is still plugged into the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back