Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
May 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,147 of 3,495
Why does Vox sound so much darker than Cog? Anyone?

May 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,148 of 3,495
Why does Vox sound so much darker than Cog? Anyone?

I don't know if it sounds better, but to me the interface is far superior.

I do think A+ and other up sampling libs sound better but I could just be that it brings the audiofool out in me :wink:

Then again it could be that these things depend upon your partnering equipment, or maybe by saying that I'm guilty of one or more on this list.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Fun/Woo.htm

May 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,150 of 3,495
I don't like the UI on Vox. If I could make it full - screen it might be better. It definitely sounds warmer than either Cog or JRiver.

May 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,151 of 3,495
Anyone know how to control Audirvana Plus in standalone mode through iPad without involving iTunes at all?

May 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,152 of 3,495
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you talking about the UI ? I'll try later today

Yes. Just the Ui. I think it's great. But I guess it's a personal thing as zorrofox above would like some thing different.

But I bought the snake oil mad love audrivana+, personally. I love the iTunes integration and the upsampling. Feel spoilt using the remote on my ipad in bed. Technology has come a long way, it's ridiculous.

May 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2,154 of 3,495
Maybe some sort of Remote Desktop app?

Try Screen VNC by Edovia. Works great within your home LAN. You can even control your desktop over the internet. :)

May 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,155 of 3,495
  Anyone know how to control Audirvana Plus in standalone mode through iPad without involving iTunes at all?

Remote Desktop or implementing your own api to remotely control Audirvana are the only ways in standalone mode since Audirvana itself doesn't have any server module to be accessed through network.
A good alternative for Mac to iTunes+Audirvana in order to have a remote access to your music library and control the playback would be the Music Player Daemon server which can ben installed on OS X and whose the Ipad client app. is pretty well designed.

May 27, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2,156 of 3,495
Or use JRiver which has an official iOS app and an unofficial Android app (Gizmo).

May 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #2,157 of 3,495
May 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #2,159 of 3,495
Apple's remote app can be used for controlling Apple products such as iTunes and Apple TV but not other third-party applications. But Lohb want to control Audirvana Plus without involving iTunes at all (running in standalone mode instead of iTunes integrated mode). Instead I have been using Rowmote Pro app on my iPhone 5 to control all applications include latest Audirvana Plus 1.5.12 in Mac OS 10.9.3 on iMac without any issue. In fact if you have jailbroken Apple TV, it can be used for Apple TV as well and you can forget about Apple Remote app all together. Rowmote Pro app is Apple Magic Trackpad and Apple Remote Control rolled into one with smooth handling of user gestures.

May 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,160 of 3,495
Thanks littletree for pointing that out. I didn't read carefully and thought Audirvana has a separate mode for iTunes-like remote app just like I do with foobar2000.
You can remote control playback using the iPad/iPhone Apple Remote App that controls iTunes. You use the iTunes integrated mode of Audirvana Plus for this. In this mode iTunes acts only as a remote control for A+. If your files that are not recognized natively by iTunes (e.g. FLAC, Cue Sheets, DSD, …) you can use the “Add Files to iTunes” command in the Audirvana Plus menu to create small proxy files that’ll be catalogued in iTunes and enable playing of all those files using the iPad/iPhone Remote app.

For desktop remote app, I used Splashtop occasionally on my iPad. On the iPhone it would be painful for your eyes, that's why I still prefer the simpler music-only remote if available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back