M50 vs DT 990 vs ???? Newbie Question
Sep 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Carlov

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi.

As you can guess from the title i'm new in this forum and new to the "headphones" thing. Searched a while to find out what the "best buy" would be for me in my price range (which is ~125£). Many people recommended M-50 and DT 990 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315167962&sr=1-1 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/ATH-M50-Audio-Technica/dp/B000UVGI6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315231812&sr=1-1). They are both around my price range, but as far as i have read, the DT990 need an ampliflier to sound "good". It doesn't matter if it's closed or open.

My three questions:
1) How much difference does a portable ampliflier do and what ampliflier should i get if im willing to pay about 25£?
2) Is there any alternative to M50 and DT990 that i should consider?
3) What should i get?

What i'm going to use the headphone for:

Music(Everything but classical)
Games(NOT a high priority)

Im going to use it one the move(15%) (iPod Classic) and on my PC(85%) (not a laptop, Onboard soundcard)

Cheers Carlov

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 13
What exactly are you looking for?  The M50 and DT990 are rather different.  M50 has more bass and a much closed-congested sound and is also off timbre in the high mids-highs compared to the DT990-- it's a rather metallic/tinny timbre.

You'd probably want a portable amp/dac instead of just an amp.  It would make more of a difference than just double amping off your laptop or iPod.

Alternatives to both, well, I was in that same boat.  I wanted the bass quantity of the M50, but I wanted the  'open' and crisp sound of the DT990.  I arrived at the Denon D2000-- a rather nice middle-road.  There is also the DT770 as well, it's the closed version of the DT990.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
What exactly are you looking for?

Well i'm pretty confused myself :) I just want to buy something where i dont get ripped off. I am currently using some ****ty 15£ headphones, so i guess everything will be an improvement.

Quote:
M50 has more bass and a much closed-congested sound and is also off timbre in the high mids-highs compared to the DT990-- it's a rather metallic/tinny timbre.

More bass (that i get), but the other things are pretty far away from my knowledge (but i will investigate that).

Denon D2000  and DT770 you say? I will have a look on them. Is the open headphones more comfortable than the closed ones? (i guess they are)

Thank you for the fast and good answer

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 13
In general they are, but it always depends.  All beyers are pretty comfortable because they have big, velour pads with decently big cups.  The Denons are extremely comfortable for being a closed headphone with pleather pads.  They're true circumaural, and barely clamp.  

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 13
The denons shouldn't be more expensive than the 990s, unless you're referring to the pro version. If you're getting the pro version then you definitely want a capable amp. Also it's not rare to find used- like new denons for around 200usd.

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Just realized the Denon's are double the price = not an option. Think im just gonna stick with m50 or DT990

I have the DT 990 Pro, and for me it's a fantastic headphone that's comfortable and extremely well built. Also everything I've plugged them in to and played through them - everything just sounds right! You might not appreciate this until you make the mistake of purchasing a headphone that has a signature that you naturally disagree with....in other words unknowingly purchasing a headphone that's no good for the genres you listen to (some great for classical but not bass heavy or rock music) ....... anyway, you shouldn't need an amp and they'll sound fantastic to the average ear - in fact they sound so good you could close your eyes and imagine stood in the recording studio lol. 

BUT

An amp is strongly advisable. As is a decent DAC. Also the DT 990 Pro is open backed so if using on the go it might be an issue - though with public transport in this country and blaring music full volume straight from the iPhone from ignorant teens your open backs nobody will be bothered with. 

You could pick up the Fiio E7 and use that  as your portable DAC Amp unit (2 in 1 essentially) for home use and on the go. But you have to realise at some point that while everyone likes to search for a bargain and spend as little money as possible on 1 purchase naturally, you have to accept that you won't get quality on the cheap. Your headphones cost a fair bit and so should an supporting equipment you buy. Also do your research with supporting equipment too, synergy with your headphone is important.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
The denons shouldn't be more expensive than the 990s, unless you're referring to the pro version

They only Denon 2000d i could find on amazon.co.uk was around 200£. Used is of course an option too.

Sounds like you really like the 990s. And you recommend getting an amplifier. Well, maybe i should push my budget just a bit further to get a decent amp (Fiio E7?). I see #9 agree with you on that point :) It would be stupid to buy "expensive" headphones with a bad supporting equipment. Thanks for the good answer(s) :D

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Sounds like you really like the 990s. And you recommend getting an amplifier. Well, maybe i should push my budget just a bit further to get a decent amp (Fiio E7?).

Sure, especially for on the go. It's a decent amp with pretty good value for money. But you must remember the cost regardless as even though I'm saying it's great for the money (which it is) the fact still remains it does cost what it costs and there will be better out there (though perhaps double the price lol).

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
#11 Quality costs :)

That it does! 

But I can tell you that I've got the Fiio E7 and DT 990 Pro right now (Fiio E9 arrives tomorrow actually :wink:) and it's a really great mix for me. I had the Asus Essence ST sound card when I had a PC, which in itself is a superior DAC to the Fiio E7 - but with the DT 990 Pro the combination was just way too much 'bite', whereas the Fiio E7 does the opposite as it's a transparent unit and so it cleans up the DT 990 Pro quite a bit while keeping it's characteristics apparent but not on overload. Remember when I said about synergy being important ? Classic example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back