M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Oct 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,246 of 1,653
  I have seen that RPG uses the Digizoid amp, and I was wondering, how did you find it at use with your desktop? Do you just connect it into the soundcard from your computer, use it's charge up and then recharge it? Does that become annoying at all? Having to recharge it all the time? 
That is just an issue I thought that may occur, so I was maybe thinking along the lines of a DAC?

I've got a USB power adapter to connect it directly to the wall socket to avoid the usual USB electrical noise when charging from the comp. It stays plugged in most of the time, every once in a while I disconnect charger to let the battery drain. Has worked fine for a long time now already. Should be noted I only like ZO v2.1 with the Q40 though, I also have v2.3 but to me v2.3 will make the Q40's mids seem a bit more laid-back (therefore to me unengaging) versus v2.1 more organic full bodied mids. (With v2.3 it's a slight V-shape sound while with ZO 2.1 it's more like bass boosted + balanced mids/highs (^-- shape response) which I prefer, to my ears the v2.1 combo sounds just more high fidelity, maybe it has to do with the higher gain, dunno).

I'm sure there are a lot of other alternatives but for me this combo is just perfect, no other amp has added a high quality subwoofer-like bass without destroying the rest of the range.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,247 of 1,653
Omnon - I was turned on to the Arrow 3G amp by DemonFox as the bass portable amp solution to beat them all.   He was right.  Compared to a C421, an E-11, a Digizoid ZO, a BK, it goes deeper and harder than all of them and that's on level 1 (of two) bass settings.  Love the little thing with my iPod classic driving my Q40 or M-100.  I was put off by the $199 price but went for it and do not regret it at all. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,248 of 1,653
@RPG
Sounds awesome man! I don't think I would be able to find any Digizoid V2s around anywhere with the V3s being everywhere. Also can you use the Digizoid while charging? Is there any other amps that have this capability? Oh just wondering, do you use this straight out of your computers sound card? Or do you have an amp DAC combo going on?

@Oregonian
It does sound wonderful, yet as of now I don't quite think I can afford something as much as this. This will be my first amp and or dac purchase so whatever i get is definitely going to be better than out of my phone or computer.

Having a look on that website though would you suggest any out of those? What about that FiiO E10? I'm not sure what else to look at! I am looking for that bass boosting capability so it does seem the Digizoid may be the way to go, but on that online store it's both out of stock and at $99!haha,I'm too much of a cheap bugger!

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #1,249 of 1,653
I used some thin cardboard shims to fit under the adjustable headband...that seemed to do the trick now they stay in place...I also taped a audio extension cable to the side of the left ear so now I can plug in my boom mic from my cheap gaming headset. Still haven't received the DT770 pads. Quite excited about those.

Now I'm planning on getting a Fiio E07K tomorrow. I hate the channel imbalance and knob static on the FiiO E10 analog volume knob. I much prefer a digital volume control.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,250 of 1,653
Anyways...loving these headphones...the one word I could use to describe their sound is "powerful" I described the D2000's as "musical" and the M100's as "detailed"...The Pro 900....hmmm "unbalanced"

lol

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,251 of 1,653
@RPG
Sounds awesome man! I don't think I would be able to find any Digizoid V2s around anywhere with the V3s being everywhere. Also can you use the Digizoid while charging? Is there any other amps that have this capability? Oh just wondering, do you use this straight out of your computers sound card? Or do you have an amp DAC combo going on?

Straight to the computer's sound card, this amp works fine if double amped / plugged straight to a headphone jack, another thing which I love about it, as it seems to be fully analog design. However I personally don't think the latest revision of ZO amp is a good match for Q40 but that's me. A good cheap alternatives which focus more on the amping part is especially BH C&C (which do have a 1 bass boost setting which isn't overly large but Q40 doesn't really need any unless you're like me a real basshead) but FiiO E11 has 2 step bass boost if that's desired.

The best bang-for-buck around $100 I'd give BH C&C due to having all kinds of features, 2 different outputs with slightly different sound, 1 low filter switch and one "soundstage" enhancing mode and it runs for like 80 hrs on one charge(!) but I personally enjoy the sound of the older revision ZO v2.1 a lot whit those headphones it got great synergy with and won't be hissing with either as that revision especially had fairly high amount hiss why it got discontinued.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,252 of 1,653

Straight to the computer's sound card, this amp works fine if double amped / plugged straight to a headphone jack, another thing which I love about it, as it seems to be fully analog design. However I personally don't think the latest revision of ZO amp is a good match for Q40 but that's me. A good cheap alternatives which focus more on the amping part is especially BH C&C (which do have a 1 bass boost setting which isn't overly large but Q40 doesn't really need any unless you're like me a real basshead) but FiiO E11 has 2 step bass boost if that's desired.

The best bang-for-buck around $100 I'd give BH C&C due to having all kinds of features, 2 different outputs with slightly different sound, 1 low filter switch and one "soundstage" enhancing mode and it runs for like 80 hrs on one charge(!) but I personally enjoy the sound of the older revision ZO v2.1 a lot whit those headphones it got great synergy with and won't be hissing with either as that revision especially had fairly high amount hiss why it got discontinued.

Well I'm actually still quite interested in the Digizoid despite what you have said. Yeah it may not be the best suit, or even better at all than the first few versions, but basically. I ain't no sound professional, I'm just a guy who loves to listen to music, whether it be through speakers, headphones or IEMs. I am certainly not someone to notice certain aspects at a such a high detail that I will forever be ruined. If I enjoy it, it gives off a great, nice sound, then I'm happy!

I think I've seen one for around $60 but I'm on the fence about getting it as of yet. I haven't even got the headphones yet! But then again, it would be a nice addtion, to see what impacts this amp will have over the few IEM's and Headphones I own. (And many more to come....)

I can see it as something that, even if it doesn't work to my liking with say the Q40's (unlikely), there are always many more headphones out there that may just be right! I don't think I will ever get sick of bass anytime soon, so why not get a bassy amp??? Haha, there is justification for everything, especially in this hobby!

But RPG, can I ask you, without amping with your ZO2 how much does the bass quantity decrease by? I'm assuming that as of now, it equals or betters the XB500, with amping, in both Quality and Quantity?

Cheers,

Edit: Oooh, also it was clarified to me somewhere, that the Digizoid can be used whilst charging, so in a sense almost acts as a DAC, when in use from a computer? Which I don't mind at all, and think of it as a bonus! Saves having to use, and then recharge, repeat.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,253 of 1,653
I don't know how many headphones you've tried but without amp the Q40 is significantly less bassy than a stock XB500, it sits right there in-between monster bassy like XB500 and neutral cans in terms of quantity. With ZO you can easily surpass a stock XB500 in bass quantity while also sounding a lot better.

However the ZO v2.3 which is being sold atm has both less output volume and slightly "softer" bass impact than v2.1 that I am using. Personally I love hard & punchy bass, the ZO2.1 adds a nice even stronger punch to the bass while the ZO2.3 do too but less significantly or less "solid" "taut" bass, it's a bit softer in comparison. ZO2.3 has both a high and low gain, it should be used in high gain with a soundcard, you can't control volume though on ZO in high gain (only low), v2.1 has just a high gain but you can also control the volume though on ZO.

Yes you can use it while charging, I do that all the time. But if you charge it via USB then like with all amps when charging via that, it will cause electrical noise so to fix that I simply bought an USB power adapter so it converts the USB plug into a wall socket fitting plug and then it will be dead silent while charging.

The latest word though is that digiZoid soon will launch a new version ZO3 which has cool stuff like a display and it doesn't have any high or low gain but the volume level is very finely adjustable to suit IEMs as well as more demanding headphones. It's also said to have a lot better amping and no hiss and also treble adjustment! However this one won't be out until xmas and price will probably also be a bit higher (my guess $150 or higher).

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,254 of 1,653
Hmmmm, so if I were to try and get the older version of the Digizoid, where would I look?

This new Digizoid sounds even more interesting! But not sure if I will bother to be honest. Hit me up with a link to the discussion of this though?

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #1,255 of 1,653
Hmmmm, so if I were to try and get the older version of the Digizoid, where would I look?

This new Digizoid sounds even more interesting! But not sure if I will bother to be honest. Hit me up with a link to the discussion of this though?

Not sure if there's any place still selling them, there used to be some on ebay a while ago though. I have actually 2 of those as I was betatesting so got one spare but I like this particular version's sound so much I want to keep it for backup, especially if the new ZO3 wouldn't work out equally well.

Check http://www.head-fi.org/t/589201/digizoid-zo2-3-impression-discussion-thread/930#post_9882149 for ZO info, digiZoid rep had been silent for a long time but now the last few days suddenly threw an update about the upcoming ZO.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #1,256 of 1,653
Damn, reading only that little post made me vaguely intrigued, somewhat making me consider waiting and seeing! 

I thought as well, that if I wait, they may stock it on that website, so I could be putting that credit to good use!

Cheers for the heads up RPG, looks like ill be going ampless for a bit then!

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,258 of 1,653
Got a pic? Can't quite get what you're missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back