M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jan 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #841 of 1,653
Quote:
I’ve already built myself a shorter cable and have a pair of Beyerdynamic pleather pads coming my way. I love Beyer’s pads and the Q40's, though comfortable, are a bit thin and the pleather on them is pretty thin as well and I don’t think will stand the test of time. Of course that is purely conjecture on my part but, again, I’m a big fan of Beyer’s earpads so I probably would’ve replaced them regardless.

I plan on doing an A/B comparison with my Denon D1000s. I wish I still had my RP-21s since that would’ve been a real apples to apples comparison in regards to both being designed as studio monitors and both have similar price points. I’ll also directly compare them to my DT990/600s since the 990s are fairly well known on Head-Fi and will give others some point of reference.

I’m not saying the Q40s are giant killers but for the $130-$140 price point, they are very very good in my book.

How did you build your own cable when the jack in the headphones is threaded? All the plugs I can find are too big to fit inside the threads, and there don't seem to be any threaded plugs available.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #842 of 1,653
Quote:
Quote:
How did you build your own cable when the jack in the headphones is threaded? All the plugs I can find are too big to fit inside the threads, and there don't seem to be any threaded plugs available.

You just have to find a cable which DOES have slim enough jack. There exists options but it's not easy to find. V-Moda audio only cable is one but it's kevlar which doesn't appeal to every1 as it frays and rubs unsmoothly against clothes. Monster has a few cables which are slim like that (maybe not so appealing brand). Also some have rubber jacks which you could cut down. Personally I use the Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones bundled slimmer cable which fits perfectly and has a suitable length for my needs and improved the sound slightly even (less smeared, better clarity). The stock cable has one of the worst sound quality I've heard as far as cables goes (seems to be quite high impedance for a cable). It's not a big difference by any means but if you even NOTICE the difference against another cheap cable then it's bad IMO. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #844 of 1,653
I still get jawache with my Q40s even though I've stretched the headband and got the DT770 velour pads on :frowning2: Shame as I really like the sound of the headphones. It only makes my jaw ache on the left side though but it does it after wearing them for like only 20 minutes, really annoying.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #846 of 1,653
Quote:

You just have to find a cable which DOES have slim enough jack. There exists options but it's not easy to find. V-Moda audio only cable is one but it's kevlar which doesn't appeal to every1 as it frays and rubs unsmoothly against clothes. Monster has a few cables which are slim like that (maybe not so appealing brand). Also some have rubber jacks which you could cut down. Personally I use the Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones bundled slimmer cable which fits perfectly and has a suitable length for my needs and improved the sound slightly even (less smeared, better clarity). The stock cable has one of the worst sound quality I've heard as far as cables goes (seems to be quite high impedance for a cable). It's not a big difference by any means but if you even NOTICE the difference against another cheap cable then it's bad IMO. 

Yeah I got a v-moda cable for it. But the OP said he build a cable himself, and I don't know of any diy parts that fit.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #847 of 1,653
Okay so I have a problem. My q40s are great and they function well but every time I use an aftermarket cable (tried both monster cable and v-moda cable), I get a really weak, wierd and distorted sound. However when I push the cable towards the headphones the sound is fine. Does anybody else get this? The stock cable works fine though...

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #848 of 1,653
Sounds like the contacts in the jack don't line up properly. My v-moda cable works fine.
Quote:
Okay so I have a problem. My q40s are great and they function well but every time I use an aftermarket cable (tried both monster cable and v-moda cable), I get a really weak, wierd and distorted sound. However when I push the cable towards the headphones the sound is fine. Does anybody else get this? The stock cable works fine though...

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #850 of 1,653
Quote:
Ive tried multiple cables though. Do you mean on the jack of the Q40s themselves? Ill contact M-Audio if that might be the case.

Most likely the jack on the headphone has loose connectivity. All the cables I've tried with it works fine. (V-Moda, Monoprice 8323 DJ and Fiio amp bundled cable). 

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #852 of 1,653
I remember others on here having the same problem, where even the stock cable wouldn't work if it wasn't screwed in tightly enough. Definitely a problem with the jack in the headphones themselves.

And the v-moda cable sounds really good with these. I've always been skeptical about audible differences in cables but the bass is tighter and punchier, and the highs are crisper and more airy. The midrange didn't seem to change much, maybe a touch less warm but not really noticeable. Once in a while I get a slight static "click" in one channel, but it doesn't happen enough to bother me.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #853 of 1,653
Had a pair of DT770 80's on order for best part of a month, Finally canceled the order and ordered a set of Q40's after hearing Mal's praise of them in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/647718/bass-basshead-headphones-with-detail-ear-massage-midbass-subbass#post_9090472

Really looking forward to them and for £59 too
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back