M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jul 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #271 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have scratches on the headband also, three of them. All three are very minor, not very deep or long. I assumed it was just fluke factory damage, but maybe you're on to something. You got it from the Ebay seller who lists them for $89 plus $9.99 shipping, right? I can't remember his name. The rest of the headphone has no visual wear at all. They fit very tight (have loosened up since being on my head often, so I doubt they were a display/used pair) and had that "new" smell. I can't compare the scratches on my band to yours b/c the pic you attempted to upload is just terrible. Too large and too blurry. I would say, though, that if he offers a decent partial refund, take that.

Yep, that's the same seller...he gave me a partial refund though. He was pretty cool about the whole thing.

The pressure on these things is going down but they do clamp really tight. Will some better earpads provide more comfort? These headphones sound so good though I'll deal with the discomfort until i get used to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #272 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by wutdog_cutdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, that's the same seller...he gave me a partial refund though. He was pretty cool about the whole thing.

The pressure on these things is going down but they do clamp really tight. Will some better earpads provide more comfort? These headphones sound so good though I'll deal with the discomfort until i get used to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyerdynamic earpads fit and are definitely more comfy. You can also bend the headband as stated before. There are two metal bands that run through the headband.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #274 of 1,653
How do you remove the pads? Im afraid to even try unless i see how theyre put on. Also, how much are the silver Beyer velor pads?
I love these phones to death, and theyre comfy for about an hour, but the ridges of my ears hurt a bit after awhile, and if that would help, it would be great.
I hope it doesnt ruin the sound though.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #275 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you remove the pads? Im afraid to even try unless i see how theyre put on. Also, how much are the silver Beyer velor pads?
I love these phones to death, and theyre comfy for about an hour, but the ridges of my ears hurt a bit after awhile, and if that would help, it would be great.
I hope it doesnt ruin the sound though.

There's a thin lip of pleather that fits in a groove around the circumference of the earpad. Just pull the earpad at one point and you will see that lip come out. Then you just keep working it out going around the outside of the earpad. Hmmm... not the clearest description but one of those things that is sooooo much easier to show than to describe.

There is a slight loss of bass presence with the velours. You could go with Beyer's pleather pads. The pad portion isn't as wide as the OEM Q40's and they are slightly thicker. In other words, the driver will sit slightly farther away from your ears and the inside circumference is larger than stock so you have more room for your ears.

The pleather pads are $30 and can be bought at Beyer's Manufaktur site here. Not sure about the velour pads. You can contact them. I've purchased drivers from them before (they are located on Long Island) and are easy to work with.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #276 of 1,653
On LongIsland??? :O Ko0lz!!!

Yeah, i want to try some other pads on it. Theyre great phones for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thx

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #277 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On LongIsland??? :O Ko0lz!!!

Yeah, i want to try some other pads on it. Theyre great phones for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thx

Yup. I believe it is Farmingdale. I remember noting it because I use to live in Farmingdale once upon a different life.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #278 of 1,653
Hi everyone,

Considering buying Q40s to use on my bus ride to and from work. How is isolation of those and is the sound leakage minimal?

So far, they are on top of my list. Thanks!
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #280 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

Considering buying Q40s to use on my bus ride to and from work. How is isolation of those and is the sound leakage minimal?

jecklinsmile.gif

Well, I certainly can't hear anything other than the music when mine are on.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't comment on sound leakage, though. Not much of a problem or concern for me.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #281 of 1,653
Quote:

Hi everyone,

jecklinsmile.gif

I listen from my computer which is right next to my bed. If my gf is trying to fall asleep, I have to keep the volume low or else she'll btich at me. Once she's asleep I can turn it up and it does not wake her. The room is silent this late at night, keep in mind. If you use them on a noisy bus, I seriously doubt anyone is gonna notice your sound and be the least bit concerned. As far as isolation, they are ok. They are closed cans and do isolate, but you can find better if isolation is super important. I've heard the K 81 DJ isolates best for closed, but it's sound quality won't compare to Q40.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #282 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as isolation, they are ok. They are closed cans and do isolate, but you can find better if isolation is super important. I've heard the K 81 DJ isolates best for closed, but it's sound quality won't compare to Q40.

I have a pair of recabled K81DJ at the moment and they do isolate well. For me, their sound is very disappointing, the reason why I am looking for new phones. Those SR-80s must have made me a bit more critical I guess...

I am now down between the Denon 1001 and Q40. Those Q40 are very tempting to say the least...
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #283 of 1,653
I, for one, don't find the Q40s especially isolating for closed monitor-type 'phones. They didn't cut it on my bus/train rides, but then again I've been spoiled by IEMs like the SA6 -- After isolation like that, it's hard to travel with less. Even so, my Q40s isolate noticeably less than my other main closed studio/DJ cans (the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and JVC HP-M1000 are the ones that immediately come to mind).

Icewyng, is isolation a factor for you as well? If so, you should be aware that the D1001s are quite poor in that regard. Very limited isolation (certainly less so than the Q40), though no outside leakage to speak of...and unbeatable comfort.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #284 of 1,653
Quote:

I have a pair of recabled K81DJ at the moment and they do isolate well. For me, their sound is very disappointing, the reason why I am looking for new phones. Those SR-80s must have made me a bit more critical I guess...

I am now down between the Denon 1001 and Q40. Those Q40 are very tempting to say the least...
ksc75smile.gif

Unfortunately, both of the headphones you are considering don't isolate all that well. I might give a slight edge to the Denons (a very nice little headphone, btw) since the space is more... uh... intimate. If you are into DIY at all, you might be able to boost the isolation with the Q40s if you pop off the black grills and stuff sound deadening material inside (there is a plastic barrier so nothing will reach the drivers). Hmm... as I type this I just may give this a try myself. I didn't think of it till now but that's mostly because isolation isn't a factor for me. But it would be fun to experiment!
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #285 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, both of the headphones you are considering don't isolate all that well. I might give a slight edge to the Denons (a very nice little headphone, btw) since the space is more... uh... intimate. If you are into DIY at all, you might be able to boost the isolation with the Q40s if you pop off the black grills and stuff sound deadening material inside (there is a plastic barrier so nothing will reach the drivers). Hmm... as I type this I just may give this a try myself. I didn't think of it till now but that's mostly because isolation isn't a factor for me. But it would be fun to experiment!
smile.gif

By the time you finish tinkering with those, they wont be Q40's anymore!!!!
confused_face.gif

***Waits to see what kind of FrankenPhone this one will turn out to be!***

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back