M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jun 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #196 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm thinking about replacing the pads on my Q40s with something a bit more comfy. I saw that Headroom sells the Beyer DT770 pads, and I think I might get those. If I buy these will I have to do anything to my Q40s that will void the warranty, or is it as simple as taking the stock pads off and putting on the new ones?

It is a simple swap - totally reversible if need be. Keep in mind though, there is a separate disc of foam that comes with the Beyer pads. It isn't attached like the thin screen on the stock pads is. What I did was cut out circles of grill cloth and used a bead of silicone to keep it in place. I found the foam to be a bit too thick and I don't think it reached the edge since there is a circular "wall" of foam around the driver.

Applying the grill cloth as I described is totally reversible as well and won't leave a mark. Whatever methodology you choose, you should put something over the driver to avoid hair and or dust reaching it.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #197 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In his review of 6 closed headphones, Skylab ranked the RP21s first in the bass department. HD25-1s ranked 4th in comfort.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

I'd say if he were to review the Q40s they would rank highly, and would rank #1 bass wise.

$95 bucks shipped @ ebay.

Is that the same seller you bought from? I notice he only has 14 feedbacks. I'm pretty concerned about Ebay right now after reading the thread about fake Audio-Technica ES7's floating around. Made me wonder if my Grado-SR60's were fake, since they are supposed to be legendary but sound like total crap, IMO. Then I remembered I actually got them off Amazon. I think I just like a lot FULL and WARM sound, lots of bass. These Q40's are near the top of my list now. Have you heard the Bose around-ear headphones, and can you (or anyone) compare?

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #199 of 1,653
Bloated, muddy, crappy bass is more like it. Ill admit they do sound 'warm' overall but they lack any real clarity and are way overpriced. Not even in the same league as headphones mentioned in this thread. THey're a good buy for $50, not a penny more.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #200 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the same seller you bought from? I notice he only has 14 feedbacks. I'm pretty concerned about Ebay right now after reading the thread about fake Audio-Technica ES7's floating around. Made me wonder if my Grado-SR60's were fake, since they are supposed to be legendary but sound like total crap, IMO. Then I remembered I actually got them off Amazon. I think I just like a lot FULL and WARM sound, lots of bass. These Q40's are near the top of my list now. Have you heard the Bose around-ear headphones, and can you (or anyone) compare?

The Q40s fit your sound description quite well. And by the way, comparing things to Bose doesn't work very well. Bose gets beat by almost every headphone that's half of its price.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #201 of 1,653
Quote:

The Q40s fit your sound description quite well. And by the way, comparing things to Bose doesn't work very well. Bose gets beat by almost every headphone that's half of its price.

Does it make sense to you that I'd like Bose better than Grado SR-60 given my sound preferences? I was literally shocked by the ****tiness of the Grado's given their legendary reputation. I'm sure it has to do with my preferences.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #202 of 1,653
Quote:

Does it make sense to you that I'd like Bose better than Grado SR-60 given my sound preferences? I was literally shocked by the ****tiness of the Grado's given their legendary reputation. I'm sure it has to do with my preferences.

Bose has tons of bass. Yes, it's muddy and disgusting, but it's there. The Grado sr 60s are definitely not bass prominent, but they do sound great. I would try this mod on your sr 60s, and see how you like them then. Grados have a very unique sound, and not everybody likes that. If you've been using Bose for awhile it might take time to adjust to the Grados, but in the end they may just not be right for you. The Q40s have really nice, tight bass, much better than the bass which Bose delivers. They really are great headphones, and they might fit your preferred sound better than Grados.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #203 of 1,653
Grados have a distinctive sound and often invokes a love/hate reaction. So they may not be your cup of tea - fine. But there are warm sounding headphones with nice defined bass that are much better than Bose's offerings and for a lot less dosh. You buy Bose and you are primarily paying for their marketing budget.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #204 of 1,653
Quote:

Bose has tons of bass. Yes, it's muddy and disgusting, but it's there. The Grado sr 60s are definitely not bass prominent, but they do sound great. I would try this mod on your sr 60s, and see how you like them then. Grados have a very unique sound, and not everybody likes that. If you've been using Bose for awhile it might take time to adjust to the Grados, but in the end they may just not be right for you. The Q40s have really nice, tight bass, much better than the bass which Bose delivers. They really are great headphones, and they might fit your preferred sound better than Grados.

Thanks for trying to help with that mod link, but F that. I'm not gonna put TAPE on my headphones to get them to sound decent. They oughtta sound proper to begin with. Also the SR60's have great resale value since they have such a good rep. I should be able to get 50 bucks for them plus 10 shipping on Ebay - so I'll only lose 10 bucks or so. I'll list them soon. Anybody need a pair? LOL

I'm 99% sold on the Q4's, guys.
cool.gif
I'll probably order them in a day or two. I'm expecting a BIG bass presence and a FULL sound that makes me say "wow" right out of the box. If anyone has any last minute corrections, please make them now, or I'll be back to btich at all of you if I'm disappointed. Hehehe.
tongue.gif

(Note: I'm assuming everyone realizes misspelled profanity is intentional as this site apparently views censorship as a great and wonderful modern novelty.)

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #205 of 1,653
This is the eBay seller I got my Q40s from. They also ship via 2 day air, so you'll get them very quickly.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #206 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the eBay seller I got my Q40s from. They also ship via 2 day air, so you'll get them very quickly.

You sure are anxious to see these things take over the universe, providing links to make it easy for us to buy 'em and all. Well it worked, I just ordered them. If I'm not blown away I'm sending you a bill.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #207 of 1,653
^^

haha. Haunting, you'll be the next in line to promote the great Q40s with provided links for future owners
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #208 of 1,653
Quote:

You sure are anxious to see these things take over the universe, providing links to make it easy for us to buy 'em and all. Well it worked, I just ordered them. If I'm not blown away I'm sending you a bill.
biggrin.gif

A couple of quick things: Try to make sure that the you use good sources with your Q40s. I'd personally say that they make low bit rate mp3s sound pretty bad. If you use them with high bit rate mp3s or lossless formats they will really shine. They will also benefit from an amp, so you may want to look in to one. I would recommend a good amount of burn in after you receive them; use a pink noise generator over night and have the volume a little louder than normal. After doing that for a couple of nights you should be pretty much set. Enjoy them
beyerdynamic880.png

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #210 of 1,653
I was just wondering if anyone could do a comparison of this and the audio technica ATH ES7. My pair broke and the Q40's seem to be on the top of the list for me. I just want to know about the general differences in sound quality between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back