M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jun 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #166 of 1,653
imp0ssibled, do these still feel clamping on the head?

I read a suggestion to take tight fitting headphones and leave them on a ball of some sort to try and stretch out a bit.

still thinking of ordering these. as long as they sound as good as the beyers without the scooped midrange.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #167 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm i see, thank you very much for the picture. hmm it seems like an OK size (i use px100's), i wonder if i'll be comfortable wearing them around outside in public. any suggestions? i personally think some people might turn their heads and look for a sec, but i dont think anyones gonna be like "WOW! those headphones are HUGE!" are they? any of u guys ever had the same feeling or concern?

Personally, I think the Q40s are a very cool looking headphone regardless of size. Who cares what others think? Go ahead and wear them out in public and announce to the world you care about listening to music through quality headphones! Stock earbuds be damned!
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #168 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oic, but i dun think i wanna remove the beyer foams since they seemed rather 'fixed' to the beyer cups, not sure how to put them back if i want to in the future too, perhaps juz leave my q40 as they are now for the moment

Another option is to take some speaker cloth cut to the same circumference of the sound chamber and silicon the edge down. This is what I ended up doing since both of my Q40s are wearing Beyer pads.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #169 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imp0ssibled, do these still feel clamping on the head?

I read a suggestion to take tight fitting headphones and leave them on a ball of some sort to try and stretch out a bit.

still thinking of ordering these. as long as they sound as good as the beyers without the scooped midrange.

oh i dun have any balls lying around lol, but i'm using the longer side of the q40 box to stretch it, but its kinda clamping esp after 1-2hrs of wearing, can feel the clamping on the side of my jaws, esp more so with the beyer pads due it being thicker than the q40's stock pads, but at least i feel it is still more comfy than the q40 stock pads which press against my ears

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option is to take some speaker cloth cut to the same circumference of the sound chamber and silicon the edge down. This is what I ended up doing since both of my Q40s are wearing Beyer pads.

hmm dun have that too, anyway still leaving it exposed for now~

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #170 of 1,653
I'm surprised there's not too many people trying these phones out. I guess people tend to go with the tried and proven ones. But these are really nice.

I was browsing s1rrah's post on the SE530's and downloaded his test clips. Tool's Prison Sex song just made my jaw drop while listening with the Q40s.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I've never listened to any Tool songs before as I don't listen to that genre of music.

Jun 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #171 of 1,653
Though I've probably PM'ed scott with this question before... I can't seem to find it. And since others have now been trying the q40 also, which headphone offers better isolation, RP21 or Q40?

Any issues with getting warm around the ears?

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #172 of 1,653
LostOne, the RP21s and Q40s are very similar isolation wise. And the Q40s are better since they don't get as warm around the ears. I could wear the RP21s for a couple of hours before I would get irritated, Q40s at least fours before I noticed any fatigue/warmth.

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #173 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LostOne, the RP21s and Q40s are very similar isolation wise. And the Q40s are better since they don't get as warm around the ears. I could wear the RP21s for a couple of hours before I would get irritated, Q40s at least fours before I noticed any fatigue/warmth.

Thanks richierich. That's exactly what I wanted info on. :D. Will probably try to sell the 21s, buy the q40s round late july/early august then.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #175 of 1,653
Jun 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #179 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcerny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a V6 fan for ages but it's certainly not a perfect can when it comes to fit or sound quality. How does the Q40 compare against the V6?

Thats a good question, I was wondering the same thing as well. Im trying to get an overall feel for how the Q40 compares to other cans in comfort and somewhat sound quality, besides the RP21, since I have not heard or felt the RP21 before.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #180 of 1,653
Is the Sony MDR-V6 the same as the MDR-7506? My brother who produces music has the MDR-7506s and says my Q40s are actually very good if not better.

Just for comparisons I'm wearing the 7506s and they are very, very light and are more comfortable than the Q40s. But soundwise they don't come close. If you somewhat enjoy bass the Sony's lack on the lowend. I can hear mids great but I really enjoy my Q40s more. IMO the Q40s are better by a bunch. The Sony's are one of the best Studio Monitor phones for producing. The M-Audio cans are up there as well IMO. But they are more enjoyable for listening to music just because I feel connected more to music when wearing these over the Sonys. It might be because they sound fuller all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back