Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #91 of 762
Quote:
If anyone has experience, can you use the Hilo as a switching mechanism for it's analog inputs without going through the ADC? My thought is to hook up other DACs to it and compare.

Should be able to. On the "inputs" side of the Output Mix Routing Page, you should be able to toggle back and forth between Line In and USB 1&2.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #92 of 762
(Adapter) cable specifications and sources
Quote:
Hey all,

Would it be possible to have the Hilo go directly into my main amplifer, which only has rca inputs? 

I not only want to use it as a headphone amplifer, but also as the main dac in my audio system.

See Lynx Hilo User Manual section "5.3 XLR Connector Wiring and Adapters" page 47-49. The part about "1/4" Phone Plug (Balanced) Tip Sleeve Ring" in "5.3.1 Balanced Connections" + the part about "RCA/Phono Plug (Unbalanced)" in "5.3.2 Unbalanced Connections with Twisted Pair Cable" or "5.3.3 Unbalanced Connections with Single Conductor Cable" tell you how a cable from "monitor out" (TRS) to RCA should be constructed. There's also instructions for "line out" (XLR), but those outputs doesn't have volume control.

You will find similar instructions in the Grace Design m903 Owner's Manual in "Output Connections" on page 7.

You can buy such cables ready made, at least from pro audio shops. Pro audio shops often have a workshop that can custom make cables if necessary, whether because of length, plug or conductor routing requirements. A local pro audio shop workshop made me a pair of crossed XLR cables (for use with STAX SRM-007t) while I was waiting and checked the cables with a cable tester. The price was definetely reasonable.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #93 of 762
Sooooooo... any other impressions anybody would like to share?? 
size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #95 of 762
Quote:
Sooooooo... any other impressions anybody would like to share?? 
size]

I received mine a couple weeks ago. Replaced a Metric Halo ULN-2 and an Audio Research DAC7. I had both the Hilo and the new Benchmark DAC2 to compare and kept the Lynx only because it had the ADC for vinyl ripping. I have a hard time determining differences between DACs when I compare via blind testing and volume matching. The Hilo sounds great and I'm happy with the purchase.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #97 of 762
Lot of pretty high praise thus far... Any drawbacks or concerns anybody would care to mention? I personally see the lack of a remote control app as being a drawback for someone with a two-channel setup... Is this giving anybody heartburn? 

Just trying to get a complete picture of these bad boys in case I end up making the plunge :wink:

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #98 of 762
Quote:
Any drawbacks or concerns anybody would care to mention?

The Hilo's headphone amp has more than enough oomph for HD 800s, but if you're an HE-6 guy (or gal) you should definitely audition it before putting down $.

I don't find the lack of a remote to be a drawback.

If you're putting it on a desktop or a desktop-height rack, you may want to stick a book (or a stand designed for desktop monitors) under the front end to tilt the touch-screen up and make it easier to access. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #99 of 762
Quote:
The Hilo's headphone amp has more than enough oomph for HD 800s, but if you're an HE-6 guy (or gal) you should definitely audition it before putting down $.

I don't find the lack of a remote to be a drawback.

If you're putting it on a desktop or a desktop-height rack, you may want to stick a book (or a stand designed for desktop monitors) under the front end to tilt the touch-screen up and make it easier to access. 

Good feedback. Have you tried the Hilo with an ortho, or are you going off specs? (I have a pair of LCD-2s that I dearly love and would like to have a particularly transparent SS headphone amplifier to accompany my tubed Lyr). 

As far as the remote: is that because you have the device fairly close to your listening station, because you rarely or never feel the need to interact with it, or something else? 

Sorry for all the questions, just excited! 
size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #100 of 762
Quote:

Good feedback. Have you tried the Hilo with an ortho, or are you going off specs? (I have a pair of LCD-2s that I dearly love and would like to have a particularly transparent SS headphone amplifier to accompany my tubed Lyr). 

As far as the remote: is that because you have the device fairly close to your listening station, because you rarely or never feel the need to interact with it, or something else? 

Sorry for all the questions, just excited! 
size]

I have not tried the Hilo with any orthos; however, I used to have LCD-3s, and I didn't think they were all that difficult to drive (could get dangerous volume with either a Luxman P-200 or a Bryston).  I'm not aware of a published headphone amp output power spec measured in mW for the Hilo (and I've looked).  All the manual says is that max output is +19 dBA.

I have it on my desk, so it's within easy arm's reach, ergo no need for a remote.  I think that if you were across the room, you could use the iOS Remote app to control your player software, including volume (although you wouldn't want to dial a digital volume control down too far, for fear of losing relevant bits).

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #102 of 762
Quote:
The spec for the Hilo says +19 dbu. 0dbu is 0.775V, or 1mW into 600 ohms. This works out to about 80mW @600 ohms (6.9Vrms).

Which would be equivalent to approximately 950mW into the 50 ohm nominal impedance of the LCD-2.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #103 of 762
Jan 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #104 of 762
I've read somewhere the opamp used for the output. Anyone know where that is.

I will be trying a gambit of HEs when we get our meet set up. The 4 and 400 sounded good out of it. I'll make sure to try the 500s. I have no thoughts that it will handle the 6s. I've got two speaker monoblocks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back