Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #121 of 762
Quote:

As I've written earlier in an other thread about suitable amplifiers for Denon AH-Dx000 and Fostex TH-x00, I've got a Violectric HPA V200 as well. See full and (normally) updated equipment list in my profile. So far it has seen little use. For quiet some time I've mostly used the Grace Design m903. I will revisit it, but I don't know when. At the moment I'm more curious about other items.

It isn't obvious to me and at least fellow Norwegian achri-d that Violectric HPA V200 is (any) better than the very good and versatile Grace Design m903, maybe the contrary, maybe a question of taste.

In addition to appearing on Head-Fi.org, achri-d contributes in the Norwegian forum Hifisentralen and writes for the Norwegian hi-fi magazine "Fidelity". He wrote about HiFiMAN HE-500 and HE-6 in issue 57, and Audeze LCD3 in issue 59 using several of his amplifiers and headphones for comparison. The magazines can be freely downloaded as PDFs 12-18 months after publishing. He owns some well regarded headphones and amplifiers (see listing in his profile). He has owned or had on loan the Violectric HPA V200 as well.

Great info! Thanks, I'll check it out!! And once you've had them for a bit, if you feel like comparing the m903 vs Hilo vs V200, I imagine you'll find a pretty receptive audience... 
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #122 of 762
Quote:
Living with other headphones has given me a chance to use the headphone amp on the Hilo. I feel very safe in saying that if you were going to build a computer rig of reference quality sound, you can start with the Hilo and not miss anything while you fill out the rest of your rig. The headphone out is as good as advertised and you can live with it until getting a tube amp.......at which time you will have two quality amps of different technology. I've played the RS-1, T-1, HE-4 with excellent results. An upcoming meet will offer the LCDs & HE-500 as well as the HD-800, D7000, the other HEs (5le&6), Sennheiser 600&650s, K/Q70x and others. I've been taking a few of these home to extended listening.

I predict another assault on your wallet after you hear the HD 800s with the Hilo.
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #123 of 762
I predict another assault on your wallet after you hear the HD 800s with the Hilo.:beerchug:
I procrastinate, study, go 180 in another direction before settling on a decision. I like my HE-6 and won't part with them. I have the RS-1 for portable use and just sold my K701s. Though I am curious on any brightness on the 800s with the hp out. So far, there is nothing out of sorts with the sound. Real sound with real pace and natural decay. The refinement of sound is impressive. To hear it magnified on the 800s will be a treat.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #124 of 762
It has been a journey with this DAC. From it's software to it's headphone amp to the main DAC, I've been forced to compromise and not get to my intended setup yet. But the HE-500s are sounding mighty fine with this headphone amp. To any considering this combo, the clarity and impact of the music is amazing. I've been playing the 500s on the monoblocks since I hooked them up last week. I said I would strap these on the headphone amp and comment on it's sound. Well I lose nothing in sound quality going to the headphone amp. The 500s are easier to drive than the HE-4 so this headphone match is very good. The speaker amps give a little more spacing between the instruments but the ortho sound is front and center. The centerstage is sharp and bass big and firm. No stalling or collapse on massive attack, plenty of current for these headphones. Much better than my SP amp.

There are two groups of instruments that I find hard listening to on digital sources, percussions & strings.The attack and harmonic texture of percussion instruments and the full expression of stringed instruments. The complexity of the piano or the delicacy of a mandolin, the attack of a snare drum or getting all the cymbals to sound like brass with a shimmer. This unit is doing it for me. The ortho is a bit of a "slow" technology which means rich and full bodied sound. The Hilo brings a clarity and import to the sound that wakes the lazy ladies up. I can see where the Hilo maybe be bright or analytical with that kind of headphone. I bet the 800s would be a real interesting listen on a ss amp. Got to do that. But for the LCD & HE, this is a very good fit. Will speak more of it as our meet nears.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #125 of 762
Awesome feedback, thanks HC!!! It's good to hear that the positive comments about the Hilo weren't just another case of HF new toy syndrome-- it sounds like the SQ here has some real staying power. Please continue to keep us updated as your journey continues!!!

I live vicariously through those of you fortunate enough to have one of these already, so please keep the great info a-comin!! 
size]

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #126 of 762
I just picked up a Hilo today.  I was with a friend at a local music shop and I saw a Hilo sitting there in the display case.  I couldn't resist and had to buy it.  I just powered it on and have not had a chance to try it out.  It should be a fun night!!!

I will be trying the Hilo with LCD2 v2 and Heir 8A headphones first off.  I will be doing some A/B comparisons with my Yulong A18/D18 setup.   Ultimately the Hilo will live in my 2 channels system.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #127 of 762
Congrats on your new purchase. This little thing is getting me back in the hobby of gear. A digital preamp, headphone amp and the AD/DA services. I can run a disc spinner, a turntable/reel, a feed from the sat box and my computer at the touch of a screen or click of a mouse, control the volumes and feed it to my main rig, headphone rig and monitor all inputs from the headphone amp on the Hilo.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #128 of 762
Happy Camper:

Did you notice any change in the sound of the Hilo over time? 

So far I am quite impressed with the Hilo.  Clean and pure definitely comes to mind.  Definitely different than the Yulong D18.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #129 of 762
Yes it gets more focused as things burn in. I'm amazed at it's clear and hard hitting sound. I'm keeping it. The 16th will have some direct comparisons with the M51, PWDII, possible Buffalo III and Master series by AG-d. I really like these DACs and am looking forward to comparing.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #130 of 762
Quote:
I just picked up a Hilo today.  I was with a friend at a local music shop and I saw a Hilo sitting there in the display case.  I couldn't resist and had to buy it.  I just powered it on and have not had a chance to try it out.  It should be a fun night!!!

I will be trying the Hilo with LCD2 v2 and Heir 8A headphones first off.  I will be doing some A/B comparisons with my Yulong A18/D18 setup.   Ultimately the Hilo will live in my 2 channels system.

I'll be interested in your thoughts with the LCD2/Hilo combo. I recently purchased the Hilo (as like you I couldn't resist - someone was selling it who was located only 5 minutes from work and I took that as a sign from the audio gods 
smile.gif
 ). Using the headphone output from the Hilo, I thought that the LCD2 Rev1 sound signature changed significantly. There was more treble and along with that substantially more detail. On Gearslutz they keep commenting on the superb transparency of the Hilo, perhaps that is what I'm hearing. Whereas in the past, bad recordings were still listenable, now it is 'garbage in - garbage out' Also, the bass was not as prominent but quite tight. My tube amp (Cary 300SEI) is back at Cary Audio for some upgrades and I will be curious to see how the LCD2 sounds through the Cary and using the Hilo as the dac.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #131 of 762
Quote:
I'll be interested in your thoughts with the LCD2/Hilo combo. I recently purchased the Hilo (as like you I couldn't resist - someone was selling it who was located only 5 minutes from work and I took that as a sign from the audio gods 
smile.gif
 ). Using the headphone output from the Hilo, I thought that the LCD2 Rev1 sound signature changed significantly. There was more treble and along with that substantially more detail. On Gearslutz they keep commenting on the superb transparency of the Hilo, perhaps that is what I'm hearing. Whereas in the past, bad recordings were still listenable, now it is 'garbage in - garbage out' Also, the bass was not as prominent but quite tight. My tube amp (Cary 300SEI) is back at Cary Audio for some upgrades and I will be curious to see how the LCD2 sounds through the Cary and using the Hilo as the dac.

The Hilo has been running now in my 2 channel setup for about 24 hrs.  In my 2 channel system I have a 100 Watt Class A solid state and a 50 Watt class A KT88 tube amp.  I switch between bi amping and running the amps solo.  Tonight I will see what the Hilo sounds like on the tube amp and speakers.  I will try and get some time on it with the LCD 2.2's tonight as well.  Otherwise I am off to work, out of town for 4 weeks, and I will be bringing the Hilo with me.  I work 4 weeks away/ 5 to 7 days off at home in cycles, 9 months of the year.  I will have tons of time to listen to the Hilo with headphones while I am at work (sounds strange I know).  These days at home are usually pretty busy for me with errands etc.

I will also have my Yulong D18/A18 out at work with me.  I will try the Hilo > LCD 2.2 direct and the Hilo > A18 > LCD 2.2.  I suppose I can also try the D18 > Hilo > LCD2.2 as well.  Lots of combos to compare.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #132 of 762
Hey Crucial, did you get the chance to hear the PWD and the Hilo to compare? I get the chance to hear them together on the 16th. I've liked the PWD II but I also like this black box.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #134 of 762
Quote:
I forgot.  Does the Hilo do DSD native?

Yes, Lynx Hilo got DSD Playback with the "Hilo Firmware 5 Update Nov 2012":

Quote:
New DSD Playback
This allows Hilo to play DSD audio files received via USB, AES-3 or S/PDIF. Hilo supports the recently adopted DoP V1.1 standard which is a method for transferring DSD audio over PCM frames. Playback of DSD using this method is provided by a growing number of software vendors including Channel D, JRiver and Audirvana.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #135 of 762
Quote:

Yes, Lynx Hilo got DSD Playback with the "Hilo Firmware 5 Update Nov 2012":

Quote:
New DSD Playback
This allows Hilo to play DSD audio files received via USB, AES-3 or S/PDIF. Hilo supports the recently adopted DoP V1.1 standard which is a method for transferring DSD audio over PCM frames. Playback ofDSD using this method is provided by a growing number of software vendors including Channel D, JRiver and Audirvana.

Does this mean native?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back