Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #136 of 762
Quote:
Hey Crucial, did you get the chance to hear the PWD and the Hilo to compare? I get the chance to hear them together on the 16th. I've liked the PWD II but I also like this black box.

Happy Camper, no I haven't compared them. The PWD2 is at home and the Hilo is at work. But I can take the Hilo home and compare. It's a great idea as I have been a fan of both versions of the PWD and the Hilo (at least from its headphone output) appears to be a different beast, perhaps more detail but less bass.  I would be interested in your thoughts between the two as well.  I also just received the Fostex TH-900 phones with which I can throw into the mix. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #137 of 762
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, Lynx Hilo got DSD Playback with the "Hilo Firmware 5 Update Nov 2012":

Quote:
New DSD Playback
This allows Hilo to play DSD audio files received via USB, AES-3 or S/PDIF. Hilo supports the recently adopted DoP V1.1 standard which is a method for transferring DSD audio over PCM frames. Playback ofDSD using this method is provided by a growing number of software vendors including Channel D, JRiver and Audirvana.

Does this mean native?

First, I'm not a DSD expert.

Yes, if I don't misunderstand the meaning of both "native" and what Lynx is writing. A quick search seems to indicate that there are some confusion about DoP and/vs. native DSD. Hence it's possible to find conflicting information. See MSB quote below.

"DoP open Standard Method for transferring DSD Audio over PCM Frames Version 1.1"

MSB Technology: "DSD Playback":

Quote:
There are some confusing terms being used. DoP is completely native and unprocessed DSD 'packed' into a PCM bit stream with 8 bits of 'ID Header' that must be stripped out before playback. A native DSD stream would have no header. That is essentially the only difference between the two. Once inside the MSB DAC, the ID Header is stripped away and a 'pure' DSD stream is again present. From there the DSD 1bit 2.8 MHz (DSD64x) and DSD 1bit 5.6 MHz (DSD128x) is mapped to our 1.4 MHz 24bit Ladder DAC with no analog filtering. It is as pure a playback as you can get as we do not suffer from all the Delta Sigma artifacts. The proof will be in the listening.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #140 of 762
Quote:
Quote:
What chip is the Hilo using anyway?

I've been trying to find out without much luck. They obviously don't care to share. I've seen it listed though as some have taken the cover off.

You could just ask Lynx via e-mail. They were responsive and forthcomming when I asked them some questions.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #141 of 762
You could just ask Lynx via e-mail. They were responsive and forthcomming when I asked them some questions.
Would you happen to know what chips they use?

I was curious what the line out did as it is the hi performance chip configuration and I had to borrow a set of cables to hear it. The smile has been diagnosed as permanent and being considered for disability by the VA. This is what I expected to hear and it certainly outperforms the headphone or monitor dac, good as they are. The sound has an easy dynamic about it. All the superlatives on PRaT, musical presentation, even the bottom end is outstanding on these orthos. I like a more refined bottom vs weight heavy and (to me) it has both. The bottom reminds me of the HD-800 performance. All there, balanced and proper to the soundscape. Not every bass should sound the same and that's what I like about the Hilo. Other DACs might give you a weightier bottom end but it gets tiring when every note sounds that way. Can you guys with the LCDs comment on how this DAC's bottom end performs? I'll find out next weekend but I'm thinking it would tighten up and improve bass resolution and bring the mids and highs a little more forward.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #142 of 762
Info is harder to track down than Lavry. ***.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #143 of 762
Quote:
Quote:

Would you happen to know what chips they use?

No. If I've read it, I forgot. If I knew, I would have given the information in the thread at that point.

I wrote to Lynx asking some other questions and got good answers. I hence assume they will do the same if somebody asks about something else like DAC chips. That's why I wrote what I wrote trying to help you help yourself (do you say that in English?).

Quote:
Info is harder to track down than Lavry. ***.

I don't know about Lavry, but my exeperience with Lynx is good. Ask and you get an answer. It may take a few days if their on a trip, like a trade fair.

On a different note:
At the moment I'm listening to PC with foobar2000 -> Lynx Hilo -> TRS out -> XLR in -> EAR Yoshino HP4 -> Hi Z Phones -> Sennheiser HD 800.

Right now it's "Take 6". Before that Willie Nelson "All The Songs I've Loved Before". The HP4 and it's tubes are passing 50 hours tonight. Yesterday I stayed up way to late. I should really go to bed rather soon.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #144 of 762
Mar 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #145 of 762
[size=10pt]The Hilo has been three days in my 2 channel set up.   It has proven to be the best match for my 2 channel gear that I have heard so far.  I couldn't be more pleased.  The clarity and detail is outstanding.  Bass is deep and hits hard but with layers and texture unlike any preceding DAC I have owned.  The Hilo manages to pull this off without becoming cold and clinical.  I appreciate detail but not at the cost of a fatiguing sound signature.  This has held me back from upgrading from my Yulong D18.  The Hilo does not disappoint and I have no regrets.[/size]

[size=10pt]I am now on a 3 to 4 weeks stretch at work.  I brought the Hilo out to the field with me to try out the headphone amp.  Over the next week I will try it out with my LCD 2's and heir 8.A's.  The Hilo along with the Yulong equipment I brought out will give me plenty of combinations to mix and match and compare.  I am curious to compare the Yulong A18 through the Hilo Line outs to the Hilo's internal amp.  [/size]

[size=10pt]I also downloaded a DSD album from Blue Coast Records so I will be experimenting with that format as well.[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #150 of 762
The XLR outs were the last part of the DAC I experienced and by far is the best. That's the dual DAC chip per channel output. Monster sound. I hooked up the monitored output to some active speakers and it sounded pretty damned good. Running the XLR outs this past week is another level better. It's a keeper and I don't need a shootout to determine this. For a $2k DAC, I'd be seriously hard pressed to find a better sounding DAC. But next weekend will give several of us a taste of some strong contenders in this price point. I'll leave this running all week to put some time on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back