Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #76 of 762
We will start seeing some more impressions soon as several have made purchases. From the pro audio forums, the Hilo is gathering a pretty good reputation but still needs some software capabilities. Hell, I don't know what to do with most of it as it is and they need more. These guys live capturing live sound so if they feel good about it, I pay attention.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #79 of 762
Quote:
[...]
After listening again as a DAC only, through my DNA Stratus, I think I can definitely say that the Hilo sounds a little more energetic and touch brighter than the m903, which sounds a little more laid back and a little warmer. I still think that both DACs are very close in terms of resolution, extension, and soundstage. [...]

ProLyd imports, distributes and/or sells Lynx Hilo, Grace Design m903 and the Benchmark DACx series including Benchmark DAC2 HGC in Norway. The three cost approximately the same with Lynx Hilo, at the moment, being a bit more expensive, but includes extra functionality including ADC, touch screen and programmability.

I asked them about how these products compare as DACs and headphone amplifiers. They saw them as three good products with the same quality level. The features are partially different, but when it comes to sound it's (generally/mostly) a question of preferences and taste which product people prefer.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #80 of 762
Two weeks ago, I became the owner of this interesting device, and try to share my experiences. Prior to buying Hilo I listened to music through portable recorder Sony PCM-D50. For portable it sounds very good (especially through the line-out) and can play Hi-res wav up to 24/96.
In my audio path I use Lynx Hilo as DAC connected via USB to Imac27, as well as a headphone amplifier for Sony MDR-CD3000.
And so: in my ear Lynx Hilo sounds very natural and does not color the sound, high detail, without blurring. Plays all the nuances of recording and still sound quite firm. High, mid and low frequency sound is very balanced, nothing sticks. In general, the device provides a transparent and very musical sound, in some reviews on the network it is called like analog :) PCM-D50 is connected to Hilo on optics also gave a very good quality comparable to playback on usb.
The plans have a desire to get to the Lynx Hilo pair of active monitors to go beyond just listening to the headphones, and try battery power, the ability to use it normally provided in the Lynx Hilo.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #81 of 762
I've now completed my audition of the Hilo as a DAC only and in my system, the m903 has more synergy, is more musical, and fits my needs better ergonomically (tactile buttons/remote vs. touchscreen). That's not to say the Hilo isn't a very good DAC, it certainly is and it's ADC functionality would be great if needed. I think most DACs in this price range will be similar quality levels, and it will come down to system synergy, and specific features. Ultimately, there is nothing like being able to audition at home with one's own system and thanks to the great guys at ProAudio LA for letting me demo the Hilo.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #83 of 762
Mine is on the truck but because it's not paid for a Sat. delivery, it sits. Oh the agony........

I take solace with two NFL conference championships and (finally) a Blues vs Red Wings game.

Picked all three winners.

It has finally arrived. Pics and comments once installed and running.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #84 of 762
Quote:
Mine is on the truck but because it's not paid for a Sat. delivery, it sits. Oh the agony........

I take solace with two NFL conference championships and (finally) a Blues vs Red Wings game.

Picked all three winners.

It has finally arrived. Pics and comments once installed and running.

Can't wait for your impressions, HC!!! Hope ya LOVE it!!! :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #85 of 762
Oh the irony. I get the DAC and my HE-6s go down. :mad:

I'll run it for a few weeks to break in and then schedule our mini meet. I've been listening to the hp out with the RS-1s and they aren't going to be sufficient to review this DAC. Sounds good and even throws a decent soundstage on a notoriously intimate headphone. I've just put in the Ety 4s and have to admit I've not heard them sound so good. Very crisp and dynamic with 24/96 material. I can see myself living with this using the 6s as they are a tad thick compared to say the 800s but very dynamic. The old CAL Sigma did a great job over the years but can't compare to the dynamics and uber-detail the new DACs provide. As such, I think this DAC will do well with the orthos, Senns and headphones that aren't bright. It might be a bit harsh on the 800s but will reserve judgment until preproman gets his new 800s in.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #86 of 762
If anyone has experience, can you use the Hilo as a switching mechanism for it's analog inputs without going through the ADC? My thought is to hook up other DACs to it and compare.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #87 of 762
Quote:
If anyone has experience, can you use the Hilo as a switching mechanism for it's analog inputs without going through the ADC? My thought is to hook up other DACs to it and compare.

I assume so, but havent' checked, nor tried it as an analog signal switch/router.

It can be used as a digital signal switch/router/converter.

You can control which inputs and outputs are open and (if I'm not wrong) the signal routing between them. An employee at ProLyd told me that some home users prefer to keep all inputs constantly open, because the handling of the Hilo then is easy for the rest of the family. They turn on/start playing with whatever they want, and the signal is seen by Lynx Hilo which "listens" to all inputs. In this mode they probably will get unwanted results if they use/play with/on more than one audio source at once, but such an error would (probably) be easily understood and solved by most users.

The USB input seems to some extent as a sidecar vs. the other digital inputs when you look at some of the display views. So far I haven't figured out why. I would have thought it should be shown in the same way and the same places as the others.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #88 of 762
Hey all,

Would it be possible to have the Hilo go directly into my main amplifer, which only has rca inputs? 

I not only want to use it as a headphone amplifer, but also as the main dac in my audio system.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #89 of 762
Hey all,

Would it be possible to have the Hilo go directly into my main amplifer, which only has rca inputs? 

I not only want to use it as a headphone amplifer, but also as the main dac in my audio system.
You will have to buy a 1/4" mono to 1/4" female rca x2 to use the monitor out. I linked them earlier here I think.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #90 of 762
Really looking forward to auditioning Happy Campers unit when he gets it.  I'm looking to hear how the analog volume control sounds compared to the digital volume control on the M51 and PWD2.
For the gearslut, this box is a blast. A digital source pre processor and an analog converter with a master headphone circuit to listen to any input or output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back