Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Feb 21, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #557 of 762
Just wanted to drop in and briefly say that I am extremely impressed with the Hilo thus far... As is (apparently) common with DACs, I was originally somewhat underwhelmed with the difference from my Meier Daccord, even though it was obviously more detailed and a touch less smooth-sounding. After having listened to it more extensively, I can say that the detail level is considerably higher than the Daccord, and that there is a fundamentally different quality to the smoothness that I actually like-- it seems more fluid and realistic, and not quite so overly (and artificially) smooth as the Daccord. I can definitely understand why the Meier DAC is so beloved by its owners-- it sounds great and has an ability to make nearly anything sound more enjoyable than it probably is. But the additional layers of detail along with the more convincingly real sound of the Hilo make it really stand out to me. 

I still haven't done an A/B comparison between the two, so my impressions are definitely of limited value. But the more I listen to the Hilo, the more I absolutely love it. I'm running from the Hilo into a Master 8 and out to the HE6 as I type this, and it's hard to imagine anything sounding much better than this... "Endgame" tends to be a mirage that allows people to spend more than they should today by deluding themselves into thinking they won't need to tomorrow, and perhaps I'm falling into the same trap. But this is at the very least approaching (and may be outright defining) endgame status for me. 

I'm one very happy Hilo owner :wink:.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #558 of 762
I agree. It's made me redefine my value system of listening to music. Natural presentation comes to mind. Not over etched and hard, not overpowering in bass, not over sweet sounding. Just real.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #559 of 762
I agree. It's made me redefine my value system of listening to music. Natural presentation comes to mind. Not over etched and hard, not overpowering in bass, not over sweet sounding. Just real.

Very much so. And I appear to be following in your footsteps somewhat, HC, albeit unintentionally-- I recently acquired an HE-6 that I'm just loving. And I'm considering picking up a dedicated speaker amp for it as well-- I've decided I'm going to read through the entire HE-6 thread (currently on page 230-something) and I'm following your thoughts about the 125w monoblocks along with everyone else's impressions... Who knows, I may end up aping you there as well :wink:

Right now, JRMC > Hilo > Master 8 > HE-6 is some of the best sound I've ever heard, speaker or headphone, and I'm just reveling in it. Bravo, Lynx!!!

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #560 of 762
I'm glad I saw this thread mentioned elsewhere on the site... As this is exactly what I've been looking for!  A company I know of from my time doing recording so I know that this will be some quality equipment.  And it'll give me the A/D section to digitize my vinyl for mobile or lazy playback.

Now I did see it mentioned earlier that we're able to get a discount from this adkproaudio place, but that was about a year ago it was mentioned.  Anyone know if we're still able to get it and if it's still the same contact person?

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #561 of 762
  I'm glad I saw this thread mentioned elsewhere on the site... As this is exactly what I've been looking for!  A company I know of from my time doing recording so I know that this will be some quality equipment.  And it'll give me the A/D section to digitize my vinyl for mobile or lazy playback.

Now I did see it mentioned earlier that we're able to get a discount from this adkproaudio place, but that was about a year ago it was mentioned.  Anyone know if we're still able to get it and if it's still the same contact person?

In short: yes, I believe it's still available. PM sent :wink:

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #562 of 762
Anyone taken the plunge and upgraded from USB to Thunderbolt?  If yes, please post impressions.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #563 of 762
Theogenes, thanks for PMing back and forth with me a bit.  But I figured I'd open a question to the larger ownership base that I have while waiting to order mine next week.

For those of you with a Vinyl setup, what is it and how do you feel it compares to the resolution and such of playing digital music through the Hilo?  I know I'm going to have to upgrade to keep up with it since my current setup is a Debut Carbon and Rolls preamp.  So I'm trying to figure out how much I'll need to shell out to do so.

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #564 of 762
My vinyl rig cost about USD 3,000.  It consists of a Rega P3-24, a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, and a Whest Two phonostage.  The output of the Whest goes to the line inputs of the Hilo.  I use it both for listening (bypassing the converters entirely) and ripping.  I use Pure Vinyl to rip at 192/24.  Everybody's ears are different, but for me 192/24 is close enough that I can put my vinyl away after it's been ripped.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #568 of 762
  Theogenes, thanks for PMing back and forth with me a bit.  But I figured I'd open a question to the larger ownership base that I have while waiting to order mine next week.

Anytime man :wink:

My vinyl rig cost about USD 3,000.  It consists of a Rega P3-24, a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, and a Whest Two phonostage.  The output of the Whest goes to the line inputs of the Hilo.  I use it both for listening (bypassing the converters entirely) and ripping.  I use Pure Vinyl to rip at 192/24.  Everybody's ears are different, but for me 192/24 is close enough that I can put my vinyl away after it's been ripped.

Interesting, I also have an upgraded P3-24 (although it's currently in storage-- *sigh*). If you have a moment, either here or in PM, I'd be interested in your impressions of the Whest Two, as I'm still pretty inexperienced on the analog side of things and I plan on doing more research before I finally get around to ripping my vinyl collection. TIA if you decide to share your thoughts!

/OT, apologies. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #569 of 762

I too am looking forward to the remote feature for the Hilo. I'm sure it will make configuring and making changes to the hardware significantly easier. I doubt it will be a Apple only implementation. If memory serves me right, their previous demo of the remote software was via an Android device.

Hmm I haven't tried it yet, but on the Lynx site there are two versions of the 1.63 driver installer, and one of them includes Aurora Remote Control. Can anyone confirm that this is it?

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like false alarm.

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #570 of 762
Lynx has published information about Hilo Version 6 Firmware Features:
  1. Remote Control via Mac or Windows computers, iPad
  2. Simplified Menu set added
  3. New Source Select option in Standard Menu
  4. Support for the LT-TB Thunderbolt LSlot card
  5. New Knob Settings for additional Volume control
  6. Support for LT-HD ProTools HD Interface
  7. Support for no LSlot Interface
  8. New Show/Hide Settings
  9. Other Features, Functions and Fixes
    1. Output Mix Routing Page: Source Channel Select function 'Sum' changed from -3.0dB to -6.0dB attenuation.
    2. Dither enabled when digital volumes are active.
    3. Mute ADAT In or USB Play sources if the inputs for those devices are not locked. This prevents any signal from those channels appearing as audio anywhere within Hilo.
    4. Added Support for LT-FW FireWire Interface.
    5. Removed LT-USB Mode (8 or 16 channel operation) from Tools Menu if LT-USB is not installed.

Choose Support -> Downloads in the menu and you'll find:
  1. Hilo Firmware Version 6 for Windows (3/26/2014)
  2. Hilo Remote V1 for Windows (3/27/2014)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back