Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #586 of 762
Regarding firmware v6 (6.1),  anyone noticed any change in sound?        
I am not certain at all, but I just feel that compare to v5, v6's sound has higher resolution in the very high frequency region, it becomes more 'focused'.

I only have one Hilo, no A/B testing.  This might be totally psychological.     Anyone have the same feeling? 

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #590 of 762
Quote:
  ^ For my ears Hilo sounds as good as before. I'm using SRM-727II + SR-009.

Are you playing via USB?      I am only testing playback via USB, using latest 2.20 usb driver. 

I did more testings between firmware 5 vs. 6/6.1,  and, I am more certain that they sound quite different via USB:   
Compare to v5,  v6/6.1  has higher resolution, cleaner, more focused.  The difference is mainly in the very high frequency area.  Almost sounds like a different (better) DAC.    Maybe update v6 reduced jitter from usb?  or made the power cleaner?
Going back to v5 I can feel the sound is blurry than v6, lost some glare.

Anyone have similar feeling?

Well, as a result this also makes some music tiring to listen to, well I will get used to it.   v5 is 'blurry', v6 is closer to truth.
It will be nice if Lynx can add a software switch between these two sound characteristics.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #591 of 762
I again respect your hearing. It does sound brighter and bass a bit bigger. Maybe turn down the input volume a bit. It does sound hotter.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #593 of 762
Just as an update, I'll be bringing my Lynx Hilo to the Music City Meet in Nashville on May 10th if anybody is in the area and wants to give it a listen!! :)

May 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #594 of 762
Had an experience I wanted to share: 

I finally got around to upgrading the firmware on my Hilo to 6.1-- I've been looking forward to having a remote for pretty much the entire time I've been aware of the device itself. But after updating the firmware, I ran into some problems. Without hashing out all the gory details, my Hilo locked into 48k sampling rate and wouldn't come out of it for anything, meaning regular 44.1k files played too quickly, and 96k files were incredibly slow. After fiddling about, searching for others who might be having the same or similar issues, and having very little luck, I decided to post on the Lynx support forum.

By the end of the day that I made my post, I had two Lynx support guys working with me to get everything resolved, and after they determined that my issue was unique (they had not encountered nor heard of it before), one of the gentlemen, David, sent me no less than two links to download firmware written specifically to try to fix my issue. He also asked if I would be willing to allow him to remote into my computer in order to determine what the specific nature of the problem was. Neither of the firmware downloads fixed it, so they kept working on it, and by the next afternoon, they had been able to replicate my issue in the lab and had devised a solution, which they immediately communicated to me in both email and by replying on the forum. I tried it, and my Hilo is now perfectly functioning. 

When I spent about a year and a half researching DACs, I decided that going with a company that was committed to future-proofing their devices and providing as many updates as possible was going to be important. What I couldn't foresee is what a huge impact that kind of mentality would have on their ability to help me out when I ran into an unanticipated problem. I could certainly be mistaken; but I just cannot imagine many other companies going to those kinds of lengths to ensure that one customer (and a consumer, not a pro customer, at that) was so absolutely and completely taken care of. Issues will always arise with sophisticated pieces of equipment, of pretty much any kind; what matters is the way in which the company decides to resolve the issue. I positively could not be more happy or impressed. 

I can't say that I doubt my decision to buy the Hilo even less now, because I've never doubted it; but I can say that I feel that such incredibly urgent, informed, personal, and ultimately effective assistance only underlines the wisdom of the decision to purchase their products that much more profoundly. 

Lynx, you don't just have a customer, you have an evangelist. Keep this up and you guys will rule the world eventually :wink:

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

May 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #595 of 762
^^ Great experience 
beerchug.gif

My impressions of Lynx were similar when I had problems updating the firmware. They approached me to help them resolve the issue, even though I managed to update the firmware using a different machine and was ready to put this behind me. A few days later they released a new firmware updater that works much more reliably.

This all proves that Lynx is a company that really stands behind their products. 

May 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #596 of 762
Brilliant service. 

I remember that, when I first started with PC audio, over ten years ago, Lynx was the one to dream about, although far too expensive for me.

I would still dream about Lynx, especially the Hilo, but it seems it does not work with Linux.

For a pro DA/AD multifaceted solution, it is actually modestly priced, and yet I have seen the words, "best converters I have ever heard" used several times.

I have wondered (but, forgive me, not yet read this entire thread) how the headphone amplifier, specifically, is rated. Yeah, ok... I'll read the thread!

May 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #597 of 762
  Had an experience I wanted to share: 

I finally got around to upgrading the firmware on my Hilo to 6.1-- I've been looking forward to having a remote for pretty much the entire time I've been aware of the device itself. But after updating the firmware, I ran into some problems. Without hashing out all the gory details, my Hilo locked into 48k sampling rate and wouldn't come out of it for anything, meaning regular 44.1k files played too quickly, and 96k files were incredibly slow. After fiddling about, searching for others who might be having the same or similar issues, and having very little luck, I decided to post on the Lynx support forum.

By the end of the day that I made my post, I had two Lynx support guys working with me to get everything resolved, and after they determined that my issue was unique (they had not encountered nor heard of it before), one of the gentlemen, David, sent me no less than two links to download firmware written specifically to try to fix my issue. He also asked if I would be willing to allow him to remote into my computer in order to determine what the specific nature of the problem was. Neither of the firmware downloads fixed it, so they kept working on it, and by the next afternoon, they had been able to replicate my issue in the lab and had devised a solution, which they immediately communicated to me in both email and by replying on the forum. I tried it, and my Hilo is now perfectly functioning. 

When I spent about a year and a half researching DACs, I decided that going with a company that was committed to future-proofing their devices and providing as many updates as possible was going to be important. What I couldn't foresee is what a huge impact that kind of mentality would have on their ability to help me out when I ran into an unanticipated problem. I could certainly be mistaken; but I just cannot imagine many other companies going to those kinds of lengths to ensure that one customer (and a consumer, not a pro customer, at that) was so absolutely and completely taken care of. Issues will always arise with sophisticated pieces of equipment, of pretty much any kind; what matters is the way in which the company decides to resolve the issue. I positively could not be more happy or impressed. 

I can't say that I doubt my decision to buy the Hilo even less now, because I've never doubted it; but I can say that I feel that such incredibly urgent, informed, personal, and ultimately effective assistance only underlines the wisdom of the decision to purchase their products that much more profoundly. 

Lynx, you don't just have a customer, you have an evangelist. Keep this up and you guys will rule the world eventually :wink:

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Very reassuring indeed... it's one of the reasons I also decided to purchase the Hilo, hoping that at least one company would follow-through with it's promises of upgradability and firmware updates. Thus far, Lynx has been outstanding in providing a Thunderbolt interface card and a firmware and driver update within a year of my purchase.
biggrin.gif
 I've got a good feeling about the Lynx, Hilo.

Bravo! to them.

May 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #598 of 762
Glad to see that others have had similar experiences with Lynx!! One can easily become jaded with some of the atrocious customer interactions some companies have; it's really nice to have contrasting examples, like Lynx (and Meier Audio, and Q-Audio, and Norne Audio, etc) that are such a pleasure to do business with. It really makes me happy that I spent my money with them over some of their competitors :wink:

Quote:
  I have wondered (but, forgive me, not yet read this entire thread) how the headphone amplifier, specifically, is rated. Yeah, ok... I'll read the thread!

Yeah, definitely read the thread, but I'll Cliff Notes my experience for you quickly: pretty darn good!! I liked the HPA in the Hilo better than my standalone AMB M^3, and it mates particularly well with the LCD-2.1 IMO. I've also used it with my IEMs, and it performs admirably (really nice pairing with the ASG-2). Definitely "good enough" for most anything, and something that wouldn't leave you immediately lusting for another amp (unless you're using the HE-6 or similar). If you have a pro audio dealer around you somewhere, you might be able to swing by and have a listen! :)

May 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #599 of 762
Thanks for that. I live in India, and popping in somewhere for an audition on something like this is just not possible

Added to which, as I may have mentioned, when I last looked it doesn't work with Linux.

(When I've been registered long enough to have a custom sig, I might make it...

...But does it work with Linux?

:wink: )

May 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #600 of 762
  Thanks for that. I live in India, and popping in somewhere for an audition on something like this is just not possible

Added to which, as I may have mentioned, when I last looked it doesn't work with Linux.

(When I've been registered long enough to have a custom sig, I might make it...

...But does it work with Linux?

:wink: )

Ha! Well, as a Linux user, I'm guessing you're a pretty savvy guy with software... Maybe you can get the Hilo up and running on your distro, and thereby open up penguin supporters worldwide to the wonders of the Hilo!! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back