Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Oct 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #421 of 762
My Hilo arrived today, and I'm listening to a DVDA rip at 96/24 (Ray Brown). It sounds really good. I was concerned the interface would be too complicated, but it's not, at all . . . quite straightforward, in my opinion. I suppose it will take days or weeks to really get the measure of this little box.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #423 of 762
Thanks, HC! And thanks for arranging such a sweet deal with the good folks in Kentucky. That got me to go ahead -- I'm usually pretty reluctant to spend.

Now, about the sound . . . the more I listen to the Hilo, the more I like it. The openness, ease, imaging, and clarity strike me over and over. Another is how much I hear the differences in recording technique from one album to another.

I find the treble outstandingly non-fatiguing, even at CD resolution, and that's the thing that usually hurts my ears. Finally, Hilo to my Sennheiser HD650 is the first time I have really found extended headphone listening enjoyable, in 40 yrs of audiophilia -- though maybe I shouldn't admit that on HeadFi.

I am using only a small part of what this thing can do, but I am enjoying the heck out of it.

Mike

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #424 of 762
Yup! that sounds about right, Mike. I'm glad you're enjoying your Hilo, it's pretty amazing. It seems that we keep hearing the same descriptions over and over again regarding the Hilo's headphone output.

As you use the other features, you'll see what a real gem this little-guy is. Keep us posted.

Regards.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #425 of 762
Grunter72 is giving a DA8 a listen today. May not be able to compare but we'll just have to await his impressions.

Yes, excuse me for the delay.
Everything I'm going to write is imho, and depends on my tastes.
Last Tuesday I went to my friend Claudio for the first time.
He has a very good full audio-gd stereo system: C39 preamplifier, C10 power amplifier and Ref7 (first version) dac with Sonus Faber Liuto as loudspeakers.
He also has very good headphone system: Hifiman He500 (that I sold to him cause for me has too many bass), Senn hd650, Burson Soloist and Violectric v200.
The first thing that caught my attention listening to Claudio's system is that Ref 7 is a great dac with very realistic timbre, in other words instruments have their real sound, with a deep body to the bass section.
Claudio thinks that Ref7 soundstage is a bit narrow, and that lacks a bit of dynamics, but for me this is not important, because Ref 7 sounds very, very real: a piano is a piano, a string is a string, and most important thing male and female voice are exceptional.
Recordings with few acoustic instruments and voice such jazz quartet or vocal jazz are bread for ref7 teeth.
Ref7 remind me of Burl2 Bomber Dac that has the same naturalness and real timbre and also of Lector Digitube 192 (even if Digitube has more sense of fluency and more richness in mid section).
But... as always audiophile people (and I put me in this group) are searching for some more and something new (apart from their system's goodness), so Claudio would like to have another dac with more airy sound and more dynamics to use with recordings with much more instruments than a jazz quartet (these are him thoughts, not mine, I think Ref7 works very very well also with recordings with many instruments).
So lastly he has bought an Anedio D2, not to replace Ref7 but to have a different sound signature dac to alternate to Ref7.
So we put Anedio D2 in place of Ref7 to try it in his system.
During last months Claudio used this configuration that he prefers over Ref7 being (according to him) more versatile and balanced.
What can I say... the first thing I notice is that all that correctness and reality given by Ref7 is gone away: we have more dynamics, we have greater sound-stage, we have a more airy presentation but every instrument is not the real instrument we have listened to with Ref7, for my ears now we have a reproduction of it made of plastic.
Anedio d2 sound is not for me, it reminds me of M2tech Young (I've listened to some time ago in my system): timbre is not real, is false, so every other aspect (such dynamics, sound-stage, instruments separation) is not important because what I listen to (for my tastes) sounds not real.
Obviously these are my sensations, Claudio globally prefers Anedio d2 to Ref7, for me, on the other end, there is no contest.
De gustibus non est disputandum.
After Anedio d2 we put on Lynx Hilo and now everything (imho) come back to reality. Now we have the airy presentation and the big sound-stage that Claudio looking for, without loosing real and correct timbre. Hilo has lesser body than Ref7 but has more high frequencies refinement maintaining a balanced reproduction and adding great instruments separation.
I put them (Ref7 and Hilo) on the same level, with different sound signature, so is a question of taste if you prefer one or the other.
With Hilo we compared the same recordings in 24-96 pcm and than in dsd (such as Diana Krall "Temptaion" and Pink Floyd "Money) and we agreed that dsd sound more 3d and put you inside music more than pcm. As I've already written, when I choose Hilo I didn't give much importance to dsd, but now I'm happy that Hilo is able to reproduce them.
Meantime arrived also another friend, Matteo (Executive Editor of www.stereo-head.it) who has receveid from Yulong a Da8 to make a review of it.
So we put on da8 instead of Hilo.
Yulong da8 is a great bang for the buck: good headphone amp (even we didn't test it in such way), volume control to use it without preamp (neither we try it in such way), can read every format up to 32/384pcm, dxd, dsd file up to dsd 512, and sounds good.
How does it sound? Its sound is correct, with good tonal balance and correct timbre, much better (for me) than Anedio d2. Da8 is a bit on the dark side, something that remind me of Senn hd650 sound signature, even if I think da8 is more linear.
So how I put it against Hilo?
In brief I think that Hilo (and also Ref7) worth the money they cost. So if you could afford Hilo imho you make a good choice to go with it instead of da8. Yulong da8 lacks the great high frequencies extensione of Hilo (whithout the harshness of Anedio d2), da8 lacks the instruments separation of Hilo and its bigger sound-stage but, overall, da8 sounds good, so if your system is less revealing than Claudio's one you could be happy with da8, even if Hilo is at a higher level than da8.
Globally I was a little disappointed by da8 cause I thought it could be on par with Hilo, but it was not.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #426 of 762
Very interesting, Claudio. Thanks for posting the comparison.  True timbre and refined highs are the two things I enjoy most about the Hilo. The excellent imaging is a great bonus.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #428 of 762
Hi Mike, I'm Grunter (alias Federico), Claudio is a friend of mine,
Maybe my English need a little improvement.
:D

It's Mike-48 that's confused for some odd reason. It's obvious (already) in line three of your post that Claudio is your friend, and hence not you. Ditto for Matteo.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #429 of 762
  Meantime arrived also another friend, Matteo (Executive Editor of www.stereo-head.it) who has receveid from Yulong a Da8 to make a review of it.
So we put on da8 instead of Hilo.
Yulong da8 is a great bang for the buck: good headphone amp (even we didn't test it in such way), volume control to use it without preamp (neither we try it in such way), can read every format up to 32/384pcm, dxd, dsd file up to dsd 512, and sounds good.
How does it sound? Its sound is correct, with good tonal balance and correct timbre, much better (for me) than Anedio d2. Da8 is a bit on the dark side, something that remind me of Senn hd650 sound signature, even if I think da8 is more linear.
So how I put it against Hilo?
In brief I think that Hilo (and also Ref7) worth the money they cost. So if you could afford Hilo imho you make a good choice to go with it instead of da8. Yulong da8 lacks the great high frequencies extensione of Hilo (whithout the harshness of Anedio d2), da8 lacks the instruments separation of Hilo and its bigger sound-stage but, overall, da8 sounds good, so if your system is less revealing than Claudio's one you could be happy with da8, even if Hilo is at a higher level than da8.
Globally I was a little disappointed by da8 cause I thought it could be on par with Hilo, but it was not.

Great impressions, thanks for that, really helpful.

A couple of questions on test setup if you don't mind:
- What headamp and phones did you use with DA8
- Did you run DA8 in DAC only mode by disabling preamp/amp function
- What settings did you use, i.e. Filter (Slow/Sharp), Jitter reduction (on/off)

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #430 of 762
We tested da8 and other dac only with Sonus Faber Liuto loudspeakers having disabled pre/volume function (we used audio-gd pre) with jitter reduction enabled and sharp filter on.
Then we listened to our headphone but only with anedio d2 alternating soloist and V200 as headamp: Senn hd 650 and 800, Hifiman he500, Beyer t90, Shure 1840 and some high quality in ear that Matteo is testing now for him site.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #432 of 762
Did this DA8 get enough break-in hours?   In another post I see people mentioned it needs 100 hours of break-in to have better highs and better sound-stage.    

Quote:
In brief I think that Hilo (and also Ref7) worth the money they cost. So if you could afford Hilo imho you make a good choice to go with it instead of da8. Yulong da8 lacks the great high frequencies extensione of Hilo (whithout the harshness of Anedio d2), da8 lacks the instruments separation of Hilo and its bigger sound-stage but, overall, da8 sounds good, so if your system is less revealing than Claudio's one you could be happy with da8, even if Hilo is at a higher level than da8. Globally I was a little disappointed by da8 cause I thought it could be on par with Hilo, but it was not.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #433 of 762
Grunter,

We have the same impression with the D2. I found it to be too hot on top and not natural sounding with some bass weakness on speakers. The Ref. 7 is a very relaxing sound and I like the V5 (?) DSP upgrade provided it. It opened the soundstage up considerably compared to the original V3 version. It's been a couple years since I've heard the Ref 7. The Master 7 has had the kinks worked out and really improved the bottom end details. Still the relaxed sound I remembered the Ref 7 having.

That said, I'm a fan of the mids and highs more than vigorous bass and the Hilo just fits my tastes perfectly. I had the opportunity to try some solid silver ICs over the last couple weeks and am sending them to the next reviewer tomorrow. I went back to the copper ICs and am underwhelmed. The openness of the sound and expansive soundstage of the Hilo through the Silverfi Rumi balanced cables is the best sound I've experienced with my headphone rig to date. I've not heard my HE-6 sound this good. The amount of detail retrieval on live recordings was astonishing. Never harsh or fatiguing and the naturalness of sound was a true joy. I've heard C,S,N&Y 4 Way Street for 40 years and never heard it sound like this. There were sounds I'd never heard before that made me smile and emotionally engaged like nothing short of the live shows. I think I've found my nirvana for listening and with a couple cable tweaks, I'm truly a happy camper. My audiophile annality has been quenched.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #434 of 762
We tested da8 and other dac only with Sonus Faber Liuto loudspeakers having disabled pre/volume function (we used audio-gd pre) with jitter reduction enabled and sharp filter on.
Then we listened to our headphone but only with anedio d2 alternating soloist and V200 as headamp: Senn hd 650 and 800, Hifiman he500, Beyer t90, Shure 1840 and some high quality in ear that Matteo is testing now for him site.

From my limited experience with DA8, Jitter Reduction hampers performance quite a bit and better left off unless you are dealing with too jittery source.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #435 of 762
Did this DA8 get enough break-in hours?   In another post I see people mentioned it needs 100 hours of break-in to have better highs and better sound-stage.  

Maybe not, this da8 unit was shipped from Yulong to Matteo for letting him test the da8 for his site, so I don't know if this unit is a new one or a demo one.
I think that probably it's new.

Grunter,

We have the same impression with the D2. I found it to be too hot on top and not natural sounding with some bass weakness on speakers. The Ref. 7 is a very relaxing sound and I like the V5 (?) DSP upgrade provided it. It opened the soundstage up considerably compared to the original V3 version. It's been a couple years since I've heard the Ref 7. The Master 7 has had the kinks worked out and really improved the bottom end details. Still the relaxed sound I remembered the Ref 7 having.

When I've chosen my new dac I was debated between Hilo and Master 7 and finally I chose Hilo because it's from a pro company (that could have more market if I'd like to sell it in the future while, here in Italy, Audio-gd it's difficult to sell), it has very, very good measures (http://en.goldenears.net/17387) and everybody are very happy with it.
But I know that I'll be happy even with master 7.
Anyway Lynx Hilo is one of the most neutral dac I've ever heard and I think it could match very well with different sound system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back