Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Oct 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #437 of 762
  Hi Federico, in Italy we have a regular importer of Yulong products. 
I'm looking for a DA8 to compare with my Mytek.

Yes, I know.
Italian importer is www.palmtop.it
Strangely Yulong answers to Matteo's request (to receive a demo unit to test) while palmtop no.
Where do you live?
Matteo is from Brescia, you could send him a message http://www.stereo-head.it/2013/04/contatti/ or contact him on gazeboaudifilo or tforum (Turo91).
From a previous listening to Mytek I could say that they sound quite different: mytek has a very open sound while da8 is more dark.
But the most important thing is to listen to them with your ears.
:D

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #440 of 762
Has anyone experimented with USB cables to see if the Hilo responds to them? What are you using? I'm using a Wireworld Starlight.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #442 of 762
I saw the first Hilo sold on the sale forums today. Goodbye Mr. Sneis.

You can never expect any less from the likes of me!  

Planning on trying to either make some big consolidation moves or maybe just downsize and lay low for a bit.  Life priorities really changing for me these days for better or worse.

I contend that Hilo is neck and neck with PWDmk2 - just different sounds.  I also loved the ability to DDC when I didn't have any other method.  The Hilo will be missed and I don't even have any clear "upgrade" path at the moment.

About selling my Hilo, I wish I could say I was happy with the way the transaction is turning out but...

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #443 of 762
Life has a way of sticking it when you least expect it. Good luck in your journey going forward.

Grunter, isn't it something how a USB cable has an impact on the sound of 1s & 0s?

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #445 of 762
There is an overwhelming weight of hobbyists that says the sonic characteristic of something can't be influenced by a digital transmission. It either presents bit perfect or it misses data. But it can't impact the analog waveform. An IC cable may have some influence but not an USB cable. Especially when using a USB receiver that reclocks the data.

I am not one of those. I believe I have heard different USB cables have an impact on what I hear.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #446 of 762
When I got my first transport and DAC, around 1990, the dealer demonstrated a $175 silver digital cable for me -- a princely sum to me at the time. To my dismay, the sound was markedly better than with a generic video cable. The engineer in me was dismayed, as was the miser in me.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #447 of 762
Don't go into a cable thread and especially the science forum without proof because there are science templars that will strongly denounce your claim. Exceptionally bright fellows with a well tried case proving you didn't hear what you thought you heard but that the sales person slighted your experience by trickery by turning the volume up or suggestive hypnotism.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #448 of 762
Don't go into a cable thread and especially the science forum without proof because there are science templars that will strongly denounce your claim. Exceptionally bright fellows with a well tried case proving you didn't hear what you thought you heard but that the sales person slighted your experience by trickery by turning the volume up or suggestive hypnotism.
And neither should you.

Everyone hears things differently with an infinite variation of equipment. Why can't you respect his opinion and move on?

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #449 of 762
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye open for your comparison of the 2. Still stuck on my da8
smily_headphones1.gif
, like glue--the strong kind.

'Crazy' glue?

-Daniel

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #450 of 762

Users who are viewing this thread

Back