Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Sep 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #391 of 762
How does the Hilo compare to the Yulong DA8

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #393 of 762
There was a question asked that I didn't know how to answer so I'll ask here to see about an answer. Can the Hilo record DSD? I assume not but thought I'd ask.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #394 of 762
There was a question asked that I didn't know how to answer so I'll ask here to see about an answer. Can the Hilo record DSD? I assume not but thought I'd ask.

There's at least a copuple of answers in the Lynx Support Forum:
  1. http://www.lynxstudio.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4613&title=hilo-dsd-dxd
  2. http://www.lynxstudio.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4835&title=hilo-dsd-support

The short answer is no. It may very well not be possible to implement at all, but this isn't completely clear to me.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #395 of 762
There's at least a copuple of answers in the Lynx Support Forum:

The short answer is no. It may very well not be possible to implement at all, but this isn't completely clear to me.
Thank you for searching. I didn't think it would support recording since that's not done in the industry. This also answers another question. It only does 64fs DSD.

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #396 of 762
Thank you for searching. I didn't think it would support recording since that's not done in the industry. [...]

It depends on what you mean by "the industry" - hifi or pro audio. DSD recording capabilities are available in the latter, but PCM is more common and wide spread.

I believe Korg has one ore more DSD recording products:

Yamina – Love Letters EP
 ​

Direct To DSD
 ​
[size=large]Do nothin till you hear from me[/size]
(Duke Ellington – Bob Russell)​
[size=large]Can’t help lovin’that man[/size]
(Jerome Kern – Oscar Hammerstein II)​
[size=large]Love Letters[/size]
(Victor Young – Edward Heyman)​
[size=large]Meditation[/size]
(Antonio Carlos Jobim – Newton Mendonça – Norman Gimbel)​
 ​
This recording was done at the wonderful venue Järna Kultur center. Using a AKG C12VR mic on Yaminas vocals and a stereo Thuresson on the Steinway D grand piano. The mic feeds goes through the famous Opus3 4-channel valve mixer where mild Equalizing and high-pass filters are applied. Then straight into the Korg MR2000S and captured in DSD128. Those files captured by the MR2000S are the once you are downloading. No other after processing is applied. It is essentially as real as it gets. Comparable to direct-to-disc recorded vinyls but without the losses in duplication. In otherwords Direct-To-DSD.​

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #397 of 762
Hi-Fi of course. The industry think's we are just parasites out to steal their creations. Ashamed that but they have influence so.......

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #398 of 762
Oct 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #399 of 762
It's great to see that Lynx is dedicated to enhancing their Hilo (and other) interfaces. I would only hope that one day they will release a interface card with USB 3.0, Firewire, Thunderbolt and whatever else they might be able to throw in there.
bigsmile_face.gif

I have to say, dollar-for-dollar, this is the best value out there IMO.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #400 of 762
CWD,

I'm not on the Lynx forum so could you find out any particulars for current Hilo owners wishing to have their units upgraded? And for the audiophile, is this something that would improve the sonic output of the unit?

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #402 of 762
How does the Hilo compare to the Yulong DA8

Next Tuesday I'll listen to a Yulong da8, I hope to have enough time to compare it to Lynx Hilo.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye open for your comparison of the 2. Still stuck on my da8 :), like glue--the strong kind.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #403 of 762
It's great to see that Lynx is dedicated to enhancing their Hilo (and other) interfaces. I would only hope that one day they will release a interface card with USB 3.0, Firewire, Thunderbolt and whatever else they might be able to throw in there. :bigsmile_face:

I have to say, dollar-for-dollar, this is the best value out there IMO.
can you elaborate?

Which product in your opinion would come close?

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #404 of 762
can you elaborate?

Which product in your opinion would come close?
I think he's of the opinion based on what's offered vs sound comparison. The Yulong at $1300 would have certainly peaked my interest when I was looking at one. Sure would like to hear one.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #405 of 762
CWD,

I'm not on the Lynx forum [...]

Neither am I. I received the news in an e-mail from the Norwegian importer which I bought my Lynx Hilo from, and then searched for some information before writing a post about it on the Norwegian forum Hifisentralen and on Head-Fi. 

[...] so could you find out any particulars for current Hilo owners wishing to have their units upgraded?

If I haven't misunderstood the information I received and the information on the Lynx site I linked to, anyone can buy the Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt LSlot Interface for Lynx Hilo and install it themselves. If the Hilo already has a card installed (ie. USB), you must remove it before the new card can be installed.

The Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt LSlot Interface needs a new firmware version. I don't know whether one may run the firmware update after installation of the new card or it should be performed before card swap.

[...] And for the audiophile, is this something that would improve the sonic output of the unit?

I'm under the impression that the Thunderbolt interface/protocol have much higher bandwidth and hence can cater for a lot of high resolution channels at the same time. You can also chain several Thunderbolt units and use them in consert.

I think I saw somebody writing about (possible) reduced latency as well.

I assume that most two channel listeners are well off with the USB card, but I may be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back