Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Apr 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #333 of 762
Quote:
Of course, I speak about my limited listening experience.

One good unit (commercially available) with decent design using Sabre is the Calyx Dac (need the power supply though). Still I haven't heard any sabre DAC that is as involving as a good NOS/R2R dac. Btw since you live in Italy, have you had the chance to demo the North Star Extremo yet? 

Also, I would love to see the OR5 + Hilo/Forsell/B2 comparison 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #334 of 762
Quote:
One good unit (commercially available) with decent design using Sabre is the Calyx Dac (need the power supply though). Still I haven't heard any sabre DAC that is as involving as a good NOS/R2R dac. Btw since you live in Italy, have you had the chance to demo the North Star Extremo yet? 

bigsmile_face.gif

Another good example of sabre 9018 is Eastern Electric Minimax with opa627 or lme opamp.
A good dac just a little on the loudness side.

The comparison will be done, but I don't know when. Maybe in may.

The only northstar dac I've listened to is Model III (quite an old dac) but, for my taste, doesn't sound very well.
Northstar is in San Giuliano Terme and I live in Pistoia, so about 70km near me.
I could ask them.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #335 of 762
Quote:

bigsmile_face.gif

HEX anyone?

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #336 of 762
Quote:

HEX anyone?

Cost a tons, and basically a two octave board + 1 digital board - each with its own toroidal transformer; colour me unimpressed 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I'm not even motivated to ask for a demo, even though I liked the Octave.

Plus I'm not even sure if we can call the metrum "NOS", since they erased all identification from the chip.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #338 of 762
Not sure about TOTL but Line Magnetic just put out a new NOS DAC (IIRC) with both tube and SS output options.

I really want to hear it.

May 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #340 of 762
I have had the Lynx Hilo in my secondary setup paired with yesteryear's "flagship" headphones and a ZDT for over a week now and this thing deserves all the praise it has been getting.  I won't get into any specifics but it runs pretty darned hot, looks pretty, doesn't take up a lot of space, and seems well built.  I listen through USB to a Mac (cheapie usb cable) with both good and bad source material and am very pleased with the purchase.  Shopping for DACs is not a fun task in my experience but I am glad I took the chance.  The USB input is asynchronous with the xmos chipset; something I don't think Lynx tries to promote about their DAC.  I can't say how the headphone amp is but I have definitely heard better when using the hd600 and hd650 through it so that part of the DAC is likely a bunch of marketing hype.

I also have no intent or desire to add a high quality usb to spdif converter or even look at more expensive DACs at this point.  So that's a big plus!

May 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #341 of 762
I have heard better amps as well but for the convenience, it's not bad with the few I've tried. They do a very good job with the HE-500s. I've been running the monitor outs to my speaker rig and am considering a XLR/RCA converter for that purpose. The line out to my headphone rig is killer so I'd like to hear the imaging on my stats. I'm not as intent as I once was to just listen to headphones.

And I agree 100% about DAC shopping. Too much concentration and too little difference. I'll just say I'm good to stop here. But when prepro ever gets his Buffalo III, I'll still swap the PWDII, Master 7 and Buffalo III for the experience and to comment here.

May 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #342 of 762
Regarding the headphone amplifier:

I like it as I've described earlier.

What amplifiers are you two comparing it to? Is this more a question of taste than quality? It wouldn't necessarily surprise me that it's not for everyone, especially those that listen at high loudness levels and are treble sensitive.

May 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #343 of 762
Hmmm... you think the Buffalo III could really compete with the Hilo? (I've pretty much decided on the Hilo so that I can stop waffling and researching every new DAC that comes out, but I'm still curious). 

May 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #344 of 762
Hmmm... you think the Buffalo III could really compete with the Hilo? (I've pretty much decided on the Hilo so that I can stop waffling and researching every new DAC that comes out, but I'm still curious). 
The time I heard it, it certainly did sound in that league. The price though will be more like the PWDs by the time they get the bugs ironed out.

May 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #345 of 762
Regarding the headphone amplifier:

I like it as I've described earlier.

What amplifiers are you two comparing it to? Is this more a question of taste than quality? It wouldn't necessarily surprise me that it's not for everyone, especially those that listen at high loudness levels and are treble sensitive.
Well for me, the new GS-X II, Singlepower maxxed Extreme, Bryston HPA, Zana Deux, to name a few. All of which cost as much as or more than the DAC itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back