Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Nov 3, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #91 of 9,223
sure. but many users can't do that. and many others would find paying $7 a better deal.
i'm trying to open the jack to check the solders, no success. color of the sleeves are gorgeous, specially the silver (shiny grey) + black.
this is why i appreciate repairable plugs..

Just curious what multimeter you're using though?

My own only goes down to 1 decimal place with regards to resistance measurements. A quick check suggests the 3 decimal place ones cost a bomb with the 2 decimal point ones a reasonable US$50 or less. Can't find a 3 decimal place one anywhere even near US$100.

As for the TRN 8-core, bi-colour cables that are going for US$8+ on Aliexpress now, my quick measurements for both 2.5mm TRRS with MMCX and 2-pin correlates well with your measurements. All 4 pins are in the 0.3~0.4 Ohm range for both cables that I bought.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #92 of 9,223
Just curious what multimeter you're using though?

My own only goes down to 1 decimal place with regards to resistance measurements. A quick check suggests the 3 decimal place ones cost a bomb with the 2 decimal point ones a reasonable US$50 or less. Can't find a 3 decimal place one anywhere even near US$100.

As for the TRN 8-core, bi-colour cables that are going for US$8+ on Aliexpress now, my quick measurements for both 2.5mm TRRS with MMCX and 2-pin correlates well with your measurements. All 4 pins are in the 0.3~0.4 Ohm range for both cables that I bought.
it seems the rule.. somebody told the operators to solder that way.. it makes me laugh.. how to screw a decent cable..
i use UNI-T UT61E for most tasks, but for low resistance precision, i use a meter bought for measuring batteries internal resistance and low resistance coils for vaping:
https://lygte-info.dk/review/InternalResistanceMeterYR1030 UK.html
https://lygte-info.dk/review/InternalResistanceMeterYR1035 UK.html
they cost <$50

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #93 of 9,223
I got two cables this year I am looking at. I bought plenty of the cheaper SPC and copper varieties but I am gonna spend a bit on some higher end ones. A pure copper one for my IT04 and a 4 core pure silver in balanced for my future Solaris. Lol. As you all know I can't post them on here but you can guess where I am gonna buy them from.

The copper one looks just like this cable. Just like it.

effect-audio-bespoke-ares-ii-3.jpg

Down to the carbon fiber design on the plugs. Will be $68 on singles day.

The new silver cable is more spendy vs the cheaper silver ones sold on the site will be $95ish
This is the one I am considering.
HTB186ANKf9TBuNjy0Fcq6zeiFXaO.jpg

Good looking cable and I am thinking it is actual silver. Lol.Better be for the price.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #95 of 9,223
sorry. numbers are mΩ. resistivity, opposite to conductivity. read my bold sentence above.
yes. any of the types (colors) of your link is better than the new trn 8 cores cable (you pay 2x, but still budget, and you get better cable).
the trn isn't bad, and quite better than old cheap <$10 upgrades. wire is good, but there is something weird in the solders of the jack: 2 cores should be used for each signal/ground, but they used only 1 core for left signal, and 3 cores for left ground (in 3.5mm jack) or right cold (in 2.5mm jack). trn should check how their operators are soldering the jacks (tried 3.5mm and 2.5mm, and both were wrong).
It's sad to hear that TRN is ripping us off with their bad quality new cables... I bought 2 and regret it now. Thanks for informing us!

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #96 of 9,223
It's sad to hear that TRN is ripping us off with their bad quality new cables... I bought 2 and regret it now. Thanks for informing us!
don't regret of purchasing them. the wire and the plugs (and the look!) are the best under $10 around. far better than old upgrades.
the slight imbalance due to wrong soldering should be barely noticeable. it's just a pity they don't solder the cores right. it's.. stupid; they don't save anything by doing that. hope they notice this and start doing it ok soon.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #97 of 9,223
don't regret of purchasing them. the wire and the plugs (and the look!) are the best under $10 around. far better than old upgrades.
the slight imbalance due to wrong soldering should be barely noticeable. it's just a pity they don't solder the cores right. it's.. stupid; they don't save anything by doing that. hope they notice this and start doing it ok soon.

Do we know this soldering (mis)configuration in on all of the new TRN cables? Maybe it was just a QC issue on 1 cable.

Like KZ soldering a driver out of phase. It is only on a small minority of units, not the standard way they KZ does them all.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #98 of 9,223
Do we know this soldering (mis)configuration in on all of the new TRN cables? Maybe it was just a QC issue on 1 cable.

Like KZ soldering a driver out of phase. It is only on a small minority of units, not the standard way they KZ does them all.
no, it seems to be the regular way all these cables are soldered. i tried 2, one single end and 2.5mm balanced, different colors. you can check my measurements: both are wrong, 1 core for left signal, 3 cores for left ground/right cold.
@maxxevv also measured 2 units, same result.
maybe the space for soldering left signal on the jack is small to solder 2 cores, and they decided to solder only one core there, and three where there are more space, just for comfort while soldering.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #101 of 9,223
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #103 of 9,223

Users who are viewing this thread

Back