Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #7,246 of 9,211
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #7,247 of 9,211
There is cable thread in headfi with even more detailed cable testing, but reading the number is kinda beyond me right now
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/
Reading specs is beyond me too. The thing is, How would one read the cable specs and then compare it to a specific iem (if it would be a perfect pairing)?

Or would only the cable statistics matter?

What might be best is if people start listing what cable goes perfect with which iem (in their opinion) and then those stats are placed in the start of the thread.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #7,248 of 9,211
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #7,249 of 9,211
Reading specs is beyond me too. The thing is, How would one read the cable specs and then compare it to a specific iem (if it would be a perfect pairing)?

Or would only the cable statistics matter?
It may matter but not like that it is all about DC resistance and capacitance. IMHO it is very inconclusive to measure any earphone cables.

Here is a good reference:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/the-sound-of-speaker-cables-an-analysis/

I have measured the AC resistance (don't mix up with DC resistance, you need to measure the inductance to get the AC resistance) of several cables and they were all around 5 ohms so the sound difference is not likely caused by the resistances anyway.
What might be best is if people start listing what cable goes perfect with which iem (in their opinion) and then those stats are placed in the start of the thread.
There will be too many combinations but it may be a good start for some popular IEMs and most likely the budget ones.
I tried the Hibiscus copper cable on the BQEYZ KC2 and it was soo bright that it's really unlistenable.
The cable can be too bright with some IEMs. Just IMO, it is easier to match IEMs with mixed material cables.
Do you find the XINHS cables better all rounders? (I.e. Can be used on many earphones.)
It may depend on which XINHS cables and I would say all my 30 XINHS cables are better than the Hibicus copper (I have two, sadly).

Let me copy and paste my list:

I recommend the following:
The rainbow cable should be the most versatile cable I have bought from them, but it really comes in ugly colours, ugly blue, ugly pink, ugly green and rainbow version is already the best looking.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.1.3f3f744dFFet8Z

I have been recommending this cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.5.3bb41de00jGp80
Best resolution and separation and only cable that can increase stage height, it can be very slightly slow sometimes and slightly low in mids but generally very versatile and high quality, mids can be a little recessed.

This one I think is better than the white crane, but the listed price is expensive, you can get it at at least half the price:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_groupList.8148356.21.198d4cbbXgowqT
much more balanced and higher resolution than the white crane

This one has some character:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.1.673c23abtVrmhC
It has a kind of holography sound and generally very balanced.

This gold plated cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_allProduct.8148356.11.3bb41de00jGp80
Very punchy bass and good treble extension, stage a little smaller but also very versatile.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #7,250 of 9,211
It may matter but not like that it is all about DC resistance and capacitance. IMHO it is very inconclusive to measure any earphone cables.

Here is a good reference:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/the-sound-of-speaker-cables-an-analysis/

I have measured the AC resistance (don't mix up with DC resistance, you need to measure the inductance to get the AC resistance) of several cables and they were all around 5 ohms so the sound difference is not likely caused by the resistances anyway.
Yes! The impedance of a cable to AC signals is made up of its resistance and reactance (caused by stray cable capacitance and inductance). EE101.

The reactance part likely affects the music more than the cable resistance. Cable resistance in itself may or may not indicate its AC performance.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #7,251 of 9,211
I tried the Hibiscus copper cable on the BQEYZ KC2 and it was soo bright that it's really unlistenable.

Do you find the XINHS cables better all rounders? (I.e. Can be used on many earphones.)
xinhs cables are very good quality.

The bottom tri cable is xinhs, the one above it is the KZ tri cable.

Granted it is $10 and a damn good deal for the price, the conductors are not spiraled as tight and also thinner than the xinhs cable.
2021-06-08.jpg

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #7,252 of 9,211
Yes! The impedance of a cable to AC signals is made up of its resistance and reactance (caused by stray cable capacitance and inductance). EE101.

The reactance part likely affects the music more than the cable resistance. Cable resistance in itself may or may not indicate its AC performance.
Exactly! And don't forget the non-linear impedance of earphone drivers. With all these limited measurements and figures it is very pointless to determine the quality of cables simply based on the DC resistance and higher resistances (DC or AC) do not necessarily mean lower cable quality.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #7,253 of 9,211
Exactly! And don't forget the non-linear impedance of earphone drivers. With all these limited measurements and figures it is very pointless to determine the quality of cables simply based on the DC resistance and higher resistances (DC or AC) do not necessarily mean lower cable quality.
Sorry to disappoint you again, but the inductance and capacitance values of IEM cables are all about the same, and even the most ardent snake-oil salesmen stopped trying to cite these values, resorting instead to "everyone hear differently" and "reputation", you know...

What "5 Ohm" are you talking about? There should be complex values for AC measurements, right?

Inductance does matter a lot for high-power speaker cables, but not for IEM cables - IEMs consume well below 10 mW.

(I did test a lot of cables with sensitive all BAs; cables can matter, but I am now convinced that the influence of cables just indicates the limitations of the source).

Getting few different sources, that are as affordable now as those "1%Au cables" - for instance Tempotec E44 and/or E1DA should be able to cure anyone of delusions of the influence of cables.
With E1DA SG3 I had my wow moment today - I added IEMatch to the chain and the sound signature did not change(!!) with all-BAs (!!!) (just volume attenuation), as one would expect for a very capable source. (With my other sources, especially the phone, the difference upon adding IEMatch was quite apparent - the testament to the source limitations).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #7,254 of 9,211
Sorry to disappoint you again, but the inductance and capacitance values of IEM cables are all about the same, and even the most ardent snake-oil salesmen stopped trying to cite these values, resorting instead to "everyone hear differently" and "reputation", you know...

What "5 Ohm" are you talking about? There should be complex values for AC measurements, right?

Inductance does matter a lot for high-power speaker cables, but not for IEM cables - IEMs consume well below 10 mW.

(I did test a lot of cables with sensitive all BAs; cables can matter, but I am now convinced that the influence of cables just indicates the limitations of the source).

Getting few different sources, that are as affordable now as those "1%Au cables" - for instance Tempotec E44 and/or E1DA should be able to cure anyone of delusions of the influence of cables.
With E1DA SG3 I had my wow moment today - I added IEMatch to the chain and the sound signature did not change(!!) with all-BAs (!!!) (just volume attenuation), as one would expect for a very capable source. (With my other sources, especially the phone, the difference upon adding IEMatch was quite apparent - the testament to the source limitations).
I am not sure how you did all your experiments but the last "experiment" you posted somewhere in the forum indicated that you don't even understand basic electronic circuit so without any proper lab methodologies and records I prefer ending any "discusssion" like this. Sorry to disappoint you.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #7,255 of 9,211
I am not sure how you did all your experiments but the last "experiment" you posted somewhere in the forum indicated that you don't even understand basic electronic circuit so without any proper lab methodologies and records I prefer ending any "discusssion" like this. Sorry to disappoint you.
Empty claims are all that understandably you can do now.
5 Ohms totally sums its up, good luck!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #7,260 of 9,211
😂Do I have to copy and paste for you??? It is in Appendix B of the article and I used method 1.
Its like you're talking to a wall, he responds with something thats unrelated to what you're talking about with some kind of gibberish thats incomprehensible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back