Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #4,486 of 9,238
So this is one of the newest cables from NiceHCK called the Blocc. Nylon covered 5N UPOCC, 2 thicker cores litz configuration and does all good things that higher end copper cables do. This is made by the same folks that made the Oalloy or cable 210. Same excellent deep hitting bass with full on mids and a clean treble end. I am including this cable review on the low end cheap thread because on sale you can buy these for $80. Which for these cables is a deal. You can read more about them.
DSC07337.JPGhttps://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-blocc-iem-cable.24504/

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #4,487 of 9,238
But I can't find any balanced cables for my Hifiman Arya, do they only make cables for IEM?
I'd generally advise against using iem gauge wires for headphones as I feel they tend to impede sound quality. For budget headphone cables, I would recommend buying studio grade cables from the likes of canare, belden and mogami along with the requisite parts and getting a local diyer or cable repair store to assemble it for you. These wires are industry standard for studio use and the quality of the copper they use is solid, and they go for as little as $2-5 per meter. So your total cable costs will consist mostly of the parts you choose and workmanship costs. For headphones I feel that this is the best route to take if you're on a budget that nets you significant improvements to the stock cables. Otherwise, staying on stock or retermination stock to balanced are also options as the stock cables with headphones in the tier of the Arya are actually pretty solid, and a lot of the times replacing it with the cheaper generic headphone cables you find on Ali will actually be a downgrade. Right now there just aren't many good headphone cable options on Ali unfortunately.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #4,488 of 9,238
It's even cheaper on Ali express
Yes, and so goes the allure of AliExpress... until you order from them using the default "Free Shipping" and find out it comes via "Slow Boat From China" which can take months, and months.

I have two AliExpress orders outstanding, one made on May 4th and June 8th with large estimates remaining for delivery.

I don't mind paying a little extra to actually get my paid for products in a timely manner, so I don't worry about paying more than AliExpress "Free Shipping" pricing.

Lately I've seen this more and more on AliExpress items: "Can Not Deliver to United States":

All 3 places I can find the cables on AliExpress won't ship to the US:
Aliexpress Can not deliver to United States.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #4,489 of 9,238
I'd generally advise against using iem gauge wires for headphones as I feel they tend to impede sound quality. For budget headphone cables, I would recommend buying studio grade cables from the likes of canare, belden and mogami along with the requisite parts and getting a local diyer or cable repair store to assemble it for you. These wires are industry standard for studio use and the quality of the copper they use is solid, and they go for as little as $2-5 per meter. So your total cable costs will consist mostly of the parts you choose and workmanship costs. For headphones I feel that this is the best route to take if you're on a budget that nets you significant improvements to the stock cables. Otherwise, staying on stock or retermination stock to balanced are also options as the stock cables with headphones in the tier of the Arya are actually pretty solid, and a lot of the times replacing it with the cheaper generic headphone cables you find on Ali will actually be a downgrade. Right now there just aren't many good headphone cable options on Ali unfortunately.

That's why i said I can't find any good cheap cable for headphones, not iems

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #4,490 of 9,238
That's why i said I can't find any good cheap cable for headphones, not iems
I've bought NewFantasia cables to "upgrade" from stock cables on a number of headphones. They are solidly built, but nothing fancy, and the prices have been in the $20-$40 range.

There are higher grade "fancier" cables as well as balanced cables with XLR and 4.4mm ends, but my headphones are all SE wired so far so I've no need for them.

Here's a quick search on Amazon for balanced "hifiman" cables, make sure you order the right 2.5mm / 3.5mm cup ends:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hifiman+balanced+headphone+cable&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4,491 of 9,238
Yes, and so goes the allure of AliExpress... until you order from them using the default "Free Shipping" and find out it comes via "Slow Boat From China" which can take months, and months.

3DFC886A-9DB6-4986-B7F3-7A0A670AC3AE.jpeg

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #4,492 of 9,238
^^^In my recent experience here in the U.S., it's not even necessarily the "slow boat from ____" causing super slow delivery. I think USPS and Customs are a big culprit. Hell, right now, I have a IEM cable from Linsoul milling about Chicago-land for 11 days now; got to O'Hare from Linsoul in China in like 72 hours. DHL says it was "tendered to delivery service provider" (in this case, USPS) 5 days ago. Nothing since. Zilch.

This is why I've been really reluctant to pay for "express" shipping....sometimes, it does no good. It may get to the States fast, but then just languishes for weeks...months; many of us have gone through this the last few months. I think it's finally sunk into my thick skull. I am done buying anything with international shipping for the foreseeable future if I can at all help it.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #4,493 of 9,238
Just received my Urbanfun ISSO14, and and Tripowin Zonie balanced mmcx upgrade cable...4 months after ordering. Cancelled my order last month and got a refund.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #4,494 of 9,238
Just received my Urbanfun ISSO14, and and Tripowin Zonie balanced mmcx upgrade cable...4 months after ordering. Cancelled my order last month and got a refund.

Wow, lucky break!!

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #4,495 of 9,238
DSC07348.JPG Nice as HCK 4 core pure silver cables in the house. Got them connected to one of my faves and it was meant to be. I am gonna tell you guys what seems to be too good to be real is in fact for real. I can clearly tell these are pure silver cables.

I am gonna just say I had a $200 pure silver cable on these Orbs before I got these NiceHCK cables. I am gonna use these NiceHCK cables on the Orb. It synergizes even better. If these silver cables aren't a bang for buck I have no idea what is. These are very comparable to much more expensive sets. Believe me I just did a hour of head to head comparisons on the Orbs. There is no distinguishable differences. These might actually sound a touch better. Unbelievable. I am gonna get a few more of these cables as it is basically robbery for this quality.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #4,496 of 9,238
Nice as HCK 4 core pure silver cables in the house. Got them connected to one of my faves and it was meant to be. I am gonna tell you guys what seems to be too good to be real is in fact for real. I can clearly tell these are pure silver cables.

I am gonna just say I had a $200 pure silver cable on these Orbs before I got these NiceHCK cables. I am gonna use these NiceHCK cables on the Orb. It synergizes even better. If these silver cables aren't a bang for buck I have no idea what is. These are very comparable to much more expensive sets. Believe me I just did a hour of head to head comparisons on the Orbs. There is no distinguishable differences. These might actually sound a touch better. Unbelievable. I am gonna get a few more of these cables as it is basically robbery for this quality.

So you’re saying there’s no reason to spend $7200 on a cable anymore?

D55F68E1-4634-4374-8CA9-122800014353.png

Oh no, how are the a$$ raping boutique cable companies gonna pay for that new Bentley now?

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #4,498 of 9,238
ya those cables are ridiculous. Cant see how they can charge so much for cables. Cost more than the highest end flagships. Lol.
You can’t put a price on bragging rights, can you?

I have a handful of those silver cables on the way. Can’t wait.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #4,499 of 9,238
DSC07348.JPG Nice as HCK 4 core pure silver cables in the house. Got them connected to one of my faves and it was meant to be. I am gonna tell you guys what seems to be too good to be real is in fact for real. I can clearly tell these are pure silver cables.

Do you have a link for those NiceBCK cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back