Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #4,501 of 9,188
I know this thread is basically IEM related but I wanted to chime in and give a thought or two.
I have always been one of those cables don't change the sound etc guys. I've never really heard much of a difference, but I've only used copper cables, mostly NewFantasia cables on my Sennheisers because they are cheap.
So I bought a HD 58x back when, the stock cable is decent but again I bought a NewFantasia cable. Used it forever but I felt the 58x was just Meh. So I decided I wanted to try a different cable, maybe it would make a difference?
Went to fleabay and found a sliver Acrolink cable made and sold by a seller in the UK. $30 not too bad, it looked nice and well made so I bought it.
Okay, I'm a believer. it is SO much better then stock or the NewFantasia cables I've used forever.
I grabbed my son and used him as the tester. I didn't want to have the feeling just because it's new its better so I got him in as a person who has no clue. LOL
I said do you hear a difference in these two cables? The first thing he said, wow this one sounds so much clear and he can hear everything. I'm like yeah right.. He said okay this doesn't even sound the same.
My take is the silver cable is much more open and detailed sounding. It really is a big difference. Ive read silver is "Brighter" and for sure it is, but wow it really make the darker Senns sound fantastic. They actually have a much wider stage as well.
The only thing I notice is the deeper bass is lighter on the silver cable. It didn't change it but the impact is for sure less.
But man the detail and imaging is really a BIG shock. Call me impressed for sure.
I'm even now thinking about trying a blend of copper/silver...Just a few thoughts, thanks for listening:)

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #4,502 of 9,188
This is the reason why you gotta look into a good SPC or silver coated copper cable for the Senns. Best of both worlds. But your right silver will do that and it does lessen the bass impact. But it already has good bass so going silver is not a bad thing.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #4,503 of 9,188
This is the reason why you gotta look into a good SPC or silver coated copper cable for the Senns. Best of both worlds. But your right silver will do that and it does lessen the bass impact. But it already has good bass so going silver is not a bad thing.
Yeah, I'm really liking the change. I've found a blend on Lunashops (Never used them) for like $40. I might give its a shot.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #4,504 of 9,188
I use lunashops all the time. Great place to pick up on cheaper cables. Bought me a crystal copper cable for my Amiron homes recently and it is a perfect match for them.

I think I have that cable your looking at for the Senns. It sounds great on the Senns in balanced.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #4,505 of 9,188
I use lunashops all the time. Great place to pick up on cheaper cables. Bought me a crystal copper cable for my Amiron homes recently and it is a perfect match for them.

I think I have that cable your looking at for the Senns. It sounds great on the Senns in balanced.
Cool, I'm placing an order. If anyone is interested the silver cable I bought it's from AUDIO123 (seller name (2010-pc-gaming) don't know if they have a store? The cheapest silver cable I found at the time. I got it here in California in like 9 days so shipping was good too!!!

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #4,506 of 9,188
Nice as HCK 4 core pure silver cables in the house. Got them connected to one of my faves and it was meant to be. I am gonna tell you guys what seems to be too good to be real is in fact for real. I can clearly tell these are pure silver cables.

I am gonna just say I had a $200 pure silver cable on these Orbs before I got these NiceHCK cables. I am gonna use these NiceHCK cables on the Orb. It synergizes even better. If these silver cables aren't a bang for buck I have no idea what is. These are very comparable to much more expensive sets. Believe me I just did a hour of head to head comparisons on the Orbs. There is no distinguishable differences. These might actually sound a touch better. Unbelievable. I am gonna get a few more of these cables as it is basically robbery for this quality.
You can’t put a price on bragging rights, can you?

I have a handful of those silver cables on the way. Can’t wait.
Where did you all order the NiceHCK versions of that KBEAR cable from? Or did you order the KBEAR? What delivery did you use to get them so quickly? I'm in the US.:)
What was the shipping method used to get through to you so quickly?

Darn, that listing says the same for me, "Can not deliver to United States"

For now it looks like I'll continue ordering from Hifigo :)
https://hifigo.com/products/kbear-4-core-4n-99-99-purity-silver-earphone-cable-with-2pin-qdc-mmc-tfz
https://hifigo.com/products/kb-ear-16-core-silver-earphone-iem-cable-with-metal-2pin-mmcx-qdc
https://hifigo.com/products/kb-ear-16-core-pure-ccopper-cable-with-metal-2pin-mmcx-qdc-connector
https://hifigo.com/products/kbear-8-core-single-crystal-copper-upocc-cable-with-2pin-mmcx-qdc-tfz
I know this thread is basically IEM related but I wanted to chime in and give a thought or two.
I have always been one of those cables don't change the sound etc guys. I've never really heard much of a difference, but I've only used copper cables, mostly NewFantasia cables on my Sennheisers because they are cheap.
So I bought a HD 58x back when, the stock cable is decent but again I bought a NewFantasia cable. Used it forever but I felt the 58x was just Meh. So I decided I wanted to try a different cable, maybe it would make a difference?
Went to fleabay and found a sliver Acrolink cable made and sold by a seller in the UK. $30 not too bad, it looked nice and well made so I bought it.
Okay, I'm a believer. it is SO much better then stock or the NewFantasia cables I've used forever.
I grabbed my son and used him as the tester. I didn't want to have the feeling just because it's new its better so I got him in as a person who has no clue. LOL
I said do you hear a difference in these two cables? The first thing he said, wow this one sounds so much clear and he can hear everything. I'm like yeah right.. He said okay this doesn't even sound the same.
My take is the silver cable is much more open and detailed sounding. It really is a big difference. Ive read silver is "Brighter" and for sure it is, but wow it really make the darker Senns sound fantastic. They actually have a much wider stage as well.
The only thing I notice is the deeper bass is lighter on the silver cable. It didn't change it but the impact is for sure less.
But man the detail and imaging is really a BIG shock. Call me impressed for sure.
I'm even now thinking about trying a blend of copper/silver...Just a few thoughts, thanks for listening:)
Yeah, I'm really liking the change. I've found a blend on Lunashops (Never used them) for like $40. I might give its a shot.
Cool, I'm placing an order. If anyone is interested the silver cable I bought it's from AUDIO123 (seller name (2010-pc-gaming) don't know if they have a store? The cheapest silver cable I found at the time. I got it here in California in like 9 days so shipping was good too!!!
That's awesome, I've been looking for upgrades to my NewFantasia "plain" cables. They offer upgraded balanced cables and even have a PTFE silver plated copper option for B&W cables, but I've not seen listings for other SE headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=NewFantasia+PTFE+Silver+Plated+Copper&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

If you have current links for those specific cables that worked for you to post that would be very helpful. Searching by seller name then guessing at the product name - or reading through all their listings - takes a lot longer than just clicking a link for a completed ebay product listing. :)
Anyone know if it's possible to have a "balanced" cable connected to a Sennheiser 598cs? [answered below] I thought not, unless I rewire it internally, so what's this? Do I need to also rewire internally to use it? The description suggests all I need is this cable...I'm thinking of ordering the 4.4mm termination version.

1.2M OCC Balance Headphone cable cord Silver For Sennheiser HD598se 599 momentum
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2M-OCC-B...-Sennheiser-HD598se-599-momentum/312322198166

And, a more reasonably priced version:

2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male for Sennheiser HD598 HD558 HD518, HD598 Cs HD599 HD579
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Trrs...HD558-HD518-HD598-Cs-HD599-HD579/253454913037

That's interesting, I also found a NewFantasia "balanced" 2.5mm cable for HD598cs:

NewFantasia HiFi Cable with 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male for Sennheiser HD598 / HD558 / HD518 / HD598 Cs / HD599 / HD569 / HD579 Headphones and for Astell&Kern AK240 AK380 AK320 onkyo DP-X1 FIIO
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Sennheiser-Headphone-XDP-300R/dp/B075C9HXW5

It's listed as a "silver" cable, but not much info on composition of the wire...

Question:
Some confusion here: is input jack for hd569 a real balanced input? or is it necessary reconect internal wires? will it work with cowon pr dap?
Answer:
The HD598 has a real balanced input. I confirmed this with Sennheiser before I bought the cable. I would guess the 569 is the same, but you can email Sennheiser you want to be sure. It does improve the sound considerably with my Onkyo dap.
By Blue Summers on November 3, 2018

Newfantasia has a bunch of 2.5mm balanced "silver" cables, some for my headphone needs - a nice bump up from the "plain" low cost cables I am using. Plenty of 4.4mm balanced too, but none for my headphones, which is what I am looking to get:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=NewFantasia+HiFi+Cable+with+2.5mm+Trrs+Balanced
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=NewFantasia+HiFi+Cable+with+4.4mm+Balanced

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #4,507 of 9,188
1595342370642.png

How can you tell the difference between stainless steel and some other metal? (without durability tests likes scratching it or something harmful)

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,508 of 9,188

How can you tell the difference between stainless steel and some other metal? (without durability tests likes scratching it or something harmful)

- Mass spectrometer
- magnetic (assuming it is magnetic stainless as not all is) can help rule out some non-ferrous metals (such as aluminum), but cannot be used to definitely verify stainless because there are magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steels
- specific gravity testing
- you can also identify specific minerals using VIS-NIR spectrometer, and use that to help identify specific alloy compositions

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4,509 of 9,188
Edit: Solved my problem.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #4,510 of 9,188
So my pure silver NiceHCK cables came today.

There are differences between the pure silver NiceHCK cables and the pure silver TRN T3 cables.

I’ll break it down for you:
  • The NiceHCK cables are thinner than the TRN T3. Thinner cores = less silver = not as good conductivity.
  • Because of the above point, the NiceHCK cables are higher resistance than the TRN T3 cables (1.0ohm vs 0.3ohm).
  • The strain relief at the source plug is not that great on the NiceHCK cable. It’s a wide open gap, with the braided cores just flopping around in the hole. This should have been filled in with glue or resin to stabilize the strain relief like most cables.
  • The NiceHCK chin slider doesn’t actually do anything. The one on the TRN T3 is actually functional.

There are advantages to the NiceHCK cables however:
  • The NiceHCK cables are available with QDC/Paragraph C as well as NX7/Blon ends. The TRN does not offer this option.
  • As @RikudouGoku pointed out, the NiceHCK cables are available with a 4.4mm balanced termination. The TRN T3 cables do not offer a 4.4mm option.
  • The source plugs (2.5mm, 3.5mm, etc) and y splitter appear to be of a higher quality.
  • The preformed ear guides are softer and more flexible on the NiceHCK cables. I actually want to keep these ear guides on, instead of cutting the guides off like I do to most cables (including the TRN T3 cables).
  • The NiceHCK cables are lower price than the TRN T3 cables (good if you’re on a budget but want pure silver). This makes sense, as thinner wires = less silver = lower price.
So, in my opinion...

I recommend the NiceHCK cable:
  1. If you’re on a budget and want the absolute lowest price on a pure silver cable.
  2. If you need Paragraph C/QDC or NX7/Blon plugs.
  3. If you need 4.4mm balanced termination.
  4. If you need a higher resistance cable (1.0ohm, which can have a sonic effect on some earphones).
I recommend the TRN T3 cables:
  1. If you want an overall thicker “better” pure silver cable, and can afford a higher budget (while still being a ridiculously good bang for the buck).
  2. If you need a low resistance budget pure silver cable.
I should also mention that I did NOT tear down the NiceHCK cable, nor melt it down and assay the silver content (like I did to the TRN T3 cable). I have no reason to doubt NiceHCK though, so I have no plans to tear it down at this time. I mainly tested the TRN T3 silver cable because of not trusting TRN due to their previous cable shenanigans.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,511 of 9,188
So my pure silver NiceHCK cables came today.

There are differences between the pure silver NiceHCK cables and the pure silver TRN T3 cables.

I’ll break it down for you:
  • The NiceHCK cables are thinner than the TRN T3. Thinner cores = less silver = not as good conductivity.
  • Because of the above point, the NiceHCK cables are higher resistance than the TRN T3 cables (1.0ohm vs 0.3ohm).
  • The strain relief at the source plug is not that great on the NiceHCK cable. It’s a wide open gap, with the braided cores just flopping around in the hole. This should have been filled in with glue or resin to stabilize the strain relief like most cables.
  • The NiceHCK chin slider doesn’t actually do anything. The one on the TRN T3 is actually functional.

There are advantages to the NiceHCK cables however:
  • The NiceHCK cables are available with QDC/Paragraph C as well as NX7/Blon ends. The TRN does not offer this option.
  • The source plugs (2.5mm, 3.5mm, etc) and y splitter appear to be of a higher quality.
  • The preformed ear guides are softer and more flexible on the NiceHCK cables. I actually want to keep these ear guides on, instead of cutting the guides off like I do to most cables (including the TRN T3 cables).
  • The NiceHCK cables are lower price than the TRN T3 cables (good if you’re on a budget but want pure silver). This makes sense, as thinner wires = less silver = lower price.
So, in my opinion...

I recommend the NiceHCK cable:
  1. If you’re on a budget and want the absolute lowest price on a pure silver cable.
  2. If you need Paragraph C/QDC or NX7/Blon plugs.
  3. If you need a higher resistance cable (1.0ohm, which can have a sonic effect on some earphones).
I recommend the TRN T3 cables:
  1. If you want an overall thicker “better” pure silver cable, and can afford a higher budget (while still being a ridiculously good bang for the buck).
  2. If you need a low resistance budget pure silver cable.
I should also mention that I did NOT tear down the NiceHCK cable, nor melt it down and assay the silver content (like I did to the TRN T3 cable). I have no reason to doubt NiceHCK though, so I have no plans to tear it down at this time. I mainly tested the TRN T3 silver cable because of not trusting TRN due to their previous cable shenanigans.
The TRN T3 does not have balanced 4,4mm option though...only 2,5mm.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #4,513 of 9,188
Not sure. I only use 2.5mm balanced.

Good to know though :)
Do you know the impedance for the Faaeal litz copper cable? The difference with the T3 and LitzPS seems pretty big...(0.3 vs 1.0)

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #4,514 of 9,188
Do you know the impedance for the Faaeal litz copper cable? The difference with the T3 and LitzPS seems pretty big...(0.3 vs 1.0)

If I remember correctly, it was 0.3 or 0.4.

And yes, 0.3 vs 1.0 is a big difference.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #4,515 of 9,188
If I remember correctly, it was 0.3 or 0.4.

And yes, 0.3 vs 1.0 is a big difference.
well you just killed my little hype for the litzps then (was planning on buying it on the next sale) :joy:. And sadly since the T3 does not have 4,4mm that is also dead for me :joy:.

Although I dont need any cables at this current time...but well I think you guys know that wont stay like that with my shopping spree...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back