Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Sep 16, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #2,611 of 9,224
I am in need of help from this knowledgeable community! So, I just got my ZSX in and im mostly loving it. However im having a cable problem. The gold/silver 8 core upgrade cable ive been using all along with my ZS10 Pro's actually feels really uncomfortable combined with the different shape of the ZSX. With the way the earhooks are molded, it actually forces the ZSX out of the position i found to be the most comfortable in my ears, and decreases the quality of the seal too. At first i thought it was the ZSX themselves, but nope. Its the cable. Ive been thinking of picking up something a little nicer anyway, and here's when i really need the help of this knowledgeable community!
I've been shown these a few times by members on here and am considering getting them
FENGRU DIY JCALLY Gold JC16 6N OFC 16 Shares 480 Cores Earphone Upgrade Cable for Shure SE215 IE80 KZ ZST ZSN ZS10 Pro TFZ TRN
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/LCpX0spi but i need to know the dimensions of the plug on it.
The case I'm using to cover my S10+, while providing excellent comfort and protection, has a very narrow channel covering the jack. This has been a major pain in the neck for me since I got into the Chifi hobby. This kz upgrade cable is literally the only one I own that fits!
Ive taken some measurements. The plug on the upgrade cable is 8mm in diameter and 19mm long. And that fits like a glove. I had purchased a TRN T2 16 core cable recently and unfortunately it doesn't fit and i dont feel like paying to send it back to China lol. The plug on that cable is 9mm wide and 16mm long and is too wide and short to fit! That tiny bit of difference made it unusable. So I figured I'd ask if anyone owns this JCALLY cable and happens to know the dimensions of the plug, that would be a big help to me and I'd really appreciate it ! I really don't wanna order another cable I can't use with my phone!

Also if anyone has any other recommendations for nice cables (preferably under $30) that have a plug size that's the same, I'd be interested in checking some others out too.
Thanks in advance!
Anyone able to help me with this?

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2,613 of 9,224
Sep 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,614 of 9,224
I've noticed that everyone seems to be purchasing their cables on aliexpress but it seems that some of the same cables are also on Amazon. Being from the states and having a Prime membership, is there a reason not to order from Amazon? Or the cables just similar looking but not the same quality?

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,615 of 9,224
You are right it is the same vendors that are selling off of Amazon. However. I haven't seen the prices actually being better on Amazon. Most of the times the same cable on Aliexpress will be much cheaper. The negative being the wait times but there is much less risk when it comes to cables vs something like headphones bought from over seas. If you know what your looking for. Aliexpress has sales all the time where the same cable you would see on Amazon are half the price.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #2,616 of 9,224
Hi SinisterDev.
I am in need of help from this knowledgeable community! So, I just got my ZSX in and im mostly loving it. However im having a cable problem. The gold/silver 8 core upgrade cable ive been using all along with my ZS10 Pro's actually feels really uncomfortable combined with the different shape of the ZSX. With the way the earhooks are molded, it actually forces the ZSX out of the position i found to be the most comfortable in my ears, and decreases the quality of the seal too. At first i thought it was the ZSX themselves, but nope. Its the cable. Ive been thinking of picking up something a little nicer anyway, and here's when i really need the help of this knowledgeable community!
I've been shown these a few times by members on here and am considering getting them
FENGRU DIY JCALLY Gold JC16 6N OFC 16 Shares 480 Cores Earphone Upgrade Cable for Shure SE215 IE80 KZ ZST ZSN ZS10 Pro TFZ TRN
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/LCpX0spi but i need to know the dimensions of the plug on it.
The case I'm using to cover my S10+, while providing excellent comfort and protection, has a very narrow channel covering the jack. This has been a major pain in the neck for me since I got into the Chifi hobby. This kz upgrade cable is literally the only one I own that fits!
Ive taken some measurements. The plug on the upgrade cable is 8mm in diameter and 19mm long. And that fits like a glove. I had purchased a TRN T2 16 core cable recently and unfortunately it doesn't fit and i dont feel like paying to send it back to China lol. The plug on that cable is 9mm wide and 16mm long and is too wide and short to fit! That tiny bit of difference made it unusable. So I figured I'd ask if anyone owns this JCALLY cable and happens to know the dimensions of the plug, that would be a big help to me and I'd really appreciate it ! I really don't wanna order another cable I can't use with my phone!

Also if anyone has any other recommendations for nice cables (preferably under $30) that have a plug size that's the same, I'd be interested in checking some others out too.
Thanks in advance!

Are you referring to this KZ cable on your ZSX? Well, I'm not having any fitting problems on my ZSX at all. It actually hugs my ears comfortably. Perhaps different ears, different fit. Maybe JCALLY has one. I'm actually looking at one of their 16 cores.
20190919_200357.jpg

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,617 of 9,224
Just got my cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9.0&pvid=d9eac49e-dcf4-4f7b-934c-fca5c90b4bda

awesome sound quality, the cable itself is a bit on the soft side(too soft for my taste) and thin ( would want a 8 core version of this, this is 4 core).

The only real bad thing is that the chinslider doesnt work at all, like If you hold the cable up the slider goes down and if you hold the cable upside down the cable goes up. ( I do not use chinsliders so it doesnt matter to me)

Sidenote I asked the seller to change to these plugs instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007390678.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_48890756.pic_21 (the plugs are the same as the default only the material is metal instead of plastic, judging by the pictures at least)
And these plugs do not fit entirely on my KXXS sadly.( still works but sticks up a bit)

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,618 of 9,224
@hakuzen Bro, is cable 175 still your favourite? Might be interested in buying it since I liked their budget one. :grin:

edit: And do you prefer carbon fiber or sandalwood for the connector and "divider" (not sure if its called divider but thats what it is listed as) and what about Rhodium-plated plugs vs normal plugs?

edit2: Can I ask the seller to make the cables with earhooks?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,619 of 9,224
Just got my cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9.0&pvid=d9eac49e-dcf4-4f7b-934c-fca5c90b4bda

awesome sound quality, the cable itself is a bit on the soft side(too soft for my taste) and thin ( would want a 8 core version of this, this is 4 core).

The only real bad thing is that the chinslider doesnt work at all, like If you hold the cable up the slider goes down and if you hold the cable upside down the cable goes up. ( I do not use chinsliders so it doesnt matter to me)

Sidenote I asked the seller to change to these plugs instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007390678.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_48890756.pic_21 (the plugs are the same as the default only the material is metal instead of plastic, judging by the pictures at least)
And these plugs do not fit entirely on my KXXS sadly.( still works but sticks up a bit)
i see you have T800, can you give impressions with these vs the stock SPC. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,621 of 9,224
i see you have T800, can you give impressions with these vs the stock SPC. Thanks!
my cable is 0.78 mm 2 pin so cant lol

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,622 of 9,224
@hakuzen Bro, is cable 175 still your favourite? Might be interested in buying it since I liked their budget one. :grin:

edit: And do you prefer carbon fiber or sandalwood for the connector and "divider" (not sure if its called divider but thats what it is listed as) and what about Rhodium-plated plugs vs normal plugs?

edit2: Can I ask the seller to make the cables with earhooks?
If you check out this post you will find hakuzen's favorites spelled out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/#post-14985614

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,623 of 9,224
my cable is 0.78 mm 2 pin so cant lol
You have a very valid point!:ksc75smile:
Well, I read kxxs has a really bad stock cable, but impressions compared to that would also be appreciated.:beerchug:

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,624 of 9,224
You have a very valid point!:ksc75smile:
Well, I read kxxs has a really bad stock cable, but impressions compared to that would also be appreciated.:beerchug:
I didn't even try the stock cable, I used an old trn 8 Core cable. And because the trn is 3,5 and not 4,4 mm balanced I feel it is not fair to compare so I didn't do it.

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,625 of 9,224
Hi there!

And first of all a big THANKS! to Hakuzen for this impressiv thread that really helps to find a good cable.
Actually made me aware that there are huge differences in Quality.

So i wanted something nice for my new Tin P1 and it ended in the question "175 or 174" :wink:
I got both the P1 and the Electro Acousti 8 core pure silver cable "174" today.

-Build quality is amazing but i am not sure if pure silver was the right decission.
The headphones need some burning and i am not sure if there is a strong difference between some 16core copper i also got and this right now.
-i Need to do some Testing and actually the headphone will work on the E1DA PowerDACv2 and 9038S G2.
-i can EQ the hell out of the headphone on the PowerDACv2 with bluetooth smartphone app but first lets see how it sounds in some days after some pink noise waterboarding :wink:

price seems highon Paper first... but as you mentionend Hakuzen.. youll get a very good craftet product that uses excellent components.
SO this thread made me a litle poorer but happy :wink:)

I just hope 174 will work great .. i listen to a lot of electronic music like the orb, matthey herbert and stuff thats not so bass heavy.. also NuJazz, Classical Game Soundtracks.. and so on.
Otherwise ill have to try and refund for 175 ot the silver/gold one.

Best regards Daniel!

P1_0001.jpg

P1_0000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back