Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,621 of 3,520
Atlas better than z1r?

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,622 of 3,520
Oct 4, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #1,623 of 3,520
Atlas better than z1r?

Better suggests objective truth. I will avoid that. To my taste, it is more desirable, especially with the collection of IEMs that I already have.

The Sony is excellent, a detail monster, although the CA Atlas has tighter instrument placement. The sound of the CA Atlas is compelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,624 of 3,520
My questions seem to not get answered on the UI, so let me lay them out differently as maybe people aren't reading the paragraph form.

1. When selecting genre, does it go to songs or to artists?
2. Does artist search by album artist or artists?
3. Will the LPGT do folder play through?

Thanks. It is between the LPGT and Cayin N8 at this point.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #1,625 of 3,520
My questions seem to not get answered on the UI, so let me lay them out differently as maybe people aren't reading the paragraph form.

1. When selecting genre, does it go to songs or to artists?
2. Does artist search by album artist or artists?
3. Will the LPGT do folder play through?

Thanks. It is between the LPGT and Cayin N8 at this point.

I only use the Folder browser and Search functions, but at a quick glance:

1. There is no Genre function
2. It certainly searches by Artist since that is what I use. I only use Album Artist for compilations; in that case, it is searching on the Artist name (not "Various", which is the Album Artist).
3. No. It only plays within a Folder. Well, it is actually playing within a current 'Playlist' which is automatically created when you select a song within a Folder. You can then add other Folders manually to the current Playlist. You can also add an entire Artist to the current Playlist. So that is a kind of multi-Folder.

Hope that this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,626 of 3,520
I only use the Folder browser and Search functions, but at a quick glance:

1. There is no Genre function
2. It certainly searches by Artist since that is what I use. I only use Album Artist for compilations; in that case, it is searching on the Artist name (not "Various", which is the Album Artist).
3. No. It only plays within a Folder. Well, it is actually playing within a current 'Playlist' which is automatically created when you select a song within a Folder. You can then add other Folders manually to the current Playlist. You can also add an entire Artist to the current Playlist. So that is a kind of multi-Folder.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks. That is perfect!

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,628 of 3,520
Pleasure.

FYI I am also a Genre guy. But my Folders are organised Genre / Artist / Album. So the Folder browser is doing what I need.

All my Christmas albums are in a folder called Christmas/Artist/Album/Song while the rest of my music is just Artist/Album/Song. The exception is compilations like soundtracks that are under Various/Album/Song, with Various being used as the artist.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,629 of 3,520
Question for anyone (and especially anyone who has used an IEM both single ended and balanced on the LPGT):

Given the reputed similarity between the 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm balanced sockets on the LPGT, can I expect any tangible benefit from getting CA's 4.4mm balanced cable for the Atlas?

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,630 of 3,520
All my Christmas albums are in a folder called Christmas/Artist/Album/Song while the rest of my music is just Artist/Album/Song. The exception is compilations like soundtracks that are under Various/Album/Song, with Various being used as the artist.

I got a 512GB SD when I upgraded to the LPGT so that I could go portable with my lossless files. I faced what you are facing: those files were just Artist / Album (because Facets in Foobar is so transparent in browsing on Genre tags...)

Admittedly I have too much time on my hands, but converting over was not too painful. Maybe a couple of hours of work during which I became richly reacquainted with my music collection. :ksc75smile: For me, the LPGT is worth the effort.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,631 of 3,520
I got a 512GB SD when I upgraded to the LPGT so that I could go portable with my lossless files. I faced what you are facing: those files were just Artist / Album (because Facets in Foobar is so transparent in browsing on Genre tags...)

Admittedly I have too much time on my hands, but converting over was not too painful. Maybe a couple of hours of work during which I became richly reacquainted with my music collection. :ksc75smile: For me, the LPGT is worth the effort.

I too have all my lossless on one card (and multiple other places :) ) With Christmas already set up as a genre, it would not be too hard for me to the convert. I just do not like the idea of splitting up albums by the same artists into separate genres. I don't have too many like that, but it does happen. It definitely happened with the Christmas genre, but I only listen to it about a month a year (unlike my wife who does year round).

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,632 of 3,520
Question for anyone (and especially anyone who has used an IEM both single ended and balanced on the LPGT):

Given the reputed similarity between the 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm balanced sockets on the LPGT, can I expect any tangible benefit from getting CA's 4.4mm balanced cable for the Atlas?

The biggest gain I’ve noticed going 4.4 on lpgt is quieter background. Solaris is a hiss monster and is pretty dead quiet on 4.4. Other than that I sometimes prefer the sound out of 3.5 on the lpgt. All of these differences are small. I think twister 6 said both sound very similar as well.

But this hobby we like to try things so I’d say try a balanced cable stand see for yourself!

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,633 of 3,520
The biggest gain I’ve noticed going 4.4 on lpgt is quieter background. Solaris is a hiss monster and is pretty dead quiet on 4.4. Other than that I sometimes prefer the sound out of 3.5 on the lpgt. All of these differences are small. I think twister 6 said both sound very similar as well.

But this hobby we like to try things so I’d say try a balanced cable stand see for yourself!

Damn! This is the worst possible answer! :L3000: :ksc75smile:

You are right though. Eventually I will have to give the 4.4m cable a shot.

No rush. Something to look forward to. :beerchug:

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,634 of 3,520
Damn! This is the worst possible answer! :L3000: :ksc75smile:

You are right though. Eventually I will have to give the 4.4m cable a shot.

No rush. Something to look forward to. :beerchug:
I have both 3.5- and 4.4-ended Pure Silver Litz cables for Atlas and I can refer to the most recent from here (written by Deezel177, 01.05.2019) - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lotoo-paw-gold-touch-lpgt.23491/reviews. Particularly section "Balanced vs. Single-Ended" describes somewhat like what I'm experiencing. Though for my untrained hearing difference is subtle. I would describe it like we have the same amount of sound which is dense from 3.5 output and sparse from 4.4 one. Both - 3.5 and 4.4 - are engaging.

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,635 of 3,520
I have both 3.5- and 4.4-ended Pure Silver Litz cables for Atlas and I can refer to the most recent from here (written by Deezel177, 01.05.2019) - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lotoo-paw-gold-touch-lpgt.23491/reviews. Particularly section "Balanced vs. Single-Ended" describes somewhat like what I'm experiencing. Though for my untrained hearing difference is subtle. I would describe it like we have the same amount of sound which is dense from 3.5 output and sparse from 4.4 one. Both - 3.5 and 4.4 - are engaging.

Thank you. Your description and the referenced quote from @Deezel177 answer my question well. I am going to enjoy the original cable for a while on principle. But the described change in sound from balanced - greater separation in the soundstage - appeals. I will get the balanced cable eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back