Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #466 of 889

I'd start at the beginning of this thread and see what's what TBH :) There's just too much good info on this for someone else to try and repeat it all.

There's a lot of good thing about this DAP indeed. But what I'm worried about are the bugs on its firmware especially Lotoo's support seems like not that active unlike its other competitors such as iBasso and Fiio.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #467 of 889

There's a lot of good thing about this DAP indeed. But what I'm worried about are the bugs on its firmware especially Lotoo's support seems like not that active unlike its other competitors such as iBasso and Fiio.

You'll get no argument from me, but I went through the FiiO reviews and overall, bugs and features of their range (except for the really top end) turned me off them along with some feedback from owners. I can't speak about the iBasso because I don't think it is sold in my neck of the woods. That left Lotoo and the most important thing I read (between the lines) is that even though there are bugs, even though they don't respond to emails, even though some features of the 5k might not meet everyone's desires, the vast majority of owners are happy. Happy with its size, its sound, its performance, its functions and its price.

Whichever you choose, it won't be the 'complete' package you are looking for, so think through what you want it to do and the one that gives you the most ticks with overall the majority of owners happy that fits within your budget, I'd choose that one :)

My budget for a 5k at the moment is used up and with it being winter, my main use of it means it's not essential for me to buy right now (so I'm not an owner yet). Hope you are able to make a decision.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #468 of 889
This is a great player. Short synopsis: fast UI, best scroll wheel ever, excellent sound quality, worked with 200GB microSD, fantastic transport, excellent paired with Chord Mojo, limited power, line-out underpowered, interface divisive, would love USB DAC and USB OTG functionality.

My full review is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/lotoo-paw-5000/reviews/14728

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #469 of 889
PAW5000 is one of my favorite DAPs. As you mentioned, portabe, minimalistic UI and fast boot up time. Above all PMEQ, love this feature.  I hope the next firmware update will add the functionality to skip the tracks in the screen off mode.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #470 of 889
  PAW5000 is one of my favorite DAPs. As you mentioned, portabe, minimalistic UI and fast boot up time. Above all PMEQ, love this feature.  I hope the next firmware update will add the functionality to skip the tracks in the screen off mode.

does holding vol up dan vol down can be used as next track and previous track?

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #472 of 889
I am no audiophile. I just got the PAW 5000. Paired it with my XiaoMi Pistons V2. Seems good enough already.
Now if I want a better pairing with ear buds/phones, is there something you could recommend? I went ahead to order XiaoMi Quantie. Also looking at Venture Electronics Zen, KZ ZS1 and Sennheiser Momentum in-ear.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #473 of 889
  I am no audiophile. I just got the PAW 5000. Paired it with my XiaoMi Pistons V2. Seems good enough already.
Now if I want a better pairing with ear buds/phones, is there something you could recommend? I went ahead to order XiaoMi Quantie. Also looking at Venture Electronics Zen, KZ ZS1 and Sennheiser Momentum in-ear.

I'm looking forward to the replies you get, especially with regards bluetooth (ref exercise/biking). Please also comeback with your review after a month or so if you can :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #474 of 889
Hello guys,

does anyone know what DAC chip is used in the PAW 5000?

Sounds very great.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #475 of 889
  Hello guys,

does anyone know what DAC chip is used in the PAW 5000?

Sounds very great.

In  post #403 of this same thread, there is this link. Maybe it's helpful -

http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100006128.02.htm

If you have not already, you can try the Parametric EQ setting posted by one of the members here post #1156. For me, it took this DAP to another level. 

Filter 1 - 33.3Hz/+4.0dB/BPF/1.0
Filter 2 - 55.0Hz/+6.5dB/BPF/1.0
Filter 3 - 1124.0Hz/+2.0dB/BPF/1.0
Filter 4 - 10000.0Hz/+8.4dB/BPF/1.0
Filter 5 - 10886.5Hz/+6.0dB/BPF/1.0

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #478 of 889
Used it for couple of days. Maybe I haven't heard better, still it sounds good enough for my needs already. I read on the inter-web how some people do not rate this DAP at all.  Like how I describe this to my friends, it is old school, no touchscreens and unconventionally straightforward.  Perhaps there is a distinction that can be made for higher end DAP and/or combination with DACs, etc.
Sharing of more Parametric EQ templates would be much appreciated!
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #480 of 889
I'm just dragging albums from J-River straight to the device. I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

What format do you apply to the file name of each song? Is it song name - album?, Album - Song name?  Song name- artist? Or do you use 00-Year-artist-album-song name (you don't need to place a dash or full stop between each)?

Doing what you're doing, and I've no idea this is right but I'm assuming it is after years of having to rename a lot of stuff, is that you're relying on tags, which this DAP doesn't use. It uses file names. So your collection is screwed up.

So just like a series of daily excel file or whatever, to get them into chronological order you must add the date such as 2016.01.01, 2016.01.02  as the very beggining, then it deals with A, then B etc.

The same goes for a music file. First choose the track number, then work out the way you want it to read as to whether you want the artist, the album, the year of release, the song title to be next, then next and so on - then stick with the 'format' that works for you. You have to physically change the file name to suit a system that works with a file name (not a tag).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back