Looking for some 'starter' audiophile headphones
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 49
If you could find a second hand HD 580 .........

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:
Thanks! I've found something similar online. People saying the SRH are pretty heavy and get uncomfortable after a while of using.
Right now leaning mostly toward the Senn HD598.

Sennheiser makes a lot of headphones. Are there any other quality headphones from them around the 100 euro mark, or do we then have the same problem all over again?

Heya,

If you can get the HD598 at that price, with the junk AD700 at the same price, please do yourself a massive favor and get the HD598. They're very comfortable, and they're a rather complete headphone.

Very best,

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:
Thanks! I've found something similar online. People saying the SRH are pretty heavy and get uncomfortable after a while of using.
Right now leaning mostly toward the Senn HD598.

Sennheiser makes a lot of headphones. Are there any other quality headphones from them around the 100 euro mark, or do we then have the same problem all over again?

i think the HD 598 would be a good choice if you're looking for neutral, unbiased sound.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 49
For me the HD 598's sound just way too warm. On the other hand they are indeed very comfortable on your head. This being said I think you should also consider AKG K550 phones. Very natural and balanced sound, excellent build quality and they are very comfortable. I also own a pair of Shure SRH440's and I have to say that these phones are not so comfortable and the sound quality is not the best (headband is the weakest link here). I use SHR440's on my electric drums and for that purpose they are pretty good (except that they start feeling heavy after about 1 hour of drumming).

I recently compared HD 598's, AKG K550's and AKG K701's side by side and found the 598's to be, like said above, too much on the warm side. The K701's on the other hand sounded too cold and analytical, but the K550's were almost a perfect combination of these both. I ended buying K550's (199 euros) and I'm very happy with my purchase.

You should find HD 598's (as well as many of these phones mentioned in this thread) in quite a many hifi stores, so go and start comparing what kind of sound you like. I wouldn't suggest to buy any headphones without first listening them yourself. And don't overlook the comfortability (is this even a real word :D) since it doesn't matter how good the sound quality is if the phones don't have a good fit with your head.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:
For me the HD 598's sound just way too warm. On the other hand they are indeed very comfortable on your head. This being said I think you should also consider AKG K550 phones. Very natural and balanced sound, excellent build quality and they are very comfortable. I also own a pair of Shure SRH440's and I have to say that these phones are not so comfortable and the sound quality is not the best (headband is the weakest link here). I use SHR440's on my electric drums and for that purpose they are pretty good (except that they start feeling heavy after about 1 hour of drumming).

I recently compared HD 598's, AKG K550's and AKG K701's side by side and found the 598's to be, like said above, too much on the warm side. The K701's on the other hand sounded too cold and analytical, but the K550's were almost a perfect combination of these both. I ended buying K550's (199 euros) and I'm very happy with my purchase.

You should find HD 598's (as well as many of these phones mentioned in this thread) in quite a many hifi stores, so go and start comparing what kind of sound you like. I wouldn't suggest to buy any headphones without first listening them yourself. And don't overlook the comfortability (is this even a real word :D) since it doesn't matter how good the sound quality is if the phones don't have a good fit with your head.

Thanks a lot for posting this. The AKG K550 are out of my pricerange though, I really would prefer to spent something around ~€100 euro.

Any one who has a great suggestion for €100 euro is much appreciated! Else, I think I'll just have to stretch my budget and will have to decide between the M50's and the HD598.

So, €100/$130:
- Comfortable
- Suitable for diffrent genres of music
- I would like to stick with mostly the 'known' brands

Any ideas? :) 

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 49
I'm going to throw the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro into the mix.

My first audiophile grade headphone, sounds great on everything I've tried. Good soundstage, good bass, great clarity. Brilliant for rock or electronica, drum & bass anything that requires drive - excellent soundstage too but it's surely one of the best headphones for movies. 

Can pick it up for £140 or less used from Amazon. Supremely comfortable too. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #22 of 49
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240MKII-STUDIO-STANDARD-55OHM/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349970142&sr=8-1&keywords=k240+mkii

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-271-MK-II/dp/B0016MOC28/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349970283&sr=8-3&keywords=k240+mkii

check out these two "old" headfones....lotsa reviews on amazon, i had a great time with the 271..v light on the head, big sounding..easily powered.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #23 of 49
Check out my post http://www.head-fi.org/t/628879/hfi-780-vs-ath-m50-vs-srh840-or-other-solved

Seriously, I'd go for the SRH840's... But that's already what I did ^^

Look at my last comment in my most, it's basicly a review of them.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:
I'm going to throw the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro into the mix.

My first audiophile grade headphone, sounds great on everything I've tried. Good soundstage, good bass, great clarity. Brilliant for rock or electronica, drum & bass anything that requires drive - excellent soundstage too but it's surely one of the best headphones for movies. 

Can pick it up for £140 or less used from Amazon. Supremely comfortable too. 

I just started a new thread to find good open / semi-open cans to accompany my AKG K550's and these BT's are looking pretty interesting. I see there are 3 versions of these available. You probably need a good amp for those 250 ohm and 600 ohm versions? I wonder if my FiiO E17 would be enough to drive these high ohm versions. Also interested whether the sound quality of these 250 and 600 monsters are noticeably better as compared to the 32 ohm version?

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:
Check out my post http://www.head-fi.org/t/628879/hfi-780-vs-ath-m50-vs-srh840-or-other-solved

Seriously, I'd go for the SRH840's... But that's already what I did ^^

Look at my last comment in my most, it's basicly a review of them.

Thanks for everyone commenting! Making mental notes of all of them.
I am now fairly certain that I won't go with the SRH440s or 840 simply because there are other options at their price and I see loads of people commenting on the comfort they provide. Besides that, they seem to be the perfect headset and everything I'm looking for. Just... Comfort means a lot. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #27 of 49
Well if you're considering HD598 you might as well consider  HD558. It's basically the cheap version of 598. They don't look so good, but with foam removal mod they sound almost exactly like 598.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #28 of 49
Or a creative aurvana live? Don't have any personal hands-on with these but been reading some good reviews about them (innerfidelity has some comparison to SHR440's and ATH-M50).

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

I just started a new thread to find good open / semi-open cans to accompany my AKG K550's and these BT's are looking pretty interesting. I see there are 3 versions of these available. You probably need a good amp for those 250 ohm and 600 ohm versions? I wonder if my FiiO E17 would be enough to drive these high ohm versions. Also interested whether the sound quality of these 250 and 600 monsters are noticeably better as compared to the 32 ohm version?

I wouldn't know just yet, but I have the Fiio E7/E9 setup and it seems to do well with that. Pretty good synergy.

I'm upgrading my rig in the coming months though going to get a Little Dot MK III, either Beyer DT 880 or DT 990 600 ohm, and I'm totally undecided on the DAC. But yeah....

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 49
I just noticed the serie HD598, HD558 and HD518. All 3 seem really really high quality headphones.
I've been looking around to find the diffrence between them but don't really find any beside looks and little minor sound diffrences.

The sennheiser 518 would cost me 89 euro's, the HD598 150. Kinda leaning towards the 518s now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back