Looking for some new headphones for less than $200
Jul 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tripshot15

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for some good headphones for a while now and am looking for some help. I'm not a huge sound snob, but I want a good pair. I've been doing a lot of research on this website and I have a few in mind. I was hoping you guys could help me make up  my mind. I want something that has good sound, works fine in an iphone (no amp needed), look good, portability, and doesn't have a lot of leakage (I don't want people next to me on a plane to have to listen to my music). These are what I have in mind... 

Phiaton MS 400 
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 380
Phiaton PS 500

I really like the Phiaton MS 400 and I've read really good things about the M50. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your help!

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 14
Sennheiser Hd25-1 ii

About the best you can get that can be portable and works well unamped.

Great: Build, sound, comfort, portable, unamped, closed so no leakage and good isolation.
Bad: Plastic body (but strong, one of the strongest cans there is), on ear (best for portable)

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 14
PS500, V-Moda V80, Klipsch Image ONE, JVC on ear with NC, Poineer MJ171 and Bose on ear.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 14
I am really between the Phiaton MS 400, because I like the way they look and the sound quality and bass is suppose to be good. Does anyone have an opinion on these? Are they comfortable and what is the leakage on them like. Secondly, I like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, but how are they size wise? I am afraid they might be too big for portable travel like flying and how is there leakage? Finally Zarim brought up two headphones that I am interested in the Klipsch Image one and the v-moda v80. The problem I have with the v80 is that I saw some review that they break very easily and have poor construction. Does anyone have any experience with this? Finally out of these which do you think will be best for me? Keep in mind that I would like something with as little leakage as possible, comfortable, stylish, and most importantly sound really good. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Hey, I also did a lot of research, since I bought my first headphones for more then 100€.

I decided to buy the ATH M50 and I can just tell you this: that was the best deal in my life.

I can only compare to the beats solo hd and studio, since my friends own them, but seriously, the ATH M50 outperform them in a way, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same line.

I am very satisfied with the ATH M50. They don't leak until you turn the volume up to 70-100 %, which would be dumb anyway's because at that level they replace my laptop speakers while outperforming them (if you turn the cans up).

Some people complain about the comfort, but after listening to their sound once, I would even wear them with hot metal spikes ramming into my head all the time (And I find them to be pretty comfortable, but I have curly hair, so I don't feel the pressure complained about at all).
The Sound quality is really astonishing right after delivery, and they get even better after burn-in. The sound is unbelievable detailed and rich. The first thing I did when I got them was listening to them 6 hours nonstop, resulting in getting late 3 hours for work the next day.

For 150 € I am pretty sure that is the best deal you can make! If you don't like the size, you should maybe go with other Headphones though.

I hope I could help and sorry for the crappy english, I am from germany.

Edit: If you decide to get the ATH M50, watch out, so you really get the M50 and not m50s (straight cable), since the cable is way too long.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Sennheiser Hd25-1 ii

About the best you can get that can be portable and works well unamped.

Great: Build, sound, comfort, portable, unamped, closed so no leakage and good isolation.
Bad: Plastic body (but strong, one of the strongest cans there is), on ear (best for portable)

this, the seller razor dog deals in ebay can sell it for around $150. at that price they beat the M50 in everything (but comfort maybe)

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

this, the seller razor dog deals in ebay can sell it for around $150. at that price they beat the M50 in everything (but comfort maybe)

Comfort isn't a problem since they last about an hour on ear and most people take a break after thirty minutes anyway

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 14
I am mainly interested in the Phiaton MS 400. I really like the way they look and they're suppose to sound good. Does anyone have these or listened to them and have an opinion on it?!?

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Consider the Denon AH-D1100.

Comfortable, portable, good isolation.

It would help to know your musical preferences. The denons sound very well wit electronic music, rock and hip-hop in general. I don't listen to classical, so I can't give you an opinion.I know that I'm very happy I got these.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Just giving you another option to increase your awareness, in an effort to enable you as a consumer to make the best choice.  I'm not necessarily saying they are the best option, because that's up to you to decide-- but I felt I should make you aware of the Senn PX 360, as it is a bit overlooked I feel.

My impressions can be found in a link located in my signature.

They're awesome travelers... the bag they pack into is tiny.. and yet they're still full sized circum-aural, which I find much more comfortable.  Isolation is nuts as well, and they weigh nothing.

I think they're worth your time..SUPER easy to drive, and built like a tank.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I am mainly interested in the Phiaton MS 400. I really like the way they look and they're suppose to sound good. Does anyone have these or listened to them and have an opinion on it?!?

I really liked the PS 500. The only drawback was the cable, it is long and quite microphonic, also there is no carry case. The MS 400 would be better for travel.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #13 of 14
See if you can find a pair of Denon AH-D2000's in the classified section.

I sold mine there for $200.

Great entry level cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back