Looking for fast, high bass impact headphone with good clarity for electronica
Feb 2, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #32 of 34
I never got how people complain about the highs of the Beyer dt880 but then suggest Ultrasone? I had the dt880 pro 250ohm and never had issues with the highs. I had to sell it when I needed money and decided to try the Ultrasone pro 750 and while they had a bit more bass impact than the dt880, everything else was worse. It was thinner and colder with much more peaks and harshness in the upper mids/treble. Almost Grado like but different tuning. The Beyer was so smooth in comparison. The only issue I ever had was wishing for just a tiny bit more bass and the mids a liitle bit recessed or just lacking in meat, maybe a tube amp would have helped.

Also, for anyone complaining about the highs of the dt990 vs dt880; they are essentially the same headphone but the dt880 has a filter on the magnet to slightly attenuate the lows and a cloth covering the driver under the ear pads to attenuate the high frequency peak. You can literally turn a dt880 into a 990 in 5 min just by removing those two things. There *might be other differences I'm not aware of but there used to be modding threads showing both taken apart and I tried it on my dt880. I ended up removing the magnet filter to increase bass but kept the cloth piece as it was a bit harsh without it. Also you can experiment with cloth pieces to double up and reduce highs even more or buy a 2nd set of ear pads that come with it.

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #33 of 34
lol... so old, this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back