Looking for a new IEM >$150
Jun 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Dayman

New Head-Fier
I am in the market of purchasing a new IEM, but am having a hard time on deciding. I have been reading reviews for a little over a week now, and still can't decide. I currently have the Klipsch S4i and the AKG K350. In a recent post, I had stated I liked the S4i a little better, but after more thought, it was the comfort of the S4i that I liked better, the sound of the AKG is a little clearer to me (less bass mud).

I am currently considering either the ADDIEM or the RE-Zero. I am interested in a more precise listening experience, rather than the bass-heavy listening I have done with the S4i. Not that the S4i is a bad headphone, it is getting great reviews and sounds decent, just a little too much bass for me.

I listen to all types of music, but mainly that of the classic rock genre, eg., I repurchased my favorite Pink Floyd remasters a couple weeks ago - I am a sucker for their Animals album.

My sources are an iPod Nano 5th gen, a Sansa Clip Zip, a laptop with a decent soundcard (not the best, but definitely not the worst), and am currently awaiting a Fiio e11. The majority of songs I have are 256 kbps VBR AAC, with a few Apple Lossless (the Pink Floyd  I repurchased) and a few mix-bag mp3s with the lowest being 128 kbps and the highest 320 kbps. (Of course some of these files have been converted from mp3 to aac and sound like crap, didn't know I shouldn't have done that, but the damage has been done years ago and I have no way of re-ripping the CDs as I had sold them). I also have an iPhone 4s, but do not plan on loading that up with music so much, as I have two other players that get the job done.

So between the Apple Dual Driver In Ears, or the RE-Zero (have also thought about the RE0 and the RE262), what would be the better choice for my setup? Or for that matter, what IEM is recommended for less than $150, as that is the most my budget will let me spend? The Apple controls are a convenience, not a must.

Thanks

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 33
I like my Apple In Ear Monitors... But they are not my favorite goto set.

I have been playing with the Etymotic MC5s lately.

Under 150, and with a good burn in, good seal, are very nice.

Good Luck, Jim

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 33
MC5s are pretty good, but HF5s are noticeably better- very detailed and very uncolored. They're right at the $150 price point list, and can sometimes be found on sale on Amazon for considerably less (be sure, though, that the listing says the item is sold and shipped by Amazon, because other sellers are usually not authorized by Etymotic, which will void your warranty.)

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:
MC5s are pretty good, but HF5s are noticeably better- very detailed and very uncolored. They're right at the $150 price point list, and can sometimes be found on sale on Amazon for considerably less (be sure, though, that the listing says the item is sold and shipped by Amazon, because other sellers are usually not authorized by Etymotic, which will void your warranty.)

Agreed...

Jim

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 33
Just thought i would quickly point out that the RE262 will need an amp.

I think if you wanna start of a bit cheaper then the GR06 is not a bad way to go but the HF5s are very nice as said above!

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 33
I was considering the HF5 as well, but I would most likely get replacement tips for them. I guess I may have been getting caught up in the "dual driver = better" mode of thinking. Are the HF5 able to hold their own with the single BA driver?

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 33
Driver number means nothing. It's how they use them!

I would say the UE700s are better than any single driver I have had though so u will take back HF5 and say the UE700 instead. If you get one though make sure it's the new Logitech version.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 33
Okay, cool. I have read a lot of reviews in joker's 242 iem review. As far as Etymotics go, it seems the HF5 sound a little better, but the MC5 are a little more durable - is that a safe assumption to make? I take rather good care (or at least I like to think I do) of my headphones, and the set I am purchasing will be more of a stay-at-home set. Maybe one of these days in the future I will pick up the ADDIEM as my replacement on-the-go pair, right now I am using the AKG (and a set of old iFrogz Pollution I have had for years, yikes, but hey - they are more comfortable than the stock iBuds) and the S4i is more of my at-home set for the moment.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 33
Check out my HF5 vs Dunu I 3C-S, the etymotic are colder and drier sounding, whereas the Dunu are more natural and a slight bit warm sounding with just as good detail.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 33
You might want to take a look at the Amazon reviews on the UE700. Many complaints about the durability of the cord. No Logitech UE model seems to have a good reputation for build quality, from what I see.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 33
I want to say thanks for everyone's posts! Looking at the title, I guess I used the wrong sign - should be less than $150 (<)...has been awhile since I have had to use those symbols. Anyways, it seems like it is coming down to the UE700 vs the HF5. I am looking for a pretty transparent sound from the headphones, one that leaves less of its own signature. I would like to hear the record as close as I can to how it was recorded, and I can always adjust an EQ (a little bit anyways) to get a different sound from them. Between the UE700 and the HF5, which would be the most clearer, neutral (flat EQ) sounding of the two?

Thanks again!

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 33
Yes, HF5 would suite you best. Buy mine! Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back