Looking for < $200.00 headphones for Rock, Rap, an Heavy Metal.
Apr 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

csf101

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I hate to honestly make a thread for this, but I do need a little help with this. I'm looking for a good pair of Headphones for less then $200 for Rock, Heavy Metal, and a little Rap maybe? I need a new pair because my Skullcandy Hesh just recently stopped working on me, and I'm planning on getting a good Denon Amp from a friend shortly. Anyway, I'm planning on using this mainly for home and occasionally for public. I want to use them on my PC and my phone unamped, and my Amp I'm getting (although I'll be using them primarily unamped 90% of the time). I'm 15, and I honestly don't want to waste my money. :wink: I tried asking my friends, but they all are recommending Beats LOL so yeah anyway from asking around here are the headphones that have came up:

q40's
Ultrasone 580's.
HD-25

That's really it so far. .-. Do any of those stand out by any chance?

Once again, thanks for any suggestions. :D

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 18
The HD 25's might be a little bit flat for you. The V-moda m80s would be great to suit your needs, being that they have a proper amount of bass for your genres of music. The Grado SR-60i are great for rock and metal, they cost around $80 (Cheaper on amazon). You could spend the extra money on an amp or DAC. The Beyerdynamic DT770 might be a good choice (You will have to amp these though).

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 18
How important is portability? You can snag a pair of denon d2000's for about your budget and they will rock your socks off...IMO. Don't need an amp but are not portable.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 18
I would say the dt770(you dont need a amp with the 80 ohm version), the audio technica ath m50s would be my pick #1 because you cant go wrong with them and they just came out with 2 new colors(white and silver special edition) and they are good for most types of music, the hd25s great also if you want on ear over over ear. EDIT I just remembered that j&r is selling the d2000 for $215, thats also a great option but the m50s would be more portable because they fold, and the ear cups turn so they can be flat on your chest and that means they wont get in the way.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the replies. :) Looking at the Crossfades right now. :)

Amazon apparently doesn't have the DT770 80 available, which sort of sucks. :frowning2:

How important is portability?

I probably will need something somewhat portable. Probably will use them while shooting Basketball/ while at the beach.

May 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 18
I think that the HD 25 are a great set for the types of music you listen to, but you might find some discomfort in the beginning as the headband clamps a little bit. Over time, it will loosen.

I love my pair for portable use. Your friends, however, may find their "professional" look to be "uncool". If you don't care, then I would say that they are a good candidate.

May 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Grado sr60i. Hands down for rock/metal/acoustic. Don't need an amp. Sound great through iPod jack, but amps make them open up more.

I don't think the sr60s will be ideal for rap though, although they are ideal for rock/metal/acoustic. Grado's really don't have that sub bass that rap often needs. Although a pair of L-cush pads and the sock mod quickly fixes that issue.

I'd say the V Moda M-80 and HD-25II's would be your ideal headphones to focus on.

May 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Dang, I'm stuck now lol. They both have awesome reviews everywhere I look. So what do you guys think would be better for the genres I mentioned? The M80's or HD25 ii's?

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 18
I'd say the Ultrasones HFI series are very good. They are fairly heavy in terms of weight, but they have great bass and wide soundstage. Personally I do not really like the HD-25 because I can never get a good fit, so I cannot listen to the SQ at its supposed best. If you don't mind having a slightly heavy cans, go for the HFI-580.

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I'd say the Ultrasones HFI series are very good. They are fairly heavy in terms of weight, but they have great bass and wide soundstage. Personally I do not really like the HD-25 because I can never get a good fit, so I cannot listen to the SQ at its supposed best. If you don't mind having a slightly heavy cans, go for the HFI-580.

I personally think that Ultrasone is a junk brand. To be fair, I've only heard the 580 and 780, but I thought both sounded really poor for the price. They were just treble-heavy with mediocre detail retrieval (if you equalize the treble).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back