Loki Mini Impressions
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #346 of 1,011
Hello everyone , I noticed unbelievable hiss when I connect the loki to and amp and turn the amp to more than 3/4 of its volume, I tried many different cables, and turned off wifi and bluetooth nearby

i tired loki on 2 amps the same thing, before I did not notice this as I never turned the amp more than half volume, but I wanted to test out how clean the sound connection is and boy the hiss and static is unbelievable

i was wondering what are your findings

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #347 of 1,011
So coming back to the topic of the Loki :)

In watching the company over the last few years, it is not unreasonable to predict that were Schiit to choose to add another tone control unit in a larger form factor, they would take advantage of the increased real estate to add more features or upgrade the quality of the electronics, or both, so that they could target a different price point, say around the $300 mark. However what I think i'd really like would be the exact same electronics just in the larger form factor, realizing they's have to redesign the board to accommodate the increased spacing from the use of larger dials.

Call me fussy, but I've been able to establish my kit on a small side table next to an armchair in my living room, I've bundled all the power or audio cables in a wire loom, so the whole thing looks tidy and aesthetically unobtrusive; stacking a mini Loki on top of this or on the side would look far more obtrusive in my mind than a third unit, which would look more like it belongs in the stack.

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see!

Would you mind posting a picture of your WIRE LOOM. I need help with tidying up my wires. Thanks!!

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #349 of 1,011
Feb 26, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #350 of 1,011
Hello everyone , I noticed unbelievable hiss when I connect the loki to and amp and turn the amp to more than 3/4 of its volume, I tried many different cables, and turned off wifi and bluetooth nearby

i tired loki on 2 amps the same thing, before I did not notice this as I never turned the amp more than half volume, but I wanted to test out how clean the sound connection is and boy the hiss and static is unbelievable

I have not found any noise issues with the Loki in my setup, have muted/paused the music and turned up volume to full and back down with no noise heard at all. This is from a Gustard X20U DAC to Loki to STAX SRM-323S driver unit and simultaneously output to Gustard H10 amp.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #351 of 1,011
I have not found any noise issues with the Loki in my setup, have muted/paused the music and turned up volume to full and back down with no noise heard at all. This is from a Gustard X20U DAC to Loki to STAX SRM-323S driver unit and simultaneously output to Gustard H10 amp.

that is strange, I did

computer--mojo-loki- and a cavali amp --- lcdx

also did

computer--- mojo--- alo audio rx mk3---- lcd x

Just connecting the loki to the amps even with out the mojo or computer connected there is hum and noise at 3/4 of the volume on both amps

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #352 of 1,011

That would be FAR OUTSIDE anything I've experienced, and I've had Loki for a while now. Don't think my M3's ever been north of 75% until just now, but tested it and I get no static/hiss... If I were you, I'd be e-mailing the nice folks at Schiit to see what's up, or maybe what's NOT up...

OK, just reduced the output on my squeezebox so I didn't blow anything up, including my ears. Tested Loki with both my Magni 3 and Vali 2, both from volume 0 to 100%, no hiss, no static... I'd e-mail.

EDIT: I'm squeezebox SPDIF Coax out to Bifrost 4490/Loki//Sys/M3 or Vali2

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #353 of 1,011
that is strange, I did

computer--mojo-loki- and a cavali amp --- lcdx

also did

computer--- mojo--- alo audio rx mk3---- lcd x

Just connecting the loki to the amps even with out the mojo or computer connected there is hum and noise at 3/4 of the volume on both amps

You may have a ground loop. Try plugging the Loki into a different powerstrip and if possible an entirely different circuit. Maybe for just for this test, use an extension cord to do that.

If that doesn't fix it, there may be something wrong with the Loki. If it does fix it, you don't necessarily have to avoid the same powerstrip because you could also insert a grounding line filter like the Hum X.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #354 of 1,011
You may have a ground loop. Try plugging the Loki into a different powerstrip and if possible an entirely different circuit. Maybe for just for this test, use an extension cord to do that.

If that doesn't fix it, there may be something wrong with the Loki. If it does fix it, you don't necessarily have to avoid the same powerstrip because you could also insert a grounding line filter like the Hum X.

thanks apparently it was the power outlet, tried on another one and all is good again

thanks all for the help

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #356 of 1,011
So coming back to the topic of the Loki :)

In watching the company over the last few years, it is not unreasonable to predict that were Schiit to choose to add another tone control unit in a larger form factor, they would take advantage of the increased real estate to add more features or upgrade the quality of the electronics, or both, so that they could target a different price point, say around the $300 mark. However what I think i'd really like would be the exact same electronics just in the larger form factor, realizing they's have to redesign the board to accommodate the increased spacing from the use of larger dials.

Call me fussy, but I've been able to establish my kit on a small side table next to an armchair in my living room, I've bundled all the power or audio cables in a wire loom, so the whole thing looks tidy and aesthetically unobtrusive; stacking a mini Loki on top of this or on the side would look far more obtrusive in my mind than a third unit, which would look more like it belongs in the stack.

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see!

Given Schiit's design emphasis on balanced devises at the very least any larger, more sophisticated offering, even if still only a 4 band devise, should offer balanced in/out along with SE. That's one of the reasons I use my Loki only with my Jot.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #357 of 1,011
Would you mind posting a picture of your WIRE LOOM. I need help with tidying up my wires. Thanks!!

here's a few viewpoints, the wiring loom is nothing special and I am sure there are better variants.

IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1728.jpg

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #358 of 1,011
Got in a used very good condition pair of STAX SR-L300 this evening and listening to them on my new electrostat setup with the Loki... the BASS is INSANE with that 20Hz knob at about 2:30 and the 400Hz dial back to about 11:30... extremely detailed, insanely quick and extending with MASSIVE PUNCH! Do I even need my modded TH-X00PH any more?!?! YES, of course...but dang that bass from the L300 is not fooling around! Bypass the Loki and its not the same... but still extremely good bass.

My new L300 and my ESP950...
i-M4pZxFZ.jpg

The Electrostat setup (work in progress) - Laptop via USB into Gustard X20U DAC -> Schiit Loki -> NAD C275BEE stereo amp -> Mjolnir Audio reworked and modded STAX SRD-7 transformer/energizer -> electrostats:
i-pXTLn7k.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back