Loki Mini Impressions
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #361 of 1,011
I'm thinking about buying a Loki. Is there any other hardware EQ/Tone Control device in this price range or more that I should consider?

I've been interested in a Loki myself. Without doing a survey of EQ boxes out there, I can tell you this:
  • We'll exclude for the moment, all those automotive sound system EQ boxes (12V) that are the closest thing out there to the tiny form factor of the Loki
  • All hardware EQ that I'm aware tend to be full-size, either 1/2 or 1 full rackmount space (ie, 9"-17" wide, with depth another foot or so). In other words, gigantic & space-hogging compared to the Loki
  • Of those boxes, the great majority are used in sound studios (ie, pro equipment)--these tend to be very complex, have up to 30 bands/multiple channels of EQ, and either dirt cheap (ie, suspect sonics) or extremely expensive (ie, not suspect sonics, but cost $1000s)
  • I'm not aware of anything else w/4 bands of EQ this small
  • Just as important, I auditioned the Loki at some length. Thanks to its in-circuit vs out-of-circuit switch, you can very easily switch it in and out of the circuit to hear what, if anything, it's doing to the sound. With all 4 rotary pots centered (= 0 EQ), I couldn't hear a thing, apart from a tiny bump in volume when it's in the circuit. So it's extremely transparent.
  • And when I set one or more bands higher or lower (by turning each band's pot clockwise or counterclockwise), the changes I heard were rather subtle, not dramatic or cartoonish.
Net/net: If there's something else like the Loki in size & design, let alone transparency, let alone inexpensive cost--I've never heard of it.

This is why a number of Head-Fi'ers are waiting eagerly to see if Schitt ever offers a bigger/badder UBERLoki (ie, physically larger, more bands of EQ).

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #362 of 1,011
I'm thinking about buying a Loki. Is there any other hardware EQ/Tone Control device in this price range or more that I should consider?

I am a novice at this, but based on reading this and other fora as well as my own limited experience with their products, I think the most likely answer you are going to get is "no."

That is to say, the liklihood of finding as good a quality product at this price point and from a company that is as dedicated to and as passionate about their entire product line, is pretty darn low! :)

(I do not own a Loki, but do use other products from Schiit Audio)

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #365 of 1,011
Yes, easy decision! Go for it, @quimbo Before the Loki Mini was announced, I looked desperately for something that met the criteria @Pharmaboy laid out above. Finding nothing, I eventually bought new desktop speakers instead. Then it appeared. Sigh. But I bought it anyway, use it regularly on cans and speakers in new ways, and love it all the same.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #367 of 1,011
Thanks, easy decision now. I wanted to check before I made the purchase.
It’s on backorder... popular! Post your thought after you’ve messed around with it, eh.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #368 of 1,011
I am this close to pulling the trigger on this. I may also go for the slick looking acrylic rack someone posted a few pages back. Makes a tidy little set-up with my M3 on the table.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #369 of 1,011
That is my setup. The 2 racks are my work setup wyrd - modi 2 uber - loki mini - magni 3 . Get so many comments every time someone stops in my office. I also rest a 4 TB passport on the top during the day.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #371 of 1,011
I am a novice at this, but based on reading this and other fora as well as my own limited experience with their products, I think the most likely answer you are going to get is "no."

That is to say, the liklihood of finding as good a quality product at this price point and from a company that is as dedicated to and as passionate about their entire product line, is pretty darn low! :)

(I do not own a Loki, but do use other products from Schiit Audio)

You might consider this similar product:
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/187/subjective3-equalizer/

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #372 of 1,011
Got in a used very good condition pair of STAX SR-L300 this evening and listening to them on my new electrostat setup with the Loki... the BASS is INSANE with that 20Hz knob at about 2:30 and the 400Hz dial back to about 11:30... extremely detailed, insanely quick and extending with MASSIVE PUNCH! Do I even need my modded TH-X00PH any more?!?! YES, of course...but dang that bass from the L300 is not fooling around! Bypass the Loki and its not the same... but still extremely good bass.

My new L300 and my ESP950...
i-M4pZxFZ.jpg

The Electrostat setup (work in progress) - Laptop via USB into Gustard X20U DAC -> Schiit Loki -> NAD C275BEE stereo amp -> Mjolnir Audio reworked and modded STAX SRD-7 transformer/energizer -> electrostats:
i-pXTLn7k.jpg
How is the Loki with the ESP-950 stars? I have had my 950 phones forever and WOULD be curious as to how well they work together

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #373 of 1,011
98F9D963-DA02-4084-885A-D7309A4360FB.jpeg
I am this close to pulling the trigger on this. I may also go for the slick looking acrylic rack someone posted a few pages back. Makes a tidy little set-up with my M3 on the table.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #375 of 1,011
How is the Loki with the ESP-950 stars? I have had my 950 phones forever and WOULD be curious as to how well they work together

I use it to tweak the low end with the 20Hz and 400Hz knobs, find the ESP950 low end a little lacking stock for my taste. Works well, adds enough to reinforce the low end and make it more natural sounding with drums and other percussion instruments and guitars and piano. No issues bumping the 20Hz EQ up...clean sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back