Loki Mini Impressions
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #376 of 1,011
Man I so want that rack also. But don't you have to give questionable information to AliExpress to sign up? I have to ask as I'm an old privacy freak. LOL
Take a look on amazon, search “topping shelf” - I think size woud work...

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #377 of 1,011
I've been interested in a Loki myself. Without doing a survey of EQ boxes out there, I can tell you this:
  • We'll exclude for the moment, all those automotive sound system EQ boxes (12V) that are the closest thing out there to the tiny form factor of the Loki
  • All hardware EQ that I'm aware tend to be full-size, either 1/2 or 1 full rackmount space (ie, 9"-17" wide, with depth another foot or so). In other words, gigantic & space-hogging compared to the Loki
  • Of those boxes, the great majority are used in sound studios (ie, pro equipment)--these tend to be very complex, have up to 30 bands/multiple channels of EQ, and either dirt cheap (ie, suspect sonics) or extremely expensive (ie, not suspect sonics, but cost $1000s)
  • I'm not aware of anything else w/4 bands of EQ this small
  • Just as important, I auditioned the Loki at some length. Thanks to its in-circuit vs out-of-circuit switch, you can very easily switch it in and out of the circuit to hear what, if anything, it's doing to the sound. With all 4 rotary pots centered (= 0 EQ), I couldn't hear a thing, apart from a tiny bump in volume when it's in the circuit. So it's extremely transparent.
  • And when I set one or more bands higher or lower (by turning each band's pot clockwise or counterclockwise), the changes I heard were rather subtle, not dramatic or cartoonish.
Net/net: If there's something else like the Loki in size & design, let alone transparency, let alone inexpensive cost--I've never heard of it.

This is why a number of Head-Fi'ers are waiting eagerly to see if Schitt ever offers a bigger/badder UBERLoki (ie, physically larger, more bands of EQ).
This author’s post should be cross-posted on Schiit’s blog... it’s the clearest explanation yet about analog equalizers...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1994#post-14095203
...saved me wasting money on an amazon dot ca creation!

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #380 of 1,011
Convenience.

If you're running a linear phase EQ plugin like EQulibrium you still need a host program, so you have that annoyance. Additionally, linear phase consumes system resources and you have latency, so lip sync in games and movies can be an issue. Then there's SonarWorks, which has the ability to run in Linear Phase or minimum latency mode, which is nice. However, if you want to change your EQ a lot, it's irritating to have to go back into the app to switch it on or off, or modify the EQ curve. With Loki, the physical device is always right there. You flip a switch to engage or disengage EQ, and you can mess with the four bands whenever you want, no matter what you're doing on the computer, and the quality is always good.

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #381 of 1,011
What would be the advantage of using the loki over eq software? Say if your only using the loki for a desktop setup with headphones.
No DSP. No digital filtering. No unnatural-sounding pre-ringing.

Of course this is moot if you are using a DAC that does all that anyway. That's why I use iFi Audio DACs in 'Bit Perfect' (NOS) mode.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #382 of 1,011
Convenience.

If you're running a linear phase EQ plugin like EQulibrium you still need a host program, so you have that annoyance. Additionally, linear phase consumes system resources and you have latency, so lip sync in games and movies can be an issue. Then there's SonarWorks, which has the ability to run in Linear Phase or minimum latency mode, which is nice. However, if you want to change your EQ a lot, it's irritating to have to go back into the app to switch it on or off, or modify the EQ curve. With Loki, the physical device is always right there. You flip a switch to engage or disengage EQ, and you can mess with the four bands whenever you want, no matter what you're doing on the computer, and the quality is always good.
The above response is what I’d tell many people. My OTHER reason... I love all the physical little knobs to tinker with. It matches my ModiMB & Magni3.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #383 of 1,011
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #384 of 1,011
Have you seen Mike Moffat's post on this topic? He is one of the co-founders of Schiit Audio.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-322#post-13748153

Thanks for reposting this. Love the way Moffat spins his take. I am very close to getting one. Seems like some fun for a cheap price. Just like the M3, even it does not meet your total expectation, still fun for less than a kidney that some vendors seem to ask for. Sorry, been reading some audiopihle magazines and it's hard to buy into the sky high costs for some equipment. It's nice to see some modest fun for more than reasonable pricing.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #385 of 1,011
Loki must be selling well. I ordered a month ago and they were sold out. So waiting for mine. Connecting cables all ready to hook it up.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #387 of 1,011
I went from a “starters kit” to my almost completed endgame setup (hopefully this friday) and my Loki has always been there. I wish tho that I had bought his brother (Loki DSD) when I had the chance... That one is hard to get :ksc75smile:

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #388 of 1,011
I'm glad I got mine when I did. Love it.
...pretty impressive back-order. Noticed how the delivery dates on the site were made in smaller font, under the ORDER button? :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #389 of 1,011
Just received my Loki today. As a mild basshead I'm pretty blown away.

I've only listened with my HE-400i so far, which I exclusively use for gaming and don't enjoy for my music (mostly EDM). I've been able to dial out the harshness from the Magni + HE-400i combo and bring bass quantity beyond what my Ultrasone Pro 900 can deliver...while maintaining the vocals and clarity of the HE-400i.

I think this changes what I'll look for in future headphones as my mild basshead preference no longer needs to override everything and I can focus on more qualitative things like impact, soundstage, resolution, and comfort. That said, still not sure I see a clear upgrade path past my TH-X00 PH.

Really excited to combine it with my M1060C and TH-X00 PH in the coming days. Not sure I have a use for my DT990 Pros now that I have a bassy, mellowed HE-400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back