Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #29,896 of 149,944
It's good to see more people seeing how awesome Loki really is. I still say it was the single best thing I added to my system. Even the upgrades from Modi 2 Uber to Modi Multibit to Bifrost Multibit to Bifrost Multibit with gen 5 pales in comparison to the immediate awesome Loki brought to my system. It really is that good in my opinion.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #29,897 of 149,944
and Steve Guttenberg just put up a rave review of the Loki on his YouTube site:

Hopefully he did not ask for a bro deal on one, LOL!

But yes, I used to use an equalizer all the time in my car back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Not so much now but that is because I use the one built into my DAP or Phone. I do not use one at home.
Yet. :ksc75smile:

I think EQs most definitely have a place but some times it just depends on whether or not we can move our ego out of the way to make a bit more room. Please note that I said, "we".

This is what cracks me up about foo-foo like MQA (Moronic Quisling Authentified). The same turdling typists that fawn over MQA will disparage an equalizer with their next fetid breath. FTN. Nothing we buy will be "listened to as the fArtieest intended". Why? Because we listen to it as it suits our wants and needs. An EQ may not make sense for every body but that is not it's purpose. It just has to make sense for the person who wanted it, bought it and uses it.

Now add some PLL (Pretty Little Lights) to the Loki's knobs and it will seem like the 80s all over again.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #29,898 of 149,944
Now add some PLL (Pretty Little Lights) to the Loki's knobs and it will seem like the 80s all over again.

You could probably save us several hundred posts if you just tell us what colour PLLs you want right up front, Toad. :)

JC

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #29,899 of 149,944
You could probably save us several hundred posts if you just tell us what colour PLLs you want right up front, Toad. :)

JC

Red lights, for sure. Red is the greatest of all LED colors.

I don't mind the white lights on my schiit, it's not too bright to me, since I use them in my home office with a lamp and computer monitors on. If they were red that would be cool, but for now they match the white LEDs on my Dell ultrasharps.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #29,900 of 149,944
I don't mind the white lights on my schiit...

Maybe there's a variation in the LED intensities, but the LEDs on my Magni 3, Mimby, and EITR were blinding compared to my Ultrasharp monitor power LED. Tamed them a bit with the below and now they are very close to equal intensity. Given that my rig is in my bedroom, it is a welcomed improvement.

Lightdims in sliver (perfect match for the aluminum Schiit stack gear)

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B009WT7PYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #29,901 of 149,944
Maybe there's a variation in the LED intensities, but the LEDs on my Magni 3, Mimby, and EITR were blinding compared to my Ultrasharp monitor power LED. Tamed them a bit with the below and now they are very close to equal intensity. Given that my rig is in my bedroom, it is a welcome improvement.

Lightdims in sliver (perfect match for the aluminum Schiit stack gear)

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B009WT7PYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah there is definitely a massive disparity in brightness between the Schiit gear and my monitors leds but the monitors themselves are much brighter, and since I'm never in this room in the dark, they are just fine for me.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #29,902 of 149,944
Laphroaig has made me sober for the last 18 years. One day at a time. :ksc75smile:
The peatiest of the peaty. Love my Highland Park Sigurd. Still dying to find out what the new Schiit is. Driving me to drink...

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #29,903 of 149,944
So you all think you can make fun of me huh?
Well let me tell you...
When the aliens come to occupy this planet, I will get the position of Planet Chief Surgeon.
Contracts are already signed.
Now lets see who's making fun on whom then.
Constanza would be head nurse?

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #29,904 of 149,944
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #29,905 of 149,944
[Long time lurker/first time poster. I hope it's OK to post links here. I still need moderator approval, so go ahead and delete the links if you must, but please leave the names so thy could still be searched on the web. I have no affiliation with hifiberry other than being a satisfied repeat customer.]

Hifiberry Digi+ Pro (https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi-pro/) provides isolated coaxial S/PDIF out and is perfect for feeding a modi multibit.

There's also the Hifiberry DAC+ Pro (https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-pro/) which is RCA line out, perfect for feeding a magni

I highly recommend their steel cases for the Raspberry Pi + audio boards. They're a little tricky to assemble, but are nearly indestructible, and make a nice mechanical and electromagnetic shield for the Pi.

I also second the recommendation for Rune Audio, Easy to set up, easy to use, good online support/forums, actively developed, and I think it looks pretty too. It can be controlled by anything with a web browser (phone, tablet), or even a touch screen.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Tidal/Spotify so I can't comment on those, but Rune can also function as a uPnP/DLNA endpoint renderer, which opens up the option of running the streaming services from a phone or PC and then render on the PI feeding your audio stack.
Not a roon guy myself, but i do run squeezeboxes from a dedicated music server running on an Intel Stick (one of the coolest things ever). This into my squeezebox pi, in the aforementioned metal case (as @ScottKramer said, bulletproof), with the HifiBerry DigiPro board w/its digital spdif out to my Schiit. Squeezebox server plays any format I throw at it, and its dbms has no limit on track count, so I’m sticking with it for the moment. But the raspberry pi is both brilliant AND inexpensive (and outside of Schiit stuff, how often can you say that?).

On another OT note, just had cables delivered from Periapt in Wichita for my HD598 and HD6XX, and I’m REALLY pleased. They deliver clearer sound than anything else I’ve heard with those cans, and I’m no beleiver in gold-plated unobtanium. But there were bkground studio sounds in the beginning of a Brandi Carlile track that I’ve never heard before... And bespoke cables for 50ish US? Who knew?

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #29,908 of 149,944
Not a roon guy myself, but i do run squeezeboxes from a dedicated music server running on an Intel Stick (one of the coolest things ever). This into my squeezebox pi, in the aforementioned metal case (as @ScottKramer said, bulletproof), with the HifiBerry DigiPro board w/its digital spdif out to my Schiit. Squeezebox server plays any format I throw at it, and its dbms has no limit on track count, so I’m sticking with it for the moment. But the raspberry pi is both brilliant AND inexpensive (and outside of Schiit stuff, how often can you say that?).

On another OT note, just had cables delivered from Periapt in Wichita for my HD598 and HD6XX, and I’m REALLY pleased. They deliver clearer sound than anything else I’ve heard with those cans, and I’m no beleiver in gold-plated unobtanium. But there were bkground studio sounds in the beginning of a Brandi Carlile track that I’ve never heard before... And bespoke cables for 50ish US? Who knew?

Squeezebox is sweet!

Now then, on to the cables. Do the cables look bitchin"? No, really. For me a cable is a cable. It either carries the signal or it does not. But looks? Ahhhh...That is where subjectivity reigns supreme because everyone understands that looks matter. Everyone knows that saying they do not is merely trying to look "fair". I am a shallow individual I know, but for me in the real world where I shop for stuff, more often than not looks are important. If stuff is ugly, I do not want it. If I want ugly I will look in a mirror.

So hey. In your opinion (and in truth that is the most important one where the buyer is concerned) do the cables in question look bitchin' to you? :smile_phones:

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #29,909 of 149,944
Never mind. I went to their site and have decided they look bitchin'. As I read through some of their thoughts, I saw some thing where they classify their product as "MidFi". They are doing a disservice if that is what they think. No...Wait! No one thinks that way. They may "feeeeeeel" that way but feelings are subject to emotions and emotions are subject to foo-foo of the worst (not first) order.

So given your (JamminVMI) endorsement I would say their products are not MidFi but HiFi. Schiit ain't "MidFi", it is definitely High Fidelity (great film, by the way). Call it SchiitFi.

I joined their email list and down the Long and Winding Road (great song, by the way) will doubt less buy some cables from them.
SchiitFi does read nice. To me.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #29,910 of 149,944
Woody Widars

download.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back