Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #29,927 of 148,621
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #29,928 of 148,621
I suppose because you think it "looks bitchin" is one of the few legitimate reasons to use an after-market power cord.
Certainly can't blame someone for tinkering with the optics of their system, including cables, yes.

An exception may be cables with built-in LEDs for an "energy flow" indication. Sure looks cool, but can't help with noise reduction.

I guess the least controversial reason is length, i.e. reduce it where possible (Yggy and Jot on desk), or increase it where necessary (Subwoofer).

Very nice!

Are those yours?

Edit: Never mind, the caffeine finally kicked in and I found the link!

Hehe, I'm not quite there yet :) Just thought they looked pretty unique. Though something about a flammable material (even if it just looks like wood) right on a hot power amp makes me feel nervous. I do like the slightly more polished look of the heatsinks (compared to Vidar), but not the 20x price increase (when new) :astonished:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #29,929 of 148,621
Squeezebox is sweet!

Now then, on to the cables. Do the cables look bitchin"? No, really. For me a cable is a cable. It either carries the signal or it does not. But looks? Ahhhh...That is where subjectivity reigns supreme because everyone understands that looks matter. Everyone knows that saying they do not is merely trying to look "fair". I am a shallow individual I know, but for me in the real world where I shop for stuff, more often than not looks are important. If stuff is ugly, I do not want it. If I want ugly I will look in a mirror.

So hey. In your opinion (and in truth that is the most important one where the buyer is concerned) do the cables in question look bitchin' to you? :smile_phones:

Oddly, they do, and custom length was what got me there first.. durable and no microphonics, which bugs me more than anything else. I needed a long cable since my 6XXs are arriving with a short one...

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #29,930 of 148,621
Just turn it around. Voila! The power switch is now also front-mounted and the LED isn't as bright. Magic!

JC

You aren't restricted to just two sides, front or back. I have a piece of kit from another company that sits under my monitor sideways. This way I have access to front and back, wouldn't see the LED if it were Schiit, and with connections coming in from left and right they just plug straight in. Until designers start putting all the switches, knobs, and I/O on the same side, sideways is the way to go.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #29,931 of 148,621
Never mind. I went to their site and have decided they look bitchin'. As I read through some of their thoughts, I saw some thing where they classify their product as "MidFi". They are doing a disservice if that is what they think. No...Wait! No one thinks that way. They may "feeeeeeel" that way but feelings are subject to emotions and emotions are subject to foo-foo of the worst (not first) order.

So given your (JamminVMI) endorsement I would say their products are not MidFi but HiFi. Schiit ain't "MidFi", it is definitely High Fidelity (great film, by the way). Call it SchiitFi.

I joined their email list and down the Long and Winding Road (great song, by the way) will doubt less buy some cables from them.
SchiitFi does read nice. To me.

Sounds good to me too, nearly as cool as Vahalla noir!

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #29,933 of 148,621
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #29,937 of 148,621
Pietro,

I once was bringing up DIY two SS amplifiers I had built and power resistors were not in my budget so I used a toaster for a load. I was driving the amp with a sine wave and the problem was that the bimetal tripped toaster would pop after 20 seconds so I eventually put bread in it to get a longer test time and then frozen bread.

When I switched to music which has far less power than a sine wave, I could drive the toaster for much longer. Rock music produced toast more quickly than classical which popped the toaster more quickly than baroque. I could hear the music from the toaster coils and considered if Bach toast tasted differently than Beethoven toast or Freebird toast.
LOL! A classically toasty post.
:dt880smile:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #29,939 of 148,621
I just saw a 87kg (192 lb) mountain lion. Is that an omen? A couple of Dept. of Natural Resources officers had darted him, measured him, and tagged him with a transmitter. Nice ***** cat. Very pretty.

OMG: The forum software blocked the use of a common English synonym for kitty or cat that even President Trump uses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back