Magni 3 Impressions
Dec 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,201 of 2,593
I listened to all of the Schiit products at RMAF 2017 a couple months ago. Magni 3 is the real deal at $100, I doubt anyone can match it for the price.

The volume pot on the Jotunheim is a big step up from the Vali 2/Magni 3 though. I have much finer control than the Vali 2 which didn't have much breathing room before it got too loud or too quiet.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,202 of 2,593
Anyone compare the JDS Labs EL Amp to the Magni 3?

I have searched the thread and no one mentions the El Amp. While I like the Magni 3 and feel it is a nice step up froi the Magni 2, would be curious to hear impressions if anyone has put a El Amp next to it for comparison. Thx.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,203 of 2,593
I am just looking forward to the straight simplicity and power of a solid state.
I was having issues with my vali 2 the other day, didn't sound right. (We get surges here). Finally decided to try switching out the tube....voilla, problem solved, however, I would like to just get back to hearing music, this voodoo tube rolling isn't that much fun, imo.

Is anyone else with a tube amp in this boat? I'm ready for solid state. Probably hold off...wondering if the old asgard will get a reboot....would like a bigger chassis, volume pot and close to 1 w for the Senn 650s.

Or do you think the mangi 3 is all you need?

I own both a Vali 2 and Magni 3. The Magni is my main amp now, but I switched back to the Vali a while back and noticed some distortion, especially with electric guitars. It was bothersome, because the same track played on the Magni 3 was distortion free. I might have solved the issue by installing a new tube, but I didn't bother. I just went back to the Magni.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,204 of 2,593
Even if they come out with a bigger pot and chassis, for $100 you can't beat that.

Sounds like people are seeing at least a small improvement over the valii 2...I did notice the 430>270 output difference.
I'm just not loving the tube chasing....$50 amperex for a $169 amp seems dumb, that's where solid state sounds like a better buy, especially if it has more power and I actually think the vali 2 drives the hd6xxs just fine, I just don't like chasing the voodoo magic anymore, and I've only bought 4 tubes!!

Maybe the magni3 can tide me over until they say, maybe an asgard 3....one can hope anyways. From what I read, the balanced jotenheim is more of a convenience feature vs sound improvement.

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,205 of 2,593
I listened to all of the Schiit products at RMAF 2017 a couple months ago. Magni 3 is the real deal at $100, I doubt anyone can match it for the price.

The volume pot on the Jotunheim is a big step up from the Vali 2/Magni 3 though. I have much finer control than the Vali 2 which didn't have much breathing room before it got too loud or too quiet.

Do you think there's a noticeable step up with the mangi 3 over vali 2??
At least in terms of volume control?? I think the vali pot is pretty hard to fine tune from sweet spot to too much just before straight up noon. Very hard to hit the right spot....just wonder your take on the mangi 3. Thanks. Cheers to Montana, me too!

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #1,206 of 2,593
At least in terms of volume control?? I think the vali pot is pretty hard to fine tune from sweet spot to too much just before straight up noon. Very hard to hit the right spot....just wonder your take on the mangi 3. Thanks. Cheers to Montana, me too!
Having a Asgard2, Lyr2, Magni (sold) and played with Rag, Jot, Valhalla2, Magni2 and Magni3 the larger amps do have a smoother volume knob that makes it easier to adjust the volume IMO.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,207 of 2,593
I have the same issue with the Vali 2, better on low gain than high gain, but the Jotunheim volume knob offers a lot more breathing room and the channels are balanced all the way to barely audible volumes. When I tried the Magni 3 it seemed to be maybe just a slightly better volume pot than Vali 2 but still not like the Jot.

Where in MT do you live? I want to move to Denver but would stay here if I had more job opportunities.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,209 of 2,593
Ordered my Magni 3 earlier. Can I get away with using an Xduoo XD-05 for a dac, or should I just pull the trigger on a Modi Uber?
Give your combo a listen. If you like it, it’s great! And if you think it can sound better (isn’t that the mantra/mandate of our hobby?), pull the trigger on the Modi 2 Uber!

I have the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 3 combo, and love them. Never heard the XD-05...

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #1,210 of 2,593
Bought the Magni 3 today. I returned the Fulla 2 that I tried out. I'll be pairing the Magni 3/Modi multibit with SHP9500S and HD-6XX. The Fulla 2 was nice but not much change from my PC sound. The Mimby is a different story. It's a nice DAC.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,212 of 2,593
You could use this mini rack, so you would not need a handle to hold them together.
KGU12.jpg

I recently picked up 2 of these units, thank you for posting

upload_2018-1-5_14-1-55.png

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,213 of 2,593
Could anyone give impressions on Magni 3 vs JDS O2 with HD 600? I am specially interested to know if the Magni 3 can pull back the midrange of HD 600 a bit. Thanks.

I haven't heard an O2, but the Magni 3 has more than twice the power than the O2 on most headphones, depending on impedance. I also haven't heard the HD600 in years, so I don't know if the midrange bump is normal or not. However if it is a side effect of the O2 not being able to handle the higher impedances well, then the Magni could maybe help.

I use a Magni 3 with HD650s and its a great combination. Plenty of power, and sounds good even at low volume. You could start with a Magni 3 and then add the Loki EQ later if you wanted to dial it in more to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back