Magni 3 Impressions
Jan 7, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,216 of 2,593
Just got the Magni 3 after using the Magni 2 for a while. One thing I noticed is that it does not get near as warm when running. I've had mine on for about 2 hours now and it's practically cool to the touch. The same could not be said for the 2. I don't notice much of a difference sonically, but is an improvement, so I'm glad I got it :) (I also needed a second amp since I was constantly switching the 2 between two devices).

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,217 of 2,593
Just got the Magni 3 after using the Magni 2 for a while. One thing I noticed is that it does not get near as warm when running. I've had mine on for about 2 hours now and it's practically cool to the touch. The same could not be said for the 2. I don't notice much of a difference sonically, but is an improvement, so I'm glad I got it :) (I also needed a second amp since I was constantly switching the 2 between two devices).

That's the same thing I ran into too, now I have 4 amps.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,218 of 2,593
Has anyone experienced the feet on the Magni 3 being uneven? Mine rocks to the right and forward. I've tried screwing / pulling a little but it still rocks a bit. Any thoughts? It's really annoying as when you want to change the volume it's just rocking all over the place.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,219 of 2,593
Has anyone experienced the feet on the Magni 3 being uneven? Mine rocks to the right and forward. I've tried screwing / pulling a little but it still rocks a bit. Any thoughts? Thanks
Given that the feet are pressed in, if they all seem to be evenly inserted, almost has to be a torqued chassis, I’d think. Anyone else have thoughts?

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,220 of 2,593
Given that the feet are pressed in, if they all seem to be evenly inserted, almost has to be a torqued chassis, I’d think. Anyone else have thoughts?
Thanks - I bought it as a Christmas present so it's passed the 28 day return period. I'm pretty annoyed, it rocks all the time I touch the volume dial.

I've sent an email to Schiit EU / UK Distributer, although it was bought as a Christmas present so passed the initial return period. We'll have to see what they say I guess.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,221 of 2,593
Turns out that after sending it back to Mark over at Schiit EU he found that some of the feet were of different sizes and he's since replaced them. Unit back with me and it's completely stable

In other news I've found lightdims.com and ordered some silver stickers which look like they'll reduce the bright LEDs.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,223 of 2,593
All of these impressions got me excited so I ordered one. That excitement quickly went away as I discovered that the Magni 3 is back-ordered.
Looks to me like they're in production, should ship soon. I would say: "be patient", but I'm not, so I'll avoid that topic completely... But let us know what you think when you get it!

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,224 of 2,593
All of these impressions got me excited so I ordered one. That excitement quickly went away as I discovered that the Magni 3 is back-ordered.

Quite a few Schiit products are, as a matter of fact (at least, that's what EU resellers claim). I pulled the trigger on a Mimby to complete the stack a few days ago, but I'm still waiting for them to re-stock and ship...
Gotta be patient!

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,225 of 2,593
So I sent my Magni 3 back to Schiit to see if there was a problem with my unit when using a high-impedance headphone (I'm using the HD-6XX 300 ohm). They sent it back saying it was fine.... Well, I don't like how it pairs with the HD-6XX. Even on high gain it feels like it is running out of gas. I can get it to play loud enough between 12 and 3 o'clock positions but the music feels like it's missing some of its dynamics. I have verified my problem is not my headphones nor my cable as they both work just fine even straight out of my iPhone and definitely sound great with my Oppo HA-2SE and Nobsound NS-08E amp.

On the other hand, the Magni 3 works very well with my Meze 99 Classics--great combo! Music is rich and the amp has plenty of power (on low gain I can barely turn the knob past 10 o'clock and usually it is around 9 o'clock). I think I'll keep it just to use with these headphones but otherwise I am disappointed.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #1,226 of 2,593
So I sent my Magni 3 back to Schiit to see if there was a problem with my unit when using a high-impedance headphone (I'm using the HD-6XX 300 ohm). They sent it back saying it was fine.... Well, I don't like how it pairs with the HD-6XX. Even on high gain it feels like it is running out of gas. I can get it to play loud enough between 12 and 3 o'clock positions but the music feels like it's missing some of its dynamics. I have verified my problem is not my headphones nor my cable as they both work just fine even straight out of my iPhone and definitely sound great with my Oppo HA-2SE and Nobsound NS-08E amp.

On the other hand, the Magni 3 works very well with my Meze 99 Classics--great combo! Music is rich and the amp has plenty of power (on low gain I can barely turn the knob past 10 o'clock and usually it is around 9 o'clock). I think I'll keep them just to use with these headphones but otherwise I am disappointed.

One of the things Jason wrote in his thread about the Magni 3 is that he "spread out" the lower volume levels on the volume control to give more fine levels. That might mean that you have to turn the volume knob higher than expected to get the same results compred to earlier versions or other amps. I use HD-800s (300 ohm) with it just fine.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,227 of 2,593
Has anyone done RMAA measurements with Magni 3? I'd be interested to see them.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,228 of 2,593
One of the things Jason wrote in his thread about the Magni 3 is that he "spread out" the lower volume levels on the volume control to give more fine levels. That might mean that you have to turn the volume knob higher than expected to get the same results compred to earlier versions or other amps. I use HD-800s (300 ohm) with it just fine.
Agreed, I used my 29 year old upgraded 600 ohm Senn HD540 Reference cans this avo (much better pads, inner driver covers and cable)with the M3, receiving terrific results, volume between 2 and 3 o'clock, no loss of bass or dynamics. In fact taut, even, fluid, punchy and transparent from top to bottom with the wonderful timing and the rhythmic integrity the HD540R's are so good at, is the way I'd describe the music that flowed forth from this great little amp. I was just delighted, since I normally use the HD540R's with twice as much power at 600 ohms from the Valhalla 2 (Amperex NOS tubes). The M3 controlled the Senns brilliantly, no trace of edge and sharpness with vocals, deep and alive bass. Amazing li'l critter, the M3. I do not understand folks selling them on only days after getting their new M3, though each to his or her own. It sounds great with all of my headphones, yet WILL show the tonal balance of each of them as they truly are ... in my experience so far. I find the M3 to be superbly rhythmic, tonally even, articulate and tuneful, brilliant not only just for the money but way better than that, from 22 ohms to 600 ohms, quite astonishing. Midrange articulation is so good I can follow the diction of languages I don't even speak, African dialects, Spanish, French.
Normally using the HifiMAN HE400S with my M3, tonight will be another session with the HD540Rs, one of the best amps I've ever heard with these wonderful headphones .... along with the V3 :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,229 of 2,593

Well, I just don't get it. The Magni 3 spec says it should be putting out 430 mW RMS at 300 ohms which should be more than enough power--my Oppo HA2-SE spec says 30 mW at 300 ohms and that works pretty well with the HD-6XX (in fact it sounds more powerful). I suppose there could be a difference in the power spectrum bandpass used to measure the RMS power spec between the two amps but I am assuming this would not be hugely significant. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps there's something weird going on with my setup...I am feeding the Magni with the line out signal from the Oppo which is supposed to be 1 Vrms. It's a single-ended output so I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable with L/R plugs going to the Magni. I've tried a different cable and I get the same results. Also, when I feed this same line-out to my Nobsound NS-08E I get no problem but that's a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connection. I tried feeding the Magni with the output from my PC's sound card and if I set the volume on the PC to 100% (on Windows and on the music app) I get a little better output but not enough to take the amp to the right levels.

I'm stumped as I'm just not getting the same experience reported by others. I can't point to "we all hear differently" because I feel my relative comparisons against much lower power amps suggest the issue is real...and according to Schiit not an issue with the Magni. Certainly it should do better than my iPhone!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,230 of 2,593
It does seem weird...no issues with my Senns. Works fine with Modi (1st gen), iDac (1st gen), Bimby, etc. Not sure, but Isn't 1 Vrms a little low from the Oppo line out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back