Loki Mini Impressions
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #316 of 1,011
You just need an additional set of L/R RCA cables, the Loki will be placed between the modi and magni. Yes, all output from the modi will be adjusted with the Loki and then passed to the magni. There is also bypass toggle so you can pass original signal from modi through with no EQ while still keeping the knobs set how you want them for EQ , then flip it back for EQ.

Just remember to volume adjust your amp if you are increasing (going to the right) the Loki knobs. Otherwise the Loki will be louder when the EQ is engaged as compared to the by-pass setting.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #321 of 1,011
I have a bit of a noob question here, but I'm an audio noob so it makes sense that this would come from me.

With the Loki being used for tone control, is there any real reason to have the Modi 2 (Uber or Multi...still undecided on which I'd get) or would the DAC in my MacBook Pro be all that I need using an RCA from my HP out on the MacBook? Obviously, the Modi 2 would give me more digital out options from the MBP and the DAC is probably a step up from the MBP, but I'm thinking my biggest gains might be noticed in using the Loki with the Magni 3. If so, that would mean I could get those now and spend some time thinking about the DAC- Uber or Multi, or wait and see if Schiit releases a Modi 3 anytime soon.

Please educate me.

For what it's worth- at work I run a TEAC UD-301 with Grado RS2e from my MBP via optical out. At home I have Momentum On-ear (original, not v2) and PSB M4U 1 phones. I'm thinking of bringing the RS2e home and taking the PSBs to work, but who knows...maybe I'll just take it all to work on a rotating basis. At home, I currently have no DAC/Amp for headphones, so running straight from the MBP or my iPhone X. I did have a portable TEAC amp/dac, but got rid of it and am considering getting another one, or the Q5 from FiiO or a Sony. That would only be used for travel though- I'm looking for a nice, small desktop setup for home use, as my big listening comes from my speaker setup and not phones much of the time (Marantz AV7703, Marantz MM7005, Polk LSiM 707 towers, 703 rears, 706c Center, sourced from either streaming lossless files via Apple 4k TV or via CD/SACD in the Oppo blu-ray).

I realize the FWIW section may be a lot of unnecessary info, but it provides a bit of background on where I'm at in my audio journey, so hopefully it helps somewhat.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #322 of 1,011
With the Loki being used for tone control, is there any real reason to have the Modi 2 (Uber or Multi...still undecided on which I'd get) or would the DAC in my MacBook Pro be all that I need using an RCA from my HP out on the MacBook?
Loki is a separate thing from a DAC. As you said, it is an equalizer. Nothing to do with DAC.

is there any real reason to have the Modi 2
I would advise getting a separate DAC, like the Modi 2 or Mimby, rather than using an built-in DAC. DAC is an important part of your chain. But don't go crazy with $1000+ DACs out there. You can start with Modi 2 if you wish.

I'm thinking my biggest gains might be noticed in using the Loki with the Magni 3
If I were to rank the order to get: Magni 3 > Modi 2 > Loki. If I were to choose, I would upgrade the amp part first. But I'm not familiar with your cans. If your cans do not need much amplification, then the order might change: Modi 2 > Magni 3 > Loki. No matter, I always see the Loki being the last piece to get.

if Schiit releases a Modi 3 anytime soon
Modi 2 is a very safe option with its very low price. Your downside risk is very minimal.

My advice is that the most important part of your audio chain is the music. Don't focus too much on the gears. Don't go down the rabbit hole like a lot of us do.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #323 of 1,011
I heard this tiny little EQ box at CanJam Saturday and was impressed as all get-out. What's weird is I wasn't even going to stop by the Schiit booth...I'm all set for amps & DACs and wasn't inclined to stop by. Then my friend sat down & started listening, so I did to.

Not sure what I think of the tiny little R2R DAC & HP amp in that triple stack. But w/the Loki's switch, it's very easy to switch it in and out of the circuit, so in a sense, it didn't matter what the DAC & amp sound like--all that matters is whether the Loki subtracts anything while in circuit.

Not even close. Other than the very small volume bump when it's switched into the circuit, I heard absolutely nothing. I was hearing this through an AFO, which has above average resolution & sound quality. If the Loki was messing w/the basic sound, I could not hear it at all.

What I did hear was very subtle, yet very effective sound modifications depending on which of the 4 pots I turned up or down. As noted elsewhere in this threat, even w/the low-bass pot pinned all the way up or down, the effects remained relatively subtle, not even close to hijacking the basic sound profile of headphone/amp/DAC. It's easily the gentlest, least intrusive EQ I've ever heard--software or hardware.

I have to get one of these. Not so much for use w/headphones & amps (I love the basic sound of my HPs & amps, can mix & match to vary sound). But it might be very useful in my desktop system.

It's an impressive little product. And yes, if a "maxi" version ever came out, odds are that would a true "killer app" for EQ. Hell, the mini version already pretty much is that...

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #324 of 1,011
I have a pair of Audeze EL-8s and they work extremely well with Loki. Loki is by far one of the best things I ever added to my system.

Same here, and agree about the value of adding it to a system.

One thing I would like to see Schiit do is add some sort of scale, either o'clock, or just numbers 1-10 or whatever. It would make it easier to change settings for different headphones.

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #329 of 1,011
It's an impressive little product. And yes, if a "maxi" version ever came out, odds are that would a true "killer app" for EQ. Hell, the mini version already pretty much is that...

I would really like to see something in the bifrost/asgard form factor and I'm willing to wait, well, for a bit anyway. I'm guessing how well this sells will be one determining factor on whether Schiit expands the range of tone control units; any sense how much attention the Loki garnered at CanJam?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #330 of 1,011
Alright, so it's not possible to use a Loki with a DAC/AMP combined unit? Looking to upgrade in the future and the Loki interests me, but that seems to rule out any of the DAC/AMP single units :/

It's not possible to use it for your headphones, which is probably your intent (because head-fi), but it could still sit between the amp's pre-outs and your speakers.

Or at least it's not possible unless there's a DAC/amp combo I've never seen that works the way you've envisioned, as if the two halves are separate units, with RCA out and in jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back