LiveWires mini-review and ER4S comparison
Jun 6, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #17 of 37
Jun 6, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 37
Jun 18, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #19 of 37
How about some pictures? =) of the Livewires and the accompanying accessories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In January, a few Head-Fiers were lucky enough to come across a budding new IEM company at Macworld. Without a product name and likely all the internal parts even decided upon, we were offered by the companies founder, John, an opportunity for dual driver customs at a price significantly below the market. Even more surprising, they came with an unheard of for customs, 30 day warranty. With nothing to lose, I ordered a pair of what was soon to be called LiveWires. I've now had them for months.

As mentioned, LiveWires are a dual driver earphone, utilizing Knowles drivers, an acrylic housing and Plastics 1 cabling. For those in the know, both the driver and the cabling are used on other IEMs. The cable is attached using a mini-coaxial connection which swivels 360 degrees. The default housing is red (right)/blue (left) color coded. The colors are covered by a black plate visible when worn. The cord is of lower microphonics than most I've experienced. Although the phones arrived without the fancy packaging of some other IEMs, they're well built and tagged with the owners name.

I originally intended for this to be a much more comprehensive comparative review. A popular option in this price range, the Etymotics ER4S (P w/S adapter in my case), has served me well for years now, and in fact, is the phone I've had longest. Although I have no previous experience with competitors in the customs range, I have experience with other models by Shure and Ultimate Ears (along with a few smaller competitors). I've always preferred the Etys in part because when in a compromised setting, when IEMs are most likely to be used, I'll sacrifice the lows over the highs every time. Breaking through small to moderate environmental noise, the highs reshapes and redefines music again. But a very important note must be made here... I'm likely in the minority. Many talk about the lost lows in the street/work/airport hum and I think it's undeniable, at Head-Fi, the Etys light has dimmed a bit in the last few years as its competitors have increasingly shown. Some of this is likely preference for new models and more drivers (irrespective of the merit of each, though there usually is), but mostly I think it's sonic preference. So with the below comparison, consider that my tastes are statistically likely different than yours. For that reason the more comprehensive comparisons, or perhaps better put, more detailed reporting, has been sacrificed.

Although I've heard a great deal of music with each, A/Bing closely three tracks recently - Joni Mitchell California (off Blue), Sufjan Stevens Jacksonville (off Come Feel the Illinoise) and Kate Rusby Underneath the Stars (title track) - the differences are quite obvious. While the Etys win in top end extension, resolution and a more neutral (if a bit treble focused) presentation, the LiveWires midrange moves forward, the bass fills in and soundstage/headstage expand. Vocals are quite prominent and energetic, and there's a warmth present missing in the Etys. Put simply, the LiveWires groove and hint towards full-sized phones. During this test I was fortunate enough to have a fellow Head-Fier, User18, lend me a pair of Ultrasone PROline 750s and they made me think of one another more than once. My only significant complaint with the LiveWires sound is a beginning roll-off around 9K. Coming from the Etys, this presented a bit of a problem for me to initially get used to. Again I must restate my above preference warning. I've felt similarly with other non-Ety IEMs in the past.

On overall sound quality technical merits, I feel the ER4S is the superior phone. The LiveWires can't match them in traditional accuracy, however if impact is your measure (as is often mentioned in the Senn v. Grado debate), or outside of head space important, you are likely to feel the opposite. And undoubtedly genre choices are going to play a part. I would certainly grab the Livewires if I wanted to rock for instance. More importantly, if sound quality was the only judgment, I wouldn't be using IEMs in the first place. Portable audio is inherently about compromise and the LiveWires have two significant advantages here - being customs and having very high efficiency. For those unfamiliar with customs, I can't over-exaggerate the convenience factor over non-customs. As opposed to the Ety foam insertion* of roll foam between fingers, roll foam other direction, reverse again, hold, drop jaw, sometimes reach over and pull top of ear up, insert while slowing rotating in and potentially starting again if insertion is too short or deep and a channel imbalance is found, the LiveWires customs are insert and quarter rotate. This effectively eliminates the need for another pair of closed phones when insertion/removal is more often required (office environment or where conversions may start at anytime, etc.). The LiveWires are also extremely easy to power. They are even more efficient than the ER4Ps (which I was able to test without the S adapter). Amping advantages greatly decreased to the point that I was nearly always ampless with the LiveWires (though used an amp for the above tests). For those starting out this should be a consideration when dividing funds. Potentially invest your amp money in the earphones and you've got a more portable setup. The efficiency comes with a cost though. You can pick up a slight hiss coming from some sources (in my case the iPod). This is pretty easy to get accustom to and is not audible when music is playing, but is between tracks.

So when it comes to a choice between better SQ and much greater convenience which did I choose? That's an easy one. About 75% of the time in this battle I go with the LiveWires. They are plenty good in their own right, exhibit greater strengths especially in some genres and the ability to go ampless and use in the office are huge pluses. I bought the LiveWires expecting to return them or sell the Etys. The 30 day warranty was never in danger of being used. What to do with the Etys I still haven't decided.

This comparison is pretty brief, but I hope it accurately demonstrates my thoughts on these two excellent phones. I think the LiveWires are an great new option in the IEM field, and their price is especially competitive. They've been somewhat under the radar as the company launches, but I expect that to change quickly as they end up in more hands. A growing list of musician and concert professionals are showing on the LiveWiresForYou site, which will likely even further their reputation.

[size=xx-small]* Although the Ety silicon tips do eliminate the need to compress the foam, the other steps are still required and I've never found the silicone to match the foams in SQ.[/size]

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

Primary equipment used:
LiveWires
Etymotic ER4S with S adapter
5G iPod
ALO silver adapter
C&C Box v2 (w/ and w/o SF engaged)

June 4, 2007

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 37
hmmm i'm really interested in these now. Does anyone have any other IEM's for comparison? shure e500? westone um2 or 3?

I've been thinking about getting the um56 tips and i ran into this thread. um56 seems less risky since westone people seem to be good about getting refits and I can use the tip on most IEM's out there, at least the ones that interest me, so upgrading shouldnt' be an issue. I'm interested to see how these compare to say e500 + um56 or westone um2 + um56, etc.

~$300 is still lot of money considering these have no resale value.

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 37
Yeah someone give ALL the details. Show pics for crying out loud! I'm desperate for more info on these things but none seems to be coming. These could possibly be my last iem purchase. Step up to the plate fellas and let us know how they are...

Ply

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Does anyone have any other IEM's for comparison? shure e500? westone um2 or 3?

They sound similar to the UM2's but not quite super warm like the UM2.

Quote:

~$300 is still lot of money considering these have no resale value.

But they do have a 30-day "love it or refund it" policy.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound similar to the UM2's but not quite super warm like the UM2.

But they do have a 30-day "love it or refund it" policy.

I'm from Canada so I don't think it applies to me
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm from Canada so I don't think it applies to me
frown.gif

Actually I talked to John Diles regarding this and apparently because LiveWires are sold direct to Canada their 30 day refund policy does apply so the only thing you would be out is the cost of impressions and the brokerage,tax and shipping fees although with the right paperwork you might be able to get at least the tax back. For me the only thing holding me back is the cost of getting the impressions done here, also because the population is so small there are few places that would even be able to do the impressions and I'm not convinced they would get it right which could mean sending the back for a refit.

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 37
But don't forget their "love it or refund it" policy. 30 to test and return for your money back. Though they said this has only happened once in over 600 sets sold!

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

But don't forget their "love it or refund it" policy. 30 to test and return for your money back. Though they said this has only happened once in over 600 sets sold!

So far they've never had a pair be returned because the buyer didn't like it, or it wasn't up to the buyer's standards.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #27 of 37
Gah, I'm so tempted to get myself some livewires seeing as I haven't yet made my first major head-fi purchase yet. I was pretty much sold on saving up for the um2 after hearing good things about the bass (I'm a basshead =P), but now I'm really interested in these as potentially being my one and only head-fi purchase (famous last words, last purchase =P) Something I've never experienced is soundstage, so would I be satisfied / notice that attribute with the livewires?

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not much buzz here about the Livewires for such an inexpensive custom.

get ready, it's coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back