LiveWires mini-review and ER4S comparison
Jun 5, 2007 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
In January, a few Head-Fiers were lucky enough to come across a budding new IEM company at Macworld. Without a product name and likely all the internal parts even decided upon, we were offered by the companies founder, John, an opportunity for dual driver customs at a price significantly below the market. Even more surprising, they came with an unheard of for customs, 30 day warranty. With nothing to lose, I ordered a pair of what was soon to be called LiveWires. I've now had them for months.

As mentioned, LiveWires are a dual driver earphone, utilizing Knowles drivers, an acrylic housing and Plastics 1 cabling. For those in the know, both the driver and the cabling are used on other IEMs. The cable is attached using a mini-coaxial connection which swivels 360 degrees. The default housing is red (right)/blue (left) color coded. The colors are covered by a black plate visible when worn. The cord is of lower microphonics than most I've experienced. Although the phones arrived without the fancy packaging of some other IEMs, they're well built and tagged with the owners name.

I originally intended for this to be a much more comprehensive comparative review. A popular option in this price range, the Etymotics ER4S (P w/S adapter in my case), has served me well for years now, and in fact, is the phone I've had longest. Although I have no previous experience with competitors in the customs range, I have experience with other models by Shure and Ultimate Ears (along with a few smaller competitors). I've always preferred the Etys in part because when in a compromised setting, when IEMs are most likely to be used, I'll sacrifice the lows over the highs every time. Breaking through small to moderate environmental noise, the highs reshapes and redefines music again. But a very important note must be made here... I'm likely in the minority. Many talk about the lost lows in the street/work/airport hum and I think it's undeniable, at Head-Fi, the Etys light has dimmed a bit in the last few years as its competitors have increasingly shown. Some of this is likely preference for new models and more drivers (irrespective of the merit of each, though there usually is), but mostly I think it's sonic preference. So with the below comparison, consider that my tastes are statistically likely different than yours. For that reason the more comprehensive comparisons, or perhaps better put, more detailed reporting, has been sacrificed.

Although I've heard a great deal of music with each, A/Bing closely three tracks recently - Joni Mitchell California (off Blue), Sufjan Stevens Jacksonville (off Come Feel the Illinoise) and Kate Rusby Underneath the Stars (title track) - the differences are quite obvious. While the Etys win in top end extension, resolution and a more neutral (if a bit treble focused) presentation, the LiveWires midrange moves forward, the bass fills in and soundstage/headstage expand. Vocals are quite prominent and energetic, and there's a warmth present missing in the Etys. Put simply, the LiveWires groove and hint towards full-sized phones. During this test I was fortunate enough to have a fellow Head-Fier, User18, lend me a pair of Ultrasone PROline 750s and they made me think of one another more than once. My only significant complaint with the LiveWires sound is a beginning roll-off around 9K. Coming from the Etys, this presented a bit of a problem for me to initially get used to. Again I must restate my above preference warning. I've felt similarly with other non-Ety IEMs in the past.

On overall sound quality technical merits, I feel the ER4S is the superior phone. The LiveWires can't match them in traditional accuracy, however if impact is your measure (as is often mentioned in the Senn v. Grado debate), or outside of head space important, you are likely to feel the opposite. And undoubtedly genre choices are going to play a part. I would certainly grab the Livewires if I wanted to rock for instance. More importantly, if sound quality was the only judgment, I wouldn't be using IEMs in the first place. Portable audio is inherently about compromise and the LiveWires have two significant advantages here - being customs and having very high efficiency. For those unfamiliar with customs, I can't over-exaggerate the convenience factor over non-customs. As opposed to the Ety foam insertion* of roll foam between fingers, roll foam other direction, reverse again, hold, drop jaw, sometimes reach over and pull top of ear up, insert while slowing rotating in and potentially starting again if insertion is too short or deep and a channel imbalance is found, the LiveWires customs are insert and quarter rotate. This effectively eliminates the need for another pair of closed phones when insertion/removal is more often required (office environment or where conversions may start at anytime, etc.). The LiveWires are also extremely easy to power. They are even more efficient than the ER4Ps (which I was able to test without the S adapter). Amping advantages greatly decreased to the point that I was nearly always ampless with the LiveWires (though used an amp for the above tests). For those starting out this should be a consideration when dividing funds. Potentially invest your amp money in the earphones and you've got a more portable setup. The efficiency comes with a cost though. You can pick up a slight hiss coming from some sources (in my case the iPod). This is pretty easy to get accustom to and is not audible when music is playing, but is between tracks.

So when it comes to a choice between better SQ and much greater convenience which did I choose? That's an easy one. About 75% of the time in this battle I go with the LiveWires. They are plenty good in their own right, exhibit greater strengths especially in some genres and the ability to go ampless and use in the office are huge pluses. I bought the LiveWires expecting to return them or sell the Etys. The 30 day warranty was never in danger of being used. What to do with the Etys I still haven't decided.

This comparison is pretty brief, but I hope it accurately demonstrates my thoughts on these two excellent phones. I think the LiveWires are an great new option in the IEM field, and their price is especially competitive. They've been somewhat under the radar as the company launches, but I expect that to change quickly as they end up in more hands. A growing list of musician and concert professionals are showing on the LiveWiresForYou site, which will likely even further their reputation.

[size=xx-small]* Although the Ety silicon tips do eliminate the need to compress the foam, the other steps are still required and I've never found the silicone to match the foams in SQ.[/size]

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

Primary equipment used:
LiveWires
Etymotic ER4S with S adapter
5G iPod
ALO silver adapter
C&C Box v2 (w/ and w/o SF engaged)

June 4, 2007

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 37
custom mold the er4 and do a rematch
smily_headphones1.gif

ah, thanks for the review.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 37
Thanks for the review. Having just pulled the trigger on these it's always nice to have your decision confirmed as a good one, and the comparison to the Ultrasone PROline750, which continue to impress me, is also a welcome one.

Awesome, now I just need to wait a month or so before they arrive!

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be posting a PayPal donation link soon.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 37
thanks for the review

It seems that these are the IEMs for me. After trying the e500s and being disappointed (too much expectation, maybe). I think these are good enough and cheap enough for me to try

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 37
Thanks a lot for the info dude. I've been waiting a while for another review or two.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

As the owner of a couple custom ER4 molds, maybe I can shed a little light here.

In my experience customs either don't change the ER4 sound significantly (with a stiff material like Otoblast) or else they cause the bass to drop out a bit (with W1 silicone, a softer material). So I would expect all of blessingx's sonic observations to continue to hold true. Customs certainly don't make the ER4 sound less ER4-ish and more Shure-ish or something-else-ish. It's still very much the standard Ety sound.

The Otoblast customs I have may offer a very slightly cleaner sound than foams or triflanges, but I am not yet convinced of this. I may be imagining the improvement.

The customs I have are not a full-hard material like the LiveWires acrylic or plastic, and because of both their pliability and the high friction coefficient of silicone they are not nearly as quick and easy to insert as the LiveWires and other hard/acrylic IEMs. They're a nuisance, actually - in fact a bit more of a nuisance than foams, IMO.

(I've written to my provider to find out whether ER4 molds can be made in a full-hard material. I'm not sure they can, since the flanged shape of the ER4 stalk might not seat well in a nonpliable channel. When I get an answer, I'll post it here.)

Edit: I was right, the Ety custom earmolds cannot be made in hard acrylic. My provider recommended the matte-finish Otoblast, and I have a pair on order which should arrive mid-June.

Customs do reduce the perceived sensitivity of the ER4 noticeably, presumably because the driver has a longer air channel to deal with. That is, if you put your source on mono and put a custom earmold on one side and a foam eartip on the other, there's no question that the custom-earmold side is quieter.

My ER4 customs are somewhat more microphonic than foams, and somewhat less isolating as well.

To summarize, I guess I'd say that my ER4 custom earmolds aren't really an improvement over my usual Comply tips except in long-wear comfort. Sonically they're a wash, and in ergonomics, isolation, microphonics and appearance (the ER4's stick out of them a bit) they are a negative. Despite that, I do like the extra comfort and given how much I like and wear Etys the custom earmolds are worth the price to me. I'll definitely buy an additional set if I can get them in a material that will afford fast insertion/removal.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How good is the isolation with the livewires? Better then the er4p/s with foamies?

I just did a very quick test and the Etys with foam isolated more. It's a noticeable, but not substantial difference. Considering we're talking a rated 35-42 dB with the Etys, my guess is the LiveWires are a few decibels less. From using them daily, including on the street often, I can say they still isolate pretty well.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question

How good is the isolation with the livewires? Better then the er4p/s with foamies?

let's just jump on the bandwagon..
and let's all blame on blessingx if it turns out to be a failure :p

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

let's just jump on the bandwagon..
and let's all blame on blessingx if it turns out to be a failure :p

im so close to getting these

im just so sad that I didnt like the e500s. I could have gotten them for a decent price
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 37
ya these livewire customs have been on my mind for quite a while now but i've gotta pair of ER4p/s coming in. i'll see how much i like the ER4s over my modded iM716 1st before jumping off the bridge again but the livewires sure are a great deal for customs and from blessing's review, they seem a good partner to combo with ER4s.

thxs for the review blessingx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back