Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions?
Jan 1, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #46 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
c'mon Penchum give us initial impressions when your MKV arrived
biggrin.gif

Well, I was shocked by the fast shipping during the holidays. It was safely packed, the build quality is like that of the MKIV, very excellent. I immediately hooked up a source I could run constant for the initial 100hrs. I plugged in my HD-650s and sat down for a listen. Very, Very nice amp. Dual inputs are so nice! More to come later...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #47 of 168
I forgot to congratulate you on your new acquisition .I'm very curious of your opinions on the dual mono design and it's sound.If it's that good I might spring for one also down the road.Happy listening and Happy new Year
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #48 of 168
Yay another person with the MK V. Penchum could you do me a favour. Can you use one of your low impedance phones on the MK V with it on without any signal. Do you hear any sort of hissing/static like sound. My Denons pick up an anoying hiss with the MK V most likey due to low impedance and high sensitivity. But im getting my HD650 soon so it should be good.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #49 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay another person with the MK V. Penchum could you do me a favour. Can you use one of your low impedance phones on the MK V with it on without any signal. Do you hear any sort of hissing/static like sound. My Denons pick up an anoying hiss with the MK V most likey due to low impedance and high sensitivity. But im getting my HD650 soon so it should be good.
wink.gif

Sure! The lowest impedance phones I have are the 64ohm HD-280pros and I got nothing. What impedance are the Denons? I know the lowest impedance that is supposed to be used in the MKV is 32ohms. Here is another test that might help troubleshoot. Leave one input empty, hook up a source to the other input (powered but stopped). Try your noise test on both. Is there a difference between them?

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #50 of 168
Thanks for that Penchum. The Denons are 25ohms. I have already tested to see if my source was the problem. I have a few impedance adapters on the way that should fix the hissing.

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #51 of 168
C'mon Penchum!! You have absolutely nothing to do today but keep an eye on college football and enjoy the MKV LOL!!

Do SS amps need as much burn in as tubes???

Enjoy it and keep throwing us a bone when you have time!!

Roger

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #52 of 168
Quote:

Thanks for that Penchum. The Denons are 25ohms. I have already tested to see if my source was the problem. I have a few impedance adapters on the way that should fix the hissing.

Cool, I wondered if it wasn't something like that.
biggrin.gif
Have a good one!

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #53 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon Penchum!! You have absolutely nothing to do today but keep an eye on college football and enjoy the MKV LOL!!

Do SS amps need as much burn in as tubes???

Enjoy it and keep throwing us a bone when you have time!!

Roger

Hi Roger! For the Solid State amps, it is Less than tube amps, but they do have those big capacitors in there, so some is required. I'm setting the limit at 100hrs. However, I've been listening in and I like what I hear!
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #54 of 168
Quote:

try a lower gain setting on the amp.

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #55 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try a lower gain setting on the amp.

Its the pure Solid State model (MKV), there are no gain adjustments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #57 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its the pure Solid State model (MKV), there are no gain adjustments.
smily_headphones1.gif

SS can also have gain adjusting. Wierd that LD didnt include one as its available in their tube designs.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #58 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SS can also have gain adjusting. Wierd that LD didnt include one as its available in their tube designs.

Ow, I didn't mean they couldn't have, they just didn't. This whole unit is centered around a super clean design, so I would guess if it had one, that could possibly add noise, so it wasn't included in the design. With my HD-650s, there is plenty of power available.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #59 of 168
yeah. the gain switch would add an extra circuit in the signal path. cleaner without it. but then the amp becomes more suitable for one type of impedance over another. for example on my ++, there was a faint hum when using my RS1 (32 ohm), but when the jumpers were pulled out (a lower gain) the hiss went away.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #60 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah. the gain switch would add an extra circuit in the signal path. cleaner without it. but then the amp becomes more suitable for one type of impedance over another. for example on my ++, there was a faint hum when using my RS1 (32 ohm), but when the jumpers were pulled out (a lower gain) the hiss went away.

That makes sense. The only limitation I noticed was the lowest load was 32ohm and highest was 600. I know Sword Yang usually uses HD-650s as the "standard" when making a design and I'd bet this is the case with the MKV as well. But, I did try my 64ohm HD-280pros and there wasn't any noise at that load. The HD-650s sound fantastic in the MKV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back