Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #1,351 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eboy2003,

Do you think this could affect on 220V (europe) voltages too? I'm sure that my house has kinda slobby voltage output.

----

These M8161 sure sound great, but they don't mate with GS1K's that well.

BTW, I think I'm gonna put my amp(s) (2x MKIII EU version) + all my tubes for sale in a ~month, anyone interested here? You can check my tubes from my profile.

I'd be interested in your Tung Sols...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #1,352 of 3,408
I'd take those 8100s
L3000.gif

BTW, it might have been discussed but I just ordered some Siemens 6AK5W
from Hi-Fi Tubes.

Anyone tried them?

Quote:

eboy2003,

Do you think this could affect on 220V (europe) voltages too? I'm sure that my house has kinda slobby voltage output.

----

These M8161 sure sound great, but they don't mate with GS1K's that well.

BTW, I think I'm gonna put my amp(s) (2x MKIII EU version) + all my tubes for sale in a ~month, anyone interested here? You can check my tubes from my profile.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #1,354 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in that case, I'll have to look closely at my other two amps, to see if they need them as well. Not a problem, just one or more things for the pile in front of me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Jezz PP, I feel like I should call up the Roto-rooter man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and on a side note, I bent a credit card and purchased a new amp for my mini-system, the Audio Source AMP-100. Amazon for $79 and free ship. I just couldn't pass it up.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll drive it with my Yamaha pre-amp, with FrankenZero sourcing and the MKIII and MKIVse hanging off of tape 1 & 2. I'm going to pull the Super-T amp and look it over seriously for some upgrades/mods. Once my speakers matured, the Super-T was struggling to drive them properly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait until you get that giant sack of goodies I sent you....
biggrin.gif
I was worried from day one with the line voltage being always at 126+ here.....eBoy confirming the unregulated heater voltage being out of spec...well that means a tube eater in the making....I blew through 2 sets of 6N6P-I's without really thinking to much about it....until the DR's came along (Thanks Pench for emptying my wallet of a further 170US
smily_headphones1.gif
) Just kidding...I love these DR's......I'm glad eBoy posted his findings ...THANKS brother !!!

I have an AudioSource Rarity....it wasn't ever supposed to be sold......I have 2 hybrid Tripath class A class A/B Amp 6.3's. 150 W per channel 250 bridged mono. They are sitting here waiting for a pair of worthy near field monitors (that I will build since I can't afford a real set) on the comp desk.

That little beauty you picked up isn't a half bad amp....you can guess what I'm going to say next right ?

Send me an internal shot when you get it.....as well as the T-Amp...and see what the elves at FrankenWORKS can come up with
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the solid score...isn't that amp 50 W RMS ? I forget.

Peete.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #1,355 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eboy,
Just want to clarify the 1ohm resistor mod also applies to the MKIII and you attach it just like in your photos for the MKIV ?

Yes, this applies to MK III as well, although for MK III the board is more tight fit and harder to take out. I will post new photos when I mod my MK III this weekend.

Oct 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #1,357 of 3,408
How long should driver/power tubes last under optimal circumstances given an average of 4 hours usage each day?

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #1,358 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonKopf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long should driver/power tubes last under optimal circumstances given an average of 4 hours usage each day?

Depends on the tube...if it's mil spec or consumer level and the amp using them....on average I would say between 1000 to 5000 hours for some types and the top shelf mil spec stuff 5000 to 10,000 hours under ideal circumstances. Too many variables to list to make a general statement of course. I always knock about 30% off max hours for a good ballpark figure.

I've had NOS tubes last 2 years + and others less than 30 days....no way to know for sure.

Peete.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #1,359 of 3,408
Hm ... that's disappointing. I would have expected (hoped for) a longer life expectancy. This makes the aforementioned mod almost a requirement.
I almost think this should be addressed at the time of production and really is a engineering flaw. Am I too harsh?

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #1,361 of 3,408
"Mike_TNT

BTW, it might have been discussed but I just ordered some Siemens 6AK5W
from Hi-Fi Tubes.

Anyone tried them?"

I don't think these have been discussed here before, but I would be interested in your feedback on how they compare to the stock tubes and to the 6Zh1P-EV.

Thanks

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #1,362 of 3,408
Currently on sale at ebay.

They've received some positive feedback (the tubes, not the seller) here.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #1,363 of 3,408
Nov 2, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #1,364 of 3,408
Quote:

Yeah the jumpers are (what a pain in the **** were they to put on, had to use two screwdrivers like chinese eatingsticks
biggrin.gif
).

I finally got the gold plated jumpers for my MkIII, initial impression is that they take some of the harshness out of the EF92 and EF91 families of tubes, will report back with more impressions but so far the jumpers are definitely worth the cost to get the most out of your EF92/EF91 tubes.
icon10.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jumper-Upgrade-L...d=p3286.c0.m14

Oh yeah they are also much easier to install than the stock jumpers.

- DoA

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #1,365 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found these on ebay, and they are the real deal!! BIN is a decent price, so if anyone is looking for matched Sylvania 5654's with round getters and black plates, this set seems like a good deal, but it ends in 5 hours or so:

Sylvania JHS 5654 6AK5 EF95 Matched Pair Little Dot Amp - eBay (item 300268826725 end time Nov-01-08 15:52:15 PDT)

I have two pairs of the exact same tubes, and they are my favorite driver tubes for my MKIII and MKII.
smily_headphones1.gif

they are gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back