Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Sep 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #1,246 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question.. about 2 weeks ago I received 2 sets of Sylvania tubes. I put one in, sounds awesome, great. I then try another set of tubes but decide to go back to the Sylvanias, but they really don't sound nearly as good as before.

What gives? Can burning in those tubes actually make them sound bad? :p I put the set i hadn't used yet in just now, and it sounds just as good as originally. There is a huge difference in the soundstage between the two sets, it's like night and day.

Question is.. are those tubes known to "close up" and muddle up the sound after burning in? It just seems weird to me that the sound would degrade after some use.

thanks for any insight.

Not that I'm an expert but it certainly seems possible - like if they change at all during burn-in there's cetainly no guarantee that said changes will be positive - especially when considering that everyone's ears and tastes are different. So to you they may change for the worse but to someone else it could be the opposite. For as much science as there actually is involved in all the head-fi stuff, at the end of the day, there's just far too many variables for there to be hard-and-fast "rules" about most of it... just something to consider.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #1,247 of 3,408
Quote:

I have a question.. about 2 weeks ago I received 2 sets of Sylvania tubes. I put one in, sounds awesome, great. I then try another set of tubes but decide to go back to the Sylvanias, but they really don't sound nearly as good as before.

What gives? Can burning in those tubes actually make them sound bad? :p I put the set i hadn't used yet in just now, and it sounds just as good as originally. There is a huge difference in the soundstage between the two sets, it's like night and day.

Question is.. are those tubes known to "close up" and muddle up the sound after burning in? It just seems weird to me that the sound would degrade after some use.

thanks for any insight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I'm an expert but it certainly seems possible - like if they change at all during burn-in there's cetainly no guarantee that said changes will be positive - especially when considering that everyone's ears and tastes are different. So to you they may change for the worse but to someone else it could be the opposite. For as much science as there actually is involved in all the head-fi stuff, at the end of the day, there's just far too many variables for there to be hard-and-fast "rules" about most of it... just something to consider.

I agree with ScottieB on this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have also had two sets come out different than each other. I wish I had a tube tester, so I could see what differences exist between two sets like that.
smily_headphones1.gif
One of these days, hopefully.

While the unmatched multiple sets have turned out a few pairs with this problem, or difference, generally, the matched sets that you pay more for, don't have these issues. At least I haven't run into any problems so far. I know several "tube expert" members here that recommend only the matched sets, just for this type of reason, and as time goes by, they seem to be more right than wrong on this. I don't like the extra cost factor, but it seems to alleviate regret in the long run.
smily_headphones1.gif
YMMV as usual.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #1,248 of 3,408
true that. I did get the cheaper set of 4s rather than a "perfectly" matched pair from yen on ebay. I think i'll just bite the bullet and buy another pair.

I must say, the initial sound I got from these Sylvania tubes was heavenly. Too bad it didn't last. sniff

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #1,249 of 3,408
Quote:

true that. I did get the cheaper set of 4s rather than a "perfectly" matched pair from yen on ebay. I think i'll just bite the bullet and buy another pair.

I must say, the initial sound I got from these Sylvania tubes was heavenly. Too bad it didn't last. sniff

I had a matched pair do this to me, no guarentee's with NOS glass......it happens.

Peete.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #1,250 of 3,408
Sep 21, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #1,251 of 3,408
Quote:

has anyone bought tubes from seller walden on ebay?

He sells his Mullard 8161s 30 bucks less than yen.. says they are "date matched".

M8161 CV4015 6065 MULLARD~NEW~DATE MATCH~TUBE AMPLIFIER - (eBay.ca item 180289773062 end time 22-Sep-08 20:00:00 EDT)

Wondering how reliable it might be to buy it from him. I don't want mismatched tubes again
frown.gif

Tough to say, but those are certainly worth the asking price. I'm not sure if those are large shield or small. Someone else will chime in on that.

Peete.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #1,252 of 3,408
Mmmmm I love these Tung Sols (Tung-Sol 6AK5W 5654 matched from Yen). Tho they have ~30 hours now and the sound is still refining. Very nice detail, clear highs and deep bass. Only thing these seem to somewhat lack is in the mid-area. Keeping my hopes up it gets better with more hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Compared to Russians they have much deeper bass, a bit more detail, more silkier highs, but they lack some of Russian's mids.

I recommend em for anyone with Grados out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Got the Sylvanias too, black Plates, square Getters, ~1960s. My jaw almost dropped when I put em on and listened to some of my favourite songs. They just give so smooth and DEEP bass I couldn't believe that 325i's could even deliver. It's a shame that their mids and highs are pretty bad compared to Tung Sols or the Russian's.

It's a hard decision between the Tung Sols and Russians. If these Tung Sols still mature with mids I think they will become my number one choice.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #1,253 of 3,408
The Syl black plate round getters get it all, right.....look for that type in a ruggedized (SP?) 6AK5W or WA version.

I agree with your Tung Sol views, the mids will come forward a little once they have burned in.

Peete.

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #1,254 of 3,408
I Have The MK 111 And i Am Using AKG 701 Headphones with It.This Is hooked Into my Computer,Which has a 7.1 digital sound card.I have 2sets of Gl5654 tubes,But would like some suggestions on the other tubes.I am new to tube products and don't know anything about tube rolling.

Thank You For any help.

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #1,255 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by yamadog1998 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Have The MK 111 And i Am Using AKG 701 Headphones with It.This Is hooked Into my Computer,Which has a 7.1 digital sound card.I have 2sets of Gl5654 tubes,But would like some suggestions on the other tubes.I am new to tube products and don't know anything about tube rolling.

Thank You For any help.

Start with the Mullard M8100 and Voshod EF95, those two are something of a bench-mark to compare with other tubes. Due to the age of these tubes and the variable nature of vintage electronics, I would recommend getting tubes that are tested and matched by a trusted vendor rather than buying them As-Is (tip: if they don't list the equipment they use to 'test' their tubes then it's more than likely that they don't, especially on ebay where sketchy sellers roam), there's no point in buying a pair of tubes only to have them be unmatched and sound bad, even if they're cheap, like everything else in life you get what you pay for, that's my opinion though.

Anyway, I would start looking with Yen Audio on ebay for LD tube upgrades (eBay Store - Yen Audio: Little Dot Upgrade Tubes: 6H6P-I Little Dot Amp Power Tube Upgrade 6N6 MATCHED PR)

Sorry about your wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #1,256 of 3,408
Thank You.
I am getting the 6h6p's and will be using the gl5654 as drivers,unless someone has a better idea,or can the gl5654's even work with the 6h6p's.Here again i demonstrate my newness to this hobby.The one thing i can say is i love my music,and demand a higher standard of quality.
Thank you for all the help.I can see i have found a home with like minded people.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #1,257 of 3,408
could someone compare these two tubes' sound for me?

The Mullard M8161 (EF92) and Tung-Sol 6AK5W (EF95)
I read in this thread the Mullards would give a very smooth and silky sound whereas the Tung-Sol (as read above on this page) might lack in mids early on but offer pretty good detail and highs?

If you had to choose one which one would you get? Obviously all a matter of taste but curious if there's a clear cut "winner" here. Perhaps the hassle of switching jumper every time i switch tubes might discount the Mullards out.
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #1,258 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by yamadog1998 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You.
I am getting the 6h6p's and will be using the gl5654 as drivers,unless someone has a better idea,or can the gl5654's even work with the 6h6p's.Here again i demonstrate my newness to this hobby.The one thing i can say is i love my music,and demand a higher standard of quality.
Thank you for all the help.I can see i have found a home with like minded people.

If I were you I'd just change the driver tubes for starters. Good choice would be Russian 6ZH1P-EV. You can get them bloody cheap and they sound too good for the money.

I ordered mine from 6AK5W - 5654 - 6ZH1P-EV Tubes. Set of 4 - eBay (item 290258481438 end time Oct-05-08 02:42:40 PDT)

--

PascalT,

Can't compare them, sorry, but:

"but offer pretty good detail and highs" -> offer good detail, good highs, good bass.
L3000.gif

Overall these are very nice indeed. Without that lack of mids (which seems to get better all the time, or my ears are just getting used to it
smily_headphones1.gif
) these would be close to perfect to my ears.

Oh my poor wallet. Have to order some EF92's, Mullards maybe, just to test them out now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #1,259 of 3,408
Sep 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #1,260 of 3,408
The issue with Zaerix is you never know where the tubes were made. I have some Zaerix branded ECC32's which are Mullards. I also bought some Zaerix EL84's which I thought looked Russian, and they were for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back