Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Sep 4, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #1,231 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange how everyone seems to like them. I have two pairs and don't like their sound at all. Guess they don't like Grados too much. Though the guy I bought my Grados from adviced me to try those. Both burned for ~100 hours. I prefer these Russians over them any day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just ordered quad of Sylvania JAN 6AK5 and a matched pair of Tung-Sol 6AK5W 5654 from Yen. Gonna post my thoughts about them as soon as I have some hours on them.
o2smile.gif

Of course everyone's got different ears ....but I bet u're gonna like those Tung-Sols with the Grados....Let us know how they turn out....

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #1,232 of 3,408
Hi there, do we need to do a mod if I wanna change the power tube to 6H30Pi-EH Electro Harmonix? Or is it a direct swap? Just like to make sure b4 purchasing it. On yen audio its said a direct replacement.

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #1,233 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by esirex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, do we need to do a mod if I wanna change the power tube to 6H30Pi-EH Electro Harmonix? Or is it a direct swap? Just like to make sure b4 purchasing it. On yen audio its said a direct replacement.

Its a direct swap for the MKIV but for the MKIII you'll need to do a resistor mod.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #1,235 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif
Just managed to pick up some EF92 Bugle Boys on eBay.....been looking for 6 months....can't wait to hear if they're as good as everyone says...

Lucky you. Give em to me, I order you!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #1,236 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a direct swap for the MKIV but for the MKIII you'll need to do a resistor mod.

Thanks for the info trapper...

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #1,237 of 3,408
Well this isn't exactly a tube roll...but it will sure help those tubes to sing....latest mod on the MK III.....resistor changed to 120 ohm for use of 6H30Pi power tube, PIO bypass caps on 3 x 270uf 250V filter caps in power supply section, PIO bypass caps on 2 x 220uf 200V caps....and Teflon bypass caps (.1 uf 600V DC 5% tol) slung on the underside of chassis. PIO cap values are .033uf 500V 10% (all 5). Teflons bypass 3.3 uf 50V WIMA MKP 1 output coupling caps.

Sounds great so far...NOS Telefunken CV4015 drivers ( note Sylvania black plate 6AK5WA's in photos), Sovtek 6H30Pi power tubes. Tubes have less than 100 hours with cap mods less than 10 hours.

Really impressed with the immediate improvement in SQ.

Heres a couple pics....
MKIIIFrankenMOD009.jpg

Underside shot showing huge Teflon caps attached with zip ties through stock chassis holes. The cap bodies have been wrapped in electrical tape ....they are aluminum casings...so they had to be insulated from the chassis bottom.

MKIIIFrankenMOD012.jpg

Last shot showing just how tight this little chassis is, hard to believe I stuffed 5 PIO bypass caps in there
smily_headphones1.gif

MKIIIFrankenMOD011.jpg

The end result ? Well worth the effort IMO. Total cost of upgrade is around 80 dollars including a set of matched Sovtek 6H30Pi's
smily_headphones1.gif
A bargain by any standards these days....Burn in is going to be a long wait I'm afraid, min 250 - 350 hours...sigh...

Peete.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #1,238 of 3,408
Has anyone else noticed a VERY faint hum, sounds like a quiet ground loop buzz but it's heard from the case, not through the headphones. I have to listen for it to hear it, but when I do hear it I can detect it from across the room.

I first found it when I was doing the "smoke test" on my Opus, listening for anything going awry. The opus passed, but I picked up on the hum from the MkIII for the first time.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #1,239 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else noticed a VERY faint hum, sounds like a quiet ground loop buzz but it's heard from the case, not through the headphones. I have to listen for it to hear it, but when I do hear it I can detect it from across the room.

I first found it when I was doing the "smoke test" on my Opus, listening for anything going awry. The opus passed, but I picked up on the hum from the MkIII for the first time.

Transformer making noise/vibrating perhaps ? I have no hum whatsoever, what's the mains line voltage out in your neck of the woods dgb ?

How are you doing these days ? Nice to see you again
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #1,240 of 3,408
Wow peete, those are some impressive mods on your MkIII. I'm hanging in there, it's been an insane few months (finished school, wrote my thesis, started my job, moved three times, etc...). My poor MkIII hasn't been seeing much upgrade/rolling love lately since I've been spending my money on building an opus dac, and now an M^3 amp (a SS amp, but I love the look of tubes so it'll have a nixie tube vu meter
biggrin.gif
)

Yea, I'm thinking it's the transformer too, but I don't know if I'm within spec or if it should be silent. It's a good excuse to buy tube dampers and some of those spiked feet and cork for the amp
biggrin.gif
Mains voltage should be about 120VAC, but I've never bothered to stick my dmm in the socket to check. I'm moving next weekend, so it'll be interesting to see if the problem persists.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #1,241 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow peete, those are some impressive mods on your MkIII. I'm hanging in there, it's been an insane few months (finished school, wrote my thesis, started my job, moved three times, etc...). My poor MkIII hasn't been seeing much upgrade/rolling love lately since I've been spending my money on building an opus dac, and now an M^3 amp (a SS amp, but I love the look of tubes so it'll have a nixie tube vu meter
biggrin.gif
)

Yea, I'm thinking it's the transformer too, but I don't know if I'm within spec or if it should be silent. It's a good excuse to buy tube dampers and some of those spiked feet and cork for the amp
biggrin.gif
Mains voltage should be about 120VAC, but I've never bothered to stick my dmm in the socket to check. I'm moving next weekend, so it'll be interesting to see if the problem persists.

Thats a very cool VU meter idea! Please keep us posted!
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #1,243 of 3,408
Sep 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #1,245 of 3,408
I have a question.. about 2 weeks ago I received 2 sets of Sylvania tubes. I put one in, sounds awesome, great. I then try another set of tubes but decide to go back to the Sylvanias, but they really don't sound nearly as good as before.

What gives? Can burning in those tubes actually make them sound bad? :p I put the set i hadn't used yet in just now, and it sounds just as good as originally. There is a huge difference in the soundstage between the two sets, it's like night and day.

Question is.. are those tubes known to "close up" and muddle up the sound after burning in? It just seems weird to me that the sound would degrade after some use.

thanks for any insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back