Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Aug 1, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #1,171 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone use the MKIII with K501? If you do, what tube is your favorite?

Yep. With the k-501 I am torn between the Mullard 8161 (large shield) and the Russian Voshod 6ZH1P-EV.

The Russians give the k-501s a very nice weight and heft and increases the bass a tad.

The Mullards have superior instrument separation and spaciousness. The midrange is also sweeter than the Russians.

Which one I choose day in and day out depends on my mood so I say get both.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #1,172 of 3,408
Got the tubes from Yen today.

Out of the box the Mullard sounds pretty damn good, the Tung-Sols sound smooth but very recessed.

I'll start off by burning-in the Mullards since they sound much better out of the box
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #1,173 of 3,408
Yeah the M8161 is turning out to be my favorite tube by a decent margin - well of what I have anyway. I do have the 'russians' and much prefer the Mullards. I'd love to get my hands on some telefunkens or some Tung Sols, but the only ones I can seem to find are more pricey than I'd like.

I did grab a box of 8 NOS tubes - by some company called "Wireless Valve Electronics" for like $10 on ebay. Really I just wanted to 'future-proof' myself - have a bunch of tubes for just in case you know? Wasn't expecting much but they actually sound quite good! Certainly won't mind if that's all i have left.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #1,175 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by webghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RESISTOR not transistor mod
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess it's obvious I have my typing disconnected from my brain!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the catch!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #1,176 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone verify, if National 5654/6AK5W is made by Tung-Sol and is the same 403B tube of what everybody's talking here? Here's a photo of them too: http://members.shaw.ca/pacifictv/4national6ak5.jpg.

I looked to see if I had notes on this, which I don't. If those are the same ones Yen is selling, you should email him and ask. If he knows, he'll tell you. He's an honest guy for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

DoA, didn't National have everyone else make their tubes?

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #1,177 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone verify, if National 5654/6AK5W is made by Tung-Sol and is the same 403B tube of what everybody's talking here? Here's a photo of them too: http://members.shaw.ca/pacifictv/4national6ak5.jpg.

Those look like the exact same tubes I bought from Yen from the box to the color of print on the tube. He had them advertised as Tung-Sol re-branded as Nationals FWIW. OTW I wouldn't have bought them.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #1,178 of 3,408
The Russian Voshod 6ZH1P-EV + the K-701 is a pretty good combo.

UPDATE: Scratch that. This combo is awesome especially for rock/metal. I am hearing all types of guitar distortion that I have never heard even with my favorite rock cans the DR-150s.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #1,179 of 3,408
Scottie, what do you have your gain set to with the mullards?

I found that the original tubes sounded best at gain 3 but the mullards seem to sound their best on gain 4 imo. This is all with the same headphone A900.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #1,180 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Russian Voshod 6ZH1P-EV + the K-701 is a pretty good combo.

UPDATE: Scratch that. This combo is awesome especially for rock/metal. I am hearing all types of guitar distortion that I have never heard even with my favorite rock cans the DR-150s.

That's really interesting. I felt the same way, and I'm using HD-650s! I put on some older Rock, like Montrose, and it just blasts!
tongue_smile.gif
Very fun tubes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #1,181 of 3,408
Wow, I'm really enjoying the Tung-Sols on gain 4. This tube SLAMS, the impact of the bass is just crazy. This is without a doubt my favorite tube atm. It sounded really weak and distant on gain 3, making me want to turn the volume knob up more then necessary. But with gain set to 4 it's a different story. All tough I haven't completely burnt the mullards or the tung-sols in yet so things might change, hopefully for the better
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #1,182 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really interesting. I felt the same way, and I'm using HD-650s! I put on some older Rock, like Montrose, and it just blasts!
tongue_smile.gif
Very fun tubes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I absolutely love that Montrose debut album (my vinyl copy is minty mint)......Paper Money is ok but the first one is still a classic. Ol Sammy was made for Rock, his later 70's Solo LP's are pretty damn good as well !!!!!

Peete.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #1,183 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I'm really enjoying the Tung-Sols on gain 4. This tube SLAMS, the impact of the bass is just crazy. This is without a doubt my favorite tube atm. It sounded really weak and distant on gain 3, making me want to turn the volume knob up more then necessary. But with gain set to 4 it's a different story. All tough I haven't completely burnt the mullards or the tung-sols in yet so things might change, hopefully for the better
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Zool,

I'm a little confused. Are you changing gain settings with each type of tube?

If so, then I should explain something that will make it all easier to deal with. The gain adjustments are there to help you match your headphones to the amp. A high gain setting like 10, would be for 300-600 ohm headphones, and the scale decreases with less impedance. Once you have it set correctly for your headphones, you should never have to change the gain settings again, unless you try a different headphone in a different range.

The gain scale should be in the owner's manual. If not, let me know and I'll find mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

When rolling different tubes, you should only have to worry about which tube family they belong too. EF92 = jumpers on, EF95 = jumpers off. You shouldn't have to do any other settings.

See ya!

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #1,184 of 3,408
Quote:

I found that the original tubes sounded best at gain 3 but the mullards seem to sound their best on gain 4 imo. This is all with the same headphone A900.

I didn't know the gain settings change the sound of the tubes; something new to play with!

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #1,185 of 3,408
Quote:

I have my gain at 10 but that's because of my HD600s (300ohm) and really no other reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back