Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
May 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #931 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmiley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take this for what it's worth (this is my first tube amp). To my ears and with my setup, the CV131 does both the low end and high end better. And what really surprises me is that these are right out of the box!! I'll admit I'm skeptical when it comes to burning in cables, but I've become a big believer that tubes get better with burn in...because I can hear it.

The real difference for me is the bass..to me the M8161 was a little flabby..now, that may improve with more hours, but it's gonna be hard to pull the CV131 now. The bass is VERY tight and the low low notes really extend.

The mids sound about the same to me..which is to say spot on.

The highs with the CV131 are very natural sounding especially with high hat and other cymbols.

I will say that the CV131 sounds more colored to me..more tubey...more analog. If you into a very analytical or neutral sound these may not be for you.

As always, this just an opinion...others feel free to disagree..YMMV
biggrin.gif

I understand what you are saying.
I just rolled a pair of matched Telefunken CV 131 and they made me smile right out of the box.
First I swapped the 6ZH1P-EV's, which I really like, with the 8161's. After burning those in I swapped back to the 6ZH1P-EV's, I don't really like the 8161's but can't put my finger on the reason why I don't like them.
redface.gif

So now I am listening to the CV131, and loving every minute of it.
Can't wait for them to burn in.

May 29, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #932 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I could find for sure, is that they are 5654 compatibles. If they aren't to expensive, GO FOR IT.
smily_headphones1.gif
We need some NEW tube blood in here.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's good enough for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe. Well I have some Telefunken 6AK5's and I thought what better than to pit those against some Amperex PQ's
smily_headphones1.gif

Two pairs of PQ's for 18 bucks. Had to dig for a couple of hours to unearth these puppies buried in 50 pages of tubes. Do your leg work fella's , you too can unearth an E type find. E is the king of finding gems for not much jack
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #933 of 3,408
Well it happened again. Just like with my pair of Mullard EF91s my pair of Mullard 8161s have begun to distort when using anything but my hd580s. For some reason they still sound divine with my 580s probably because they are high impedance.

I might be done with the EF92/EF91 family after this. I just don't understand whats going on with them.

Does anybody know if this distortion eventually disappears with further use? I have already put in about 50 hours on both sets of Mullards and the distortion appeared at about the 45 hour mark for both.

May 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #934 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it happened again. Just like with my pair of Mullard EF91s my pair of Mullard 8161s have begun to distort when using anything but my hd580s. For some reason they still sound divine with my 580s probably because they are high impedance.

I might be done with the EF92/EF91 family after this. I just don't understand whats going on with them.

Does anybody know if this distortion eventually disappears with further use? I have already put in about 50 hours on both sets of Mullards and the distortion appeared at about the 45 hour mark for both.

I sure will try to help. Tell us the source data again, and also what gain settings are being used when this happens to the M8161s. Thanks!

May 29, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #936 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand what you are saying.
I just rolled a pair of matched Telefunken CV 131 and they made me smile right out of the box.
First I swapped the 6ZH1P-EV's, which I really like, with the 8161's. After burning those in I swapped back to the 6ZH1P-EV's, I don't really like the 8161's but can't put my finger on the reason why I don't like them.
redface.gif

So now I am listening to the CV131, and loving every minute of it.
Can't wait for them to burn in.

Exactly..I had such high hopes for the 8161s. I'm not saying they're a bad tube..maybe just not "exactly perfect" in my set up. I really want to try those Telefunken CV131s..if you ever want to do a Telefunken for Mullard trade for a couple of weeks..let me know.

CV131 FTW!!

May 30, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #937 of 3,408
Quote:

Exactly..I had such high hopes for the 8161s. I'm not saying they're a bad tube..maybe just not "exactly perfect" in my set up. I really want to try those Telefunken CV131s..if you ever want to do a Telefunken for Mullard trade for a couple of weeks..let me know.

CV131 FTW!!

You should try and get your hands on a pair of Tung Sol 403B. They worked really well with my SR80s while I had them.

May 30, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #938 of 3,408
Quote:

You should try and get your hands on a pair of Tung Sol 403B. They worked really well with my SR80s while I had them.

Yep..I've been looking for the Tung Sols and the Aperex 5654s.

May 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #939 of 3,408
Well I did some gain switching and the result is basically the same. I used a standalone CD player and my computer (320kbit aac/mp4 files) as sources. My Mullards definitely have some headphone impedance issue. My Goldring DR150s are rated 32 and my K-501s are 120. Both of these cans distort when the gain level set to 5 or 4 at below normal listening levels. The Goldrings distort badly on 10, 5, and 4 gain and on the lowest gain when the volume is slightly louder than normal listening levels.This is a real shame because out of the box, both pairs of tubes mated really well with both of these cans with no audible distortion even at higher than normal listening levels.

I have a 75 ohm impedance adapter which significantly reduces the distortion for each of these two cans but the result is still not listenable. Plus it makes my already hard to drive K-501s even more difficult to drive.

Unlike my other two cans the Senn HD580s (300 ohm) show no signs distortion. Its not just a night and day difference. It is the equivalent of midnight on Pluto versus actually standing on the Sun. The Mullards are made for Senns. The combo is so good I am really thinking about speeding up my timetable to buy a second amp just so I can keep my MKIII on EF92 mode just for the Senns. I imagine that the result is the same for any high impedance (250+) pair of cans.

I am going to try one more thing with these 2 pairs of tubes before I shelve them for a while. Both pairs have about 50 hours on them and distortion did not develop until about the 45 hour mark. I am going to do 5 intensive burn in session at eight hours a piece in order to get them both up to about 100 hours and then check for distortion.

May 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #940 of 3,408
Quote:

Well I did some gain switching and the result is basically the same. I used a standalone CD player and my computer (320kbit aac/mp4 files) as sources. My Mullards definitely have some headphone impedance issue. My Goldring DR150s are rated 32 and my K-501s are 120. Both of these cans distort when the gain level set to 5 or 4 at below normal listening levels. The Goldrings distort badly on 10, 5, and 4 gain and on the lowest gain when the volume is slightly louder than normal listening levels.This is a real shame because out of the box, both pairs of tubes mated really well with both of these cans with no audible distortion even at higher than normal listening levels.

I have a 75 ohm impedance adapter which significantly reduces the distortion for each of these two cans but the result is still not listenable. Plus it makes my already hard to drive K-501s even more difficult to drive.

Unlike my other two cans the Senn HD580s (300 ohm) show no signs distortion. Its not just a night and day difference. It is the equivalent of midnight on Pluto versus actually standing on the Sun. The Mullards are made for Senns. The combo is so good I am really thinking about speeding up my timetable to buy a second amp just so I can keep my MKIII on EF92 mode just for the Senns. I imagine that the result is the same for any high impedance (250+) pair of cans.

I am going to try one more thing with these 2 pairs of tubes before I shelve them for a while. Both pairs have about 50 hours on them and distortion did not develop until about the 45 hour mark. I am going to do 5 intensive burn in session at eight hours a piece in order to get them both up to about 100 hours and then check for distortion.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate! They are NOS, so it is possible that both pairs are bad, but the fact that you can drive the other phones with them and not have a problem, makes my mind wonder.
smily_headphones1.gif

Were you thinking of an SS amp for the second one?

May 30, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #942 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by systemerror909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on the sound of soviet tubes? I found this site:

6J1P-EV / EF95 / 6F32 / 6AK7 Russian pentode tube

Prices look pretty good, I haven't tried any tube rolling yet.

I think you will like them..especially for rock. Look the same as the ones Roger B sent me (thanks Roger). They may have a cool groove in them. I call mine 62H1P-EV, but the tube markings are identical...someone else may be able to elaborate...Go for it!!

May 31, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #943 of 3,408
Quote:

CV131 FTW!!

Ah, I already have some Mullards CV131 on the way.And also an other pair of Telefunken.
I don’t mind sending you a pair of Telefunken if you want to try them. You just have to wait until I have received the other pairs I ordered, at the moment I don’t want to go back to any other tubes I own.
biggrin.gif

Let me know where you live and I will send them to you to try them out.
It could take some time though.I expect the Telefunken at the end of next week.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #944 of 3,408
If you guys ever get a chance to try or buy Telefunken 6AK5's do it, they are wonderful, highly lively, unabashedly good toe tappers.....great tube. Detail in spades...relaxed top end, liquid smooth mids, yet not a hint of bloat/ripeness in bass or low mids.

Next up Amperex PQ E95F's, in a week or so..

Peete.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #945 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys ever get a chance to try or buy Telefunken 6AK5's do it, they are wonderful, highly lively, unabashedly good toe tappers.....great tube. Detail in spades...relaxed top end, liquid smooth mids, yet not a hint of bloat/ripeness in bass or low mids.

Next up Amperex PQ E95F's, in a week or so..

Peete.

Aren't they rather expensive though? All telefunkens I've seen have been very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back