Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
May 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #856 of 3,408
The 6ZHIP-EV sound very good with my AD2000
smily_headphones1.gif
I have about 17hours on them, but I'm not even sure if they were NOS or not, so I'm still waiting to see if any major changes will happen.

The biggest improvement from the stock tubes is the bass. They are better both in quantity and attack, both very welcome changes.

The added bass worked very well for the DT880 also. They are almost bass heavy now
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: The midrange is neutral and nothing special. They didn't help the midrange of DT880 very much, but I still like it very much.

May 8, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #858 of 3,408
Yeah I wouldn't get real excited about the 6cg7 yet. They are good tubes obviously with Mcintosh and Marantz amps using them for many years but they are not drop in replacements for 6n6p, just close enough to almost work.

It would be nice to get a review from people with the adapters using the 5687 and equivalents!

May 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #860 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 6ZHIP-EV sound very good with my AD2000
smily_headphones1.gif
I have about 17hours on them, but I'm not even sure if they were NOS or not, so I'm still waiting to see if any major changes will happen.

The biggest improvement from the stock tubes is the bass. They are better both in quantity and attack, both very welcome changes.

The added bass worked very well for the DT880 also. They are almost bass heavy now
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: The midrange is neutral and nothing special. They didn't help the midrange of DT880 very much, but I still like it very much.

That's great! You may find the 6Z's refining some more and the mids being a little better, after the first 45 or so hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #861 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the statute of limitations on parking tickets ? I have about 30 unpaid tickets in Boston Mass from the mid 80's. I'd just rip em up (every time I'd get one) and head home (Lived in NH at the time). There is no where to park in Boston. Just friggin' awful trying to find any spot that didn't have 6 different rules ,time zones, holiday rules......sheesh, worse than Toronto and that's bad.

I'll bet the final tally of combined fines was a few grand
smily_headphones1.gif
Young and dumb at the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny I haven't had a single parking ticket since then . Go figure.

Hey Peete,
You might want to watch out. Not sure what Boston does, or may do, but i got a parking ticket once when I was in Washington D.C. Did the same thing you did and forgot about it, till about a 2 years later when the good ole city of D.C. decided to give it to a collections agency. My credit report ended up getting dinged until I cleared the whole mess up.

My Little Dot MKIII should arrive today, I keep checking to see if there is a box on my door step every few mins, can't wait.

May 8, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #862 of 3,408
Hello everyone,
I have a bit of an odd request. I just got my little dot mkIII in the mail a few mins ago. Unfortunately one of the driver tubes was cracked in shipping. I purchased this amp from a fellow member here so I don't think contacting little dot would be of any use but I could be wrong. Is there anyone here that would be willing to sell me there stock driver tubes? Thanks everyone,

I had wanted to hear what the stock tubes could do before getting into tube rolling.

Crew

May 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #863 of 3,408
I'm done with little-dot. I'm selling all the tubes I bought for MK IV SE. I think there are five Sylvania 6AK5WB, two matched WE 403B, one pair of Sylvania Gold Brand Sylvania 5654, one pair of Amperex 5654, one pair of GE 5 star, one pair of TungSol 6ak5 (lettering gone), one pair of Sylvania black plate 6AK5, one pair of Mullard M8100 (no box), and one pair of EH 6H30PI Gold pin (no box). If you're interested, send me a pm before I post them up in FS forum. By the way, I'm still waiting for the Amperex and Sylvania black plate to arrive. I prefer sell them all together to save you on shipping. And these tubes are worth trying or having extra as back up.

Edit: didn't expect such high interest. I'll put them up in FS forum by tomorrow. I guess these 6ak5WB are really hot. I'm not trying to make any big profit, just trying to get what I paid for them back.

I just ordered a fully upgraded WA6 SE. Sold my little-dot to fund it, needing to sell these tubes.

May 8, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #865 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are five Sylvania 6AK5WB, two matched WE 403B, one pair of Sylvania Gold Brand Sylvania 5654, one pair of Mullard M8100 (no box)

I'm interested in the Sylvania's and possibly the Mullards. Will probably wait on FS though, as I'd like to know the price...

May 9, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #866 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewpsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Peete,
You might want to watch out. Not sure what Boston does, or may do, but i got a parking ticket once when I was in Washington D.C. Did the same thing you did and forgot about it, till about a 2 years later when the good ole city of D.C. decided to give it to a collections agency. My credit report ended up getting dinged until I cleared the whole mess up.

My Little Dot MKIII should arrive today, I keep checking to see if there is a box on my door step every few mins, can't wait.

Thanks for the fair warning. It's been about 23 years and haven't heard a peep from anything remotely related. Live in another country now to boot....

Your gonna love the MkIII
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #867 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm done with little-dot. I'm selling all the tubes I bought for MK IV SE. I think there are five Sylvania 6AK5WB, two matched WE 403B, one pair of Sylvania Gold Brand Sylvania 5654, one pair of Amperex 5654, one pair of GE 5 star, one pair of TungSol 6ak5 (lettering gone), one pair of Sylvania black plate 6AK5, one pair of Mullard M8100 (no box), and one pair of EH 6H30PI Gold pin (no box). If you're interested, send me a pm before I post them up in FS forum. By the way, I'm still waiting for the Amperex and Sylvania black plate to arrive. I prefer sell them all together to save you on shipping. And these tubes are worth trying or having extra as back up.

Edit: didn't expect such high interest. I'll put them up in FS forum by tomorrow. I guess these 6ak5WB are really hot. I'm not trying to make any big profit, just trying to get what I paid for them back.

I just ordered a fully upgraded WA6 SE. Sold my little-dot to fund it, needing to sell these tubes.

Wow a WA6SE. I'd like to get one in the future. He's moving up the food chain guys......hope the MKIV was enjoyable while you had it (noting quick sale the minute you post the FS ad)
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

May 9, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #868 of 3,408
I have found a set of stock tubes to replace the one damaged in shipping, thank you ethebull.

Now time to sit back and hear what this little amp can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #869 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

Look forward to your FS post.

About 6 MKIVse's were sold that had the bad resistors installed from the factory. Some were serviced and replacement resistors were installed to fix the problem. Some, got completely new MKIVse's like dan_can did.

The only thing I know is that recently he posted that he thought the new one had different caps in it, than his first one. I told him that mine has the same as his, and that's the last I ever heard of it.

I do know that the newer units take longer to "mature" than the earlier units, but I can't say for sure that this is due to the cap change/substitute. I do know that whoever buys his MKIVse, is getting a new MKIVse and it will still need to be "matured".

All I can say is that I hope he will like the new amp he gets. A lateral move might be just what he needs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back