Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
May 5, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #826 of 3,408
Hello everyone,
Recently just bought a mkIII off of the forsale section here. Before I start getting into tube rolling with this amp I have a question. How important is it to buy tubes that are "matched" for this amp? I see several auctions on ebay for tubes that seem to be recommended in this thread and wanted to know if I should pass and wait for a "matched" pair to come along or if buying two tubes (as long as they are the same brand/model) would be ok. Thank you for your time,
Crew

May 5, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #827 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ricco: What kind of headphones are you using? We've had mixed results with the EF91s not working in some cases.

Beyer dt880 pro's

Not even a hint of problem with the 91's. I hear some have been reporting distortion?

May 5, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #828 of 3,408
Recently had the opportunity to pick up some Mullard 8083/ef91 for a few bucks so I thought I'd give them a go....tried them with my Senns 580's and no distortion....but with my Grados 225's there is considerable distortion ... The use of different cans probably accounts for the conflicting reports of whether the ef91's work in the MKIII or not.. Something that P hinted at a while ago and maybe why Little Dot couldn't reproduce the distortion problem..(don't they use Sennheisers to test/develop the amps?)

May 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #829 of 3,408
So the trend seems to be that you need high-z headphones to make the EF-91s work...

May 5, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #830 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I almost forgot I had it... Is that Garfield??

I'm guessing the Mullards will be a little stronger in the lows, and a little darker than the EF95's... In other words, ROCKERS! does this sound about right?

I will bang the head that doesn't bang!

P.S., I can't wait to get the tubes you sent - ought to go well with these...

Hi Oatmeal
smily_headphones1.gif
I think it's a yellow gumby .....don't know why it's yellow...crazy kids these days
biggrin.gif

I'm not familiar with Mullards in this context. My familiarity with any NOS tubes is with 12AU7,12AX7, and 6922,7308. Mostly guitar amp and pre amp tube types. Although Mullards are highly prized no matter what the type, be it driver or power tube. E is sending me a set of Mullard EF92's in a trade, so that'll be my first taste with the MK III. I vaguely remember an old Marshall 2203 from years back with all ( 3 12AX7's, 4 EL34's) Mullard tubes. It sounded amazing IIRC.

Your tubes should arrive this week some time (if the post office can be trusted).

Enjoy !!!

Peete.

May 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #831 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewpsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,
Recently just bought a mkIII off of the forsale section here. Before I start getting into tube rolling with this amp I have a question. How important is it to buy tubes that are "matched" for this amp? I see several auctions on ebay for tubes that seem to be recommended in this thread and wanted to know if I should pass and wait for a "matched" pair to come along or if buying two tubes (as long as they are the same brand/model) would be ok. Thank you for your time,
Crew

There hasn't been much debate on the matched vs unmatched in this thread and in a way, I'm kinda glad.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think most folks will buy a matched set if the price is right, and if the price is too much, they'll buy unmatched pairs in a heart beat.

I've had very good luck both ways, so I follow a simple rule. If I can get the tubes for at or under $8 a tube, I'll buy unmatched. If I know the tube is a serious performer and the price is worth that performance, I'll buy the matched set for total accuracy. That's about it. Nothing too special.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #832 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently had the opportunity to pick up some Mullard 8083/ef91 for a few bucks so I thought I'd give them a go....tried them with my Senns 580's and no distortion....but with my Grados 225's there is considerable distortion ... The use of different cans probably accounts for the conflicting reports of whether the ef91's work in the MKIII or not.. Something that P hinted at a while ago and maybe why Little Dot couldn't reproduce the distortion problem..(don't they use Sennheisers to test/develop the amps?)

The last time I talked with DavidZ on this, they were still voicing their amps to Senns, but they were also evaluating them with K701s and one other brand (don't remember which one though). The intent was to understand how their amps sound with different headphones, so they could answer questions that might be more specific.

The EF91 is a real "oddball" situation. Even though they sound pretty good, they are not "show stoppers" by any means, so I agree with their standing on not recommending them. There is just too many variables.
smily_headphones1.gif
I use mine from time to time, but not for very long. Those Sylvania 5654's have me hooked big time.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #833 of 3,408
Pench does the RCA 6AK5 have a command variant ?

May 6, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #834 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pench does the RCA 6AK5 have a command variant ?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I saw a matched pair for sale once on eBay, but I haven't seen any since then. I'd sure like to try a set, if they exist!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #835 of 3,408
Matched vs. not matched…

I’ve bought or traded for more than my fair share of tubes, mostly out of curiosity. What do they sound like? Are these the hidden gem I’ve been seeking?… So I’ve collected about 12 or so varieties of driver tubes.

As Penchum says, it all depends on the price and the tube. If you are buying a tube just to check it out, with no particular confidence that this is the premium tube you plan to stick with for a majority of your listening, buying tested, NOS, un-matched has served me very well. Nearly all of the tubes I’ve bought this way have cost $2-6 each, including shipping, buying in a quantity of 4-10. If you really dig them you’ve got spares, and/or you’ve got a few to trade.

May 6, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #837 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do, I have a pair.
biggrin.gif

What do you think of them?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #838 of 3,408
Is there any sonic difference between the Mullard 8100 (EF95) and the Mullard 8161 (EF92). Has anyone compared these? I see some praise for the 8161, but I'd rather not use that tiny jumper with my sausage link fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back