Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 30, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #796 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take the hooker if she's NOS. That's one piece of gear I don't mind "breaking in" for 8 hours straight.
evil_smiley.gif

50$ shipped.

ROFLMAO.

For 50 bucks...she ain't gonna be a looker (of a hooker) and you'll have to supply the crack
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #797 of 3,408
E...just got through reading your BATR II (BigAssTubeReview II). Am I the freakin' king of the acronym or what ?
biggrin.gif

First off I like your writing style. Great job !!!! You and Pench get A+'s across the board for your reviews. It's great to have members such as these on this board. I've learned more here in 2 months ... you get the picture...

Very interesting observations with regards to harmonic structure and how the 6H30PI treats those structures. I have a feeling that since the 6H30 is so heavily built the usual 100 hrs burn in for these isn't realistic. I may be wrong.....

On another note....

I wonder what a set of cryo treated 6H30's would sound like.......maybe we could get some members together to send in a sizable batch (6H30's and EF95's) for cryo treatment ? I'd be willing to throw my hat into that venture.

Peete.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #798 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E...just got through reading your BATR II (BigAssTubeReview II). Am I the freakin' king of the acronym or what ?
biggrin.gif

First off I like your writing style. Great job !!!! You and Pench get A+'s across the board for your reviews. It's great to have members such as these on this board. I've learned more here in 2 months ... you get the picture...

Very interesting observations with regards to harmonic structure and how the 6H30PI treats those structures. I have a feeling that since the 6H30 is so heavily built the usual 100 hrs burn in for these isn't realistic. I may be wrong.....

On another note....

I wonder what a set of cryo treated 6H30's would sound like.......maybe we could get some members together to send in a sizable batch (6H30's and EF95's) for cryo treatment ? I'd be willing to throw my hat into that venture.

Peete.

Break! Hehehe
smily_headphones1.gif

The only problem I see with Cryo, is that it is terminal. Once done, that's it! No going back. The 6H30's are so refined and expensive enough, that I would have trouble giving up a pair for experimentation. I think most of us would feel the same way?

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #799 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Break! Hehehe
smily_headphones1.gif

The only problem I see with Cryo, is that it is terminal. Once done, that's it! No going back. The 6H30's are so refined and expensive enough, that I would have trouble giving up a pair for experimentation. I think most of us would feel the same way?

I see your point Pench. Curiosity is killing this cat
biggrin.gif
I'm going to do some poking around and see what's what with the cryo process. For all I know it's ridiculously expensive and renders the idea impotent from the get go.

Peete.

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #800 of 3,408
Why not just buy a pair of DR 6H30Pi rather than cryo-ing the EH if that's what we're talking about.

How much is the cryo process going to cost anyway? I've heard that there's a company in Arizona that does this, do you know anything about that Penchum?

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #801 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just buy a pair of DR 6H30Pi rather than cryo-ing the EH if that's what we're talking about.

How much is the cryo process going to cost anyway? I've heard that there's a company in Arizona that does this, do you know anything about that Penchum?

One of the guys (from Phoenix) in a Yahoo group I belong too, has used them before for tubes. He said it is only cheap if you have a quantity to be done. He also stated that he believed the process tightens up the tolerances, which makes for the sound changes. That's about all I know.

Looking at the DR's under a magnifier, they are very well built, and you can see the distances between parts of the elements and the entire cage, are very exact and do not vary from one end to the other. Looking at the EH's, you can see gaps and changes from top to bottom.

The NOS's appear to have less (gap size) changes than the EH's. I have no idea why, but I would guess that the quality control from the 70's in Russia was better than the new productions of EH's. I still think the EH's (matched) sound better than the NOS's (matched), but I need to spend more time with them in order to say that with a high degree of certainty. The NOS's appear to need a longer burn-in than the EH's, so this may account for misunderstandings early on. Soon, I'm going to put the NOS's in my MKIVse and run the heck out of them, to see if they mature any further.
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now, I'm running NOS's in my modded MKII, EH's in my modded MKIII and DR's in my MKIVse. I'm very happy with the results so far. I should qualify that by saying, "this isn't a path for everyone". I would not want to see everyone running around modding their MKIII's and buying 6H30's because I said so. I would be glad to PM anyone who is interested in my findings so far. I have held off posting my findings because I'm really not done yet, and I need to have this topic completely ironed out first.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #802 of 3,408
I'd like to give a shout out to RogerB who sent me a pair of Russian 6ZHIP-EV driver tubes absolutely free of charge. He even went so far as to send them priority shipping, so I could have them last weekend.
biggrin.gif

I've been listening to them all this week, (around 30 hours thus far) and I think they are wonderful. To my ears, they have a much wider soundstage than the stock drivers. It seems the Russians get along much better with each other. These have the groove in them and they are mucho groovy!!! I've been listening to all kinds of music..rock, jazz, bluegrass, and they seem to easily handle each genre well. My stock tubes were great for rock and bluegrass, but I think the 6ZHIP-EV really shines with small combo jazz.

I've been very pleased with the my stock drivers, but these new tubes really take it to another level.

May 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #803 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmiley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to give a shout out to RogerB who sent me a pair of Russian 6ZHIP-EV driver tubes absolutely free of charge. He even went so far as to send them priority shipping, so I could have them last weekend.
biggrin.gif

I've been listening to them all this week, (around 30 hours thus far) and I think they are wonderful. To my ears, they have a much wider soundstage than the stock drivers. It seems the Russians get along much better with each other. These have the groove in them and they are mucho groovy!!! I've been listening to all kinds of music..rock, jazz, bluegrass, and they seem to easily handle each genre well. My stock tubes were great for rock and bluegrass, but I think the 6ZHIP-EV really shines with small combo jazz.

I've been very pleased with the my stock drivers, but these new tubes really take it to another level.

JS, I agree 100%. Those little 6Z's are the biggest bang for the buck I have found so far. They really excel with multiple types of rock, and I found them to work well with all other types of music too. RogerB is a very nice person, with a good ear for tubes!! Hat's off to RogerB!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #806 of 3,408
May 2, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #808 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll have some soon enough.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, cripes it's like X-Mas year round in here
biggrin.gif

Head Fi and it's member Rule !!! (mostly
biggrin.gif
) !!!

Peete.

May 2, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #809 of 3,408
Oatmeal

I dig your Kung Fu caffiene capsule avatar
biggrin.gif

You'll be banging your head like my avatar when you put the heat to those Mullards
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #810 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oatmeal

I dig your Kung Fu caffiene capsule avatar
biggrin.gif

You'll be banging your head like my avatar when you put the heat to those Mullards
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, I almost forgot I had it... Is that Garfield??

I'm guessing the Mullards will be a little stronger in the lows, and a little darker than the EF95's... In other words, ROCKERS! does this sound about right?

I will bang the head that doesn't bang!

P.S., I can't wait to get the tubes you sent - ought to go well with these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back