Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #781 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 5687 MkIVse amps run the 408A driver tubes, correct me if I'm wrong.

DoA is correct fella's! The early models of MKIVse had 408A + 5687's. The 408A's are NOT compatable with the 403's. Someone tried this a while back and it didn't work, I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #782 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I know a local seller who has some Amperex Bugle Boy ECC82 and Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 tubes. Are these compatible with the LD?

Here's a simple tube compatibility checker I use.

Go to Vacuum tubes @ thetubestore. New and NOS electron tubes for any amplifier. and enter in the tube type you're curious about in their search for a tube field. Do the resulting tubes listed correlate to a known compatible? If not, the tube you're curious about is likely not compatible.

Mike, the short answer is no.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #783 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a simple tube compatibility checker I use.

Go to Vacuum tubes @ thetubestore. New and NOS electron tubes for any amplifier. and enter in the tube type you're curious about in their search for a tube field. Do the resulting tubes listed correlate to a known compatible? If not, the tube you're curious about is likely not compatible.

Mike, the short answer is no.

Thanks for the tip E. This tube hunting, it's better than Pokemons.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #784 of 3,408
Quote:

Thanks for the tip E. This tube hunting, it's better than Pokemons.

If you buy the Amperex Bugle Boy ECC82's and send'em to me, I'll send you a pair of Sylvania 6AK5WB's. $ wise, a better deal for me though
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #785 of 3,408
Quote:

The same brands are the players in the 6SN7 arena, but I've never owned gear that uses 5U4G's. I never got deep into vintage glass on my Golden Tube Audio EL34/6SN7 amp. The Svetlana EL34's are great, and I found a Chinese driver that I liked just fine (the Ken Rad is the primo 6SN7 type too). I used to own a pair of VTL 100 watt mono blocks. They came with Telefunken drivers that never let me down. Replaced the EL34's once on them.

One of the cool things about the LD has been how little I've had to spend to check out a whole bunch of vintage glass.

Thanks E, I suppose the same rules apply with rectifiers, reg, than JAN, than extra rugged being top o the heap.
Are Telefunken diamond plate (bottom) 6AK5's worth the coin ? (evil grin..)

Looks like I'll get me an RCA blk plate then a sylvania. I found some Svetlana NOS 5U4G's from 1960 and bought the lot of 4 for 45 bucks including shipping....man I love collecting all these damn tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a disease I think.
biggrin.gif
I should be set for rectifiers for the next 10 years or more now..

E I agree completely, what's more, that is what makes LD's tube choice all the more in-genius. I'm sure they had afford-ability in mind when they originally drew up the plans for their head amps. Smart !

How's the 6H30PI's treating you ? Any impressions yet of note ?

Regards,

Peete.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #786 of 3,408
Bah.....I just jumped on those 6AK5 Telefunkens
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope they are worth it !
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #787 of 3,408
Who makes Silverstone ? It's another 5U4G tube. Never heard of that one before.

Peete

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #788 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah.....I just jumped on those 6AK5 Telefunkens
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope they are worth it !
biggrin.gif

$87/4 jobbies out of Taiwan? Hope they are all they should be, but I'd be more comfortable getting them from a German seller meself.

Not familiar with Silverstone tubes, but it's a race car circuit and town in England.

Did you catch my Big Ass Tube Review a few pages back? I report on the EH Golds.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #789 of 3,408
Quote:

If you buy the Amperex Bugle Boy ECC82's and send'em to me, I'll send you a pair of Sylvania 6AK5WB's. $ wise, a better deal for me though
wink.gif

I have some Amperex white label 7308's (250 hrs on them) that I don't use anymore and some Phillips Jan 6922's with 10 hrs on them. I'll trade ya for a pair of those syl's and one pair of the Raytheons ( I think you said Raytheons...I'm not sure) you just scored. I'll throw in, as a bonus, a brand new set of NOS Voshod rocket label 6922's that I got from Upscale Audio (the 7308's from Upscale also). What do you say E ?

Regards,

Peete.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #790 of 3,408
Quote:

I have some Amperex white label 7308's (250 hrs on them) that I don't use anymore and some Phillips Jan 6922's with 10 hrs on them. I'll trade ya for a pair of those syl's and one pair of the Raytheons ( I think you said Raytheons...I'm not sure) you just scored. I'll throw in, as a bonus, a brand new set of NOS Voshod rocket label 6922's that I got from Upscale Audio (the 7308's from Upscale also). What do you say E ?

Regards,

Peete.

Aww man. I hope e has more than one pair of those Syl's because I'm getting destroyed here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #791 of 3,408
Quote:

$87/4 jobbies out of Taiwan? Hope they are all they should be, but I'd be more comfortable getting them from a German seller meself.

Not familiar with Silverstone tubes, but it's a race car circuit and town in England.

Did you catch my Big Ass Tube Review a few pages back? I report on the EH Golds.

Granted I was skeptical myself at first. I asked for a pic of all four tubes...er bottoms....
biggrin.gif

That lovely little diamond is there
smily_headphones1.gif
If I understand things correctly that little diamond is pretty darn near impossible to fake. I could be wrong though
smily_headphones1.gif

D'oh I go back a few pages and read her now !!! Thanks E for pointing that out to me.

Peete.

PS Silverstone, yep race track, tube ? Meh.....it's bundled with a Raytheon and a Philco 5U4G. Look to all be late 40's early 50's vintage. 35 bucks for all three in supposedly NOS condition and tested. Dunno. RCA and Sylvania never let me down before why change now ?
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #792 of 3,408
Quote:

Aww man. I hope e has more than one pair of those Syl's because I'm getting destroyed here.
biggrin.gif

Sorry Mike, did you have dibs on the Syl's ? If so then I apologize to you and E for my feverish tube hoarding practices, sometimes I forget to ask before blundering ahead.

Regards,

Peete.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #793 of 3,408
Quote:

Sorry Mike, did you have dibs on the Syl's ? If so then I apologize to you and E for my feverish tube hoarding practices, sometimes I forget to ask before blundering ahead.

Regards,

Peete.

Nah it's all good now. You have green light.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #794 of 3,408
Hmmm E's pondering the deal....maybe if I throw in a hooker, a case of scotch and the keebler elf (I'll have to hide the booze from the elf,obviously) he'll go for it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back